PDA

View Full Version : Several Basic Questions

Jan van Leyden
March 30th, 2020, 20:04
Im trying my first steps creating/modifying stuff for my 5e campaign. My first two items are the Rage feature of the Barbarian and the Bodyguard Fighting Style.

Thanks to the 5E Effects wiki page the rage feature works, but how can I implement check boxes to track usage. It must be something very simple, but I can't it. Solved!

The effect of the Fighting Style is basically GRANTDISATK, which apparently works only on attacks against the actor. Is there a way to bend it to affect anopther character? Or maybe to generate the effect on the target? Solved!

When I create a new power, the friendly red dragonhead ist added. Can I link it to some specific library entry?

Zacchaeus
March 30th, 2020, 21:56
If you are setting up effects for abilities first open up the ability and then switch to the actions tab and drag the ability into the window. this will set up a power group (and sometimes effects too). Once you have that then type a name into the right hand box and that will name the power group. You can then add effects by right clicking on the line and selecting the appropriate effects dialog from the radial menu. You can also set up any ability modifier used by the power group and the number of uses if all the power sin the groupp have a collective number of uses like the Monk Ki power etc. To set up uses for each effect seperately use perparation mode.

More information here. https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

And in these videos. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

GavinRuneblade
April 1st, 2020, 06:01
When I create a new power, the friendly red dragonhead ist added. Can I link it to some specific library entry?
Drag and drop into the description. See this screenshot.
I took the dragonborn breath weapon power and added it as an ability on my action tab by dragging and dropping. Then I unlocked it, opened a story entry and drag and dropped the story entry into the description field and now I have the icon to open that entry from inside the power.

Jan van Leyden
April 2nd, 2020, 18:00
On to the next one.

I want to add a little suprise for our sorcerer and set up automatic roles on the Wild Magic Surge table. How do I enforce a role on said table if a (hidden) d20 roll while casting a spell yields a 1?

Stv
April 2nd, 2020, 20:06
Hi Jan,
I think the most streamlined way of doing this would be to have it coded into an extension, although some interaction from the DM will still be required I think.
I'm working on something similar atm, if I get it finished I'll post back here to let you know.

Cheers, Steve.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2020, 20:07
Will have to write an extension. You can look at the crit/fumble tables and mechanics for a starting point.

Stv
April 3rd, 2020, 14:33
Jan,
let me know the name of the table you are rolling on for the Wild magic surge (exact name, including caps) and I 'll have something for you to look at soon.

Cheers, Steve.

Jan van Leyden
April 3rd, 2020, 16:05
The table is called "Wild Magic Surge". It's part of the PHB.

Stv
April 3rd, 2020, 16:50
Give this a shot, it's along the lines of what you want I think.
Type /wildmagic to use.
It'll then roll a d20 for th DM, and then roll on the table if the d20 was a 1.

Cheers, Steve.

Jan van Leyden
April 3rd, 2020, 20:15
Thank you, Steve! Your /wildsurge has been assigned to my F1 key. :)

Stv
April 3rd, 2020, 20:15
Glad I could help :)

Bonkon
April 5th, 2020, 20:55
Good Day Stv :)
This is nice :) Is there a adjust the number it triggers on, like a 1 or 2? And possibly modify or change to target table? Like Rob2e's? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30462-Here-s-my-new-d100-Wild-Magic-Surge-Table

Thanks for all you do!

Stv
April 6th, 2020, 10:21
Hi Bonkon,
What you ask is possible quite easily, just unpack the ext file and change the values in the script file to be what you need.
If you're not comfortable with that then let me know and I'll do it for you.

Cheers, Steve.

Bonkon
April 6th, 2020, 22:07
Good Day Stv :)
Thanks, I was just curious since I have never messed with any Ext except to use a lot you talented and generous people post here :)
I need to look in on how to "Unpack" the file to look at it. :)

Stv
April 6th, 2020, 22:18
rename the .ext file to a .zip file.
Then you can unzip it and get access to the files inside :)

Cheers, Steve.

Jan van Leyden
April 14th, 2020, 19:52
Do you hear the sound of me banging my head against the wall? No, ok, I'll try a little harder: I just rolled the attack without targetting the barbarian. :(

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2020, 20:22
Yes, it does work.

Jan van Leyden
April 14th, 2020, 21:15
Now that the characters have levelled up I want tio set up the stuff for level 2.

For the Recklaess Attack of the Barbarian, Im using

Reckless Attack; ADVATK: melee; GRANTADVATK:[SELF]

It handles the advantage nicely, but doesn't yield the same to the attackers. NOw, shouldn't it?

dbm
April 15th, 2020, 10:50
Now that the characters have levelled up I want tio set up the stuff for level 2.

For the Recklaess Attack of the Barbarian, Im using

Reckless Attack; ADVATK: melee; GRANTADVATK:[SELF]

It handles the advantage nicely, but doesn't yield the same to the attackers. NOw, shouldn't it?
If that is literally what you are using then you seem to be missing a semi-colon compared to the example posted by @Zacchaeus? (It should end GRANTADVATK:;[SELF] if I am reading correctly)

I also have a question on this topic; could I add a second attack to my player’s barbarian for their axe and add this effect as a follow-up to that attack option? So using that attack would implement the advantage for him and his enemies?

Zacchaeus
April 15th, 2020, 13:03
I also have a question on this topic; could I add a second attack to my player’s barbarian for their axe and add this effect as a follow-up to that attack option? So using that attack would implement the advantage for him and his enemies?

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't apply an effect to a weapon. The effect is placed in the actions tab and the player activates the effect from there whenever it is needed.

dbm
April 15th, 2020, 13:12
I'm not sure what you mean. You can't apply an effect to a weapon. The effect is placed in the actions tab and the player activates the effect from there whenever it is needed.

Thanks for the reply. I’m new to this so please forgive any newb misunderstandings. :)

From my experience so far, every PC has a set of attack options which simply do an attack for their weapon. I would like to add a second attack button (just for the barbarian’s axe - he’s a one-trick pony) which includes the effect of Reckless Attack. So, clicking the normal attack button would just attack as normal, using the reckless attack option would attack with the axe but ‘recklessly’.

Does that make more sense?