PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question about Temporary Ability Damage

Terenn
March 30th, 2020, 18:12
Hello,

Only question to come out of our trial run last night - If a PC casts a spell that reduces ability score (i.e. Ray of Enfeeblement) on an NPC, how is that applied to the NPC? I couldnt find in the combat tracker a place to reduce the strength score, and ended up manually using a modifier for each roll that it was applicable to, but didnt know if that was the best way...

Thanks!

LordEntrails
March 30th, 2020, 18:16
Not sure... Did you try to apply the correct effect to the NPC such as "STR:-2" ?

Terenn
March 30th, 2020, 18:20
Not sure... Did you try to apply the correct effect to the NPC such as "STR:-2" ?

No - I checked the effects but didnt see one that is applicable. I am assuming that would be a custom effect? If so, would that be a -2 to the score, or to the modifier?

Thanks

tahl_liadon
March 30th, 2020, 19:22
[edited... stay tuned -- sorry see below]

Trenloe
March 30th, 2020, 19:38
No - I checked the effects but didnt see one that is applicable. I am assuming that would be a custom effect? If so, would that be a -2 to the score, or to the modifier?
See the "Abilities" section of the Modifiers table here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/3.5E_Effects#Modifiers

STR applies temporary damage (if it's negative) to the ability score. STR:-2 is 2 points of STR damage.

Note: In PF1 you don't actually apply temp damage directly to the ability score, instead every 2 points of damage results in a -1 modifier. Hence STR:-1 doesn't do anything, STR:-2 or STR:-3 results in a -1 penalty, etc..

mhossom
July 26th, 2020, 19:34
Thread necromancy.

How would I have FGC roll a random amount of ability damage?

A PC picked up a weapon that does 1d4 Dex damage 7/day.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out.

Kelrugem
July 26th, 2020, 20:16
Thread necromancy.

How would I have FGC roll a random amount of ability damage?

A PC picked up a weapon that does 1d4 Dex damage 7/day.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out.

There is only the manual way :) (so manually roll d4 and then add the effect with the correct number) But I remember that you once asked a question about my extensions: When you use any package where save versus tags is contained (or the extension itself), then use DEX: [-1d4] :) (but it needs to be applied from an actions tab to make it work :) When it worked you should see that [-1d4] is automatically replaced with some number :) (no physical die for that though))

mhossom
July 26th, 2020, 21:09
There is only the manual way :) (so manually roll d4 and then add the effect with the correct number) But I remember that you once asked a question about my extensions: When you use any package where save versus tags is contained (or the extension itself), then use DEX: [-1d4] :) (but it needs to be applied from an actions tab to make it work :) When it worked you should see that [-1d4] is automatically replaced with some number :) (no physical die for that though))

I made it work with this effect:
ABIL: -1d4, DEX;

Only problem is that I can only apply it once. After that FG tells me that is already applied and will not apply it again. I will probably just use the manual method for now.

Sadly, I need to keep Naval Combat enabled due to playing through SKull & Shackles and can't use your extension at the same time.

Kelrugem
July 26th, 2020, 21:42
I made it work with this effect:
ABIL: -1d4, DEX;

Only problem is that I can only apply it once. After that FG tells me that is already applied and will not apply it again. I will probably just use the manual method for now.

Sadly, I need to keep Naval Combat enabled due to playing through SKull & Shackles and can't use your extension at the same time.

Ah, I see :) I think the remove effect extension then works: There is the STACK: operator which allows to apply the same effect more than once :) So, STACK: ABIL: -1d4, dexterity or STACK: DEX: [-1d4] (the latter in my extension, because it would not apply the same effect twice when the same number is rolled)

By the way ABIL: -1d4 rolls always the d4 each time when the ability is rolled, and it is only applied for ability checks. So, when you stick with the manual method, then I would suggest rolling the d4 manually and then apply DEX: -[whatever you rolled] :)

mhossom
July 26th, 2020, 21:57
Ahhhhh!! I didn't know that about ABIL. Looks like we will be using the manual method for now. Not a big deal. That player is my son and he insist on rolling real dice anyway.

Kelrugem
July 26th, 2020, 22:14
Ahhhhh!! I didn't know that about ABIL. Looks like we will be using the manual method for now. Not a big deal. That player is my son and he insist on rolling real dice anyway.

ah, cool :) Yeah, then manually rolling is even better :) Have fun :D

Asgurgolas
July 26th, 2020, 23:36
There is the STACK: operator which allows to apply the same effect more than once :)

it doesn't work like that for me though... I tried an effect of "STACK: ATK: 1; DMG: 1", but even stacking it 10 times it still only adds 1 to both attack and damage

bmos
July 27th, 2020, 01:32
it doesn't work like that for me though... I tried an effect of "STACK: ATK: 1; DMG: 1", but even stacking it 10 times it still only adds 1 to both attack and damageYeah, I think it only works for mirror image and stuff like that which has the number at the front.

Kelrugem
July 27th, 2020, 01:36
it doesn't work like that for me though... I tried an effect of "STACK: ATK: 1; DMG: 1", but even stacking it 10 times it still only adds 1 to both attack and damage

Oh, yeah, I confused it. It is MULTI: ..., so, e.g. MULTI: ATK: 1; DMG: 1 (you will then see a number in front of each separate effect, but separated with a semicolon such that this number is informational-only (that is how it circumvents that thing which prohibits to apply the same effect)) :) STACK is indeed for numbering the same effect without creating new ones

Asgurgolas
July 27th, 2020, 04:00
I didn't even know of the existance of this MULTI command >____>

mozmonar
July 29th, 2020, 00:07
Ah, I see :) I think the remove effect extension then works: There is the STACK: operator which allows to apply the same effect more than once :) So, STACK: ABIL: -1d4, dexterity or STACK: DEX: [-1d4] (the latter in my extension, because it would not apply the same effect twice when the same number is rolled)

Oh, yeah, I confused it. It is MULTI: ..., so, e.g. MULTI: ATK: 1; DMG: 1 (you will then see a number in front of each separate effect, but separated with a semicolon such that this number is informational-only (that is how it circumvents that thing which prohibits to apply the same effect)) :) STACK is indeed for numbering the same effect without creating new ones

Am I to infer from the above two quotes that MULTI: DEX: [-1d4] should work to place a "stacking" random penalty to DEX on a creature in the CT if this is triggered from the action tab? If so, then it doesn't appear to work for me. Instead it just adds single instance of 1; DEX: [-1d4] and then chat window reports that Effect ['1; DEX: [-1d4]'] -> [ALREADY EXISTS] [on blah blah blah] for each additional attempt to add it. However, MULTI: DEX: -1 does indeed add multiple instances of x; DEX: -1 that stack penalties on the creature.

Kelrugem
July 29th, 2020, 00:21
Am I to infer from the above two quotes that MULTI: DEX: [-1d4] should work to place a "stacking" random penalty to DEX on a creature in the CT if this is triggered from the action tab? If so, then it doesn't appear to work for me. Instead it just adds single instance of 1; DEX: [-1d4] and then chat window reports that Effect ['1; DEX: [-1d4]'] -> [ALREADY EXISTS] [on blah blah blah] for each additional attempt to add it. However, MULTI: DEX: -1 does indeed add multiple instances of x; DEX: -1 that stack penalties on the creature.

Ah, oki, that could mean that DEX: [-1d4] does not react as I think, I may need to look at this :) I simply assumed that Nickademus's extension simply works for all possible effect types. But seemingly it doesn't, the [-1d4] is also not replaced with a number.

Thanks for the report, that means that the remove effect extension is incompatible with the tags in square brackets. I just tested, this is not an incompatibility with my extension. When you just load the remove effect extension and try something similar with MULTI: DEX: [-STR], then you get a similar problem. So, the operator MULTI does not react well with [...] :) Probably something similar with STACK. The remove effect extension needs to be adjusted for that :)

mhossom
July 29th, 2020, 00:21

Do you have Kelrugem's extension loaded? If I understood right, the [-1d4] function was from his extension and not the base FG effects.

mozmonar
July 29th, 2020, 00:30
Do you have Kelrugem's extension loaded? If I understood right, the [-1d4] function was from his extension and not the base FG effects.

Yes, I do.

mhossom
July 29th, 2020, 00:31
Well, damn. That's all I got. Wish I could be more helpful.

Kelrugem
July 29th, 2020, 00:34
Oh, we answered at the same time :) I directly answered immediately before mhossom's answer :) (thanks for the help :) ) Just in case my answer got overseen due to posts posted at the same time :D

Just short summary again: The remove effect extension seemingly does not cater square bracket stuff [...] of effects :) you may want to report it there, but not sure whether the developer still updates their extension

mozmonar
July 29th, 2020, 02:04
Oh, we answered at the same time :) I directly answered immediately before mhossom's answer :) (thanks for the help :) ) Just in case my answer got overseen due to posts posted at the same time :D

Just short summary again: The remove effect extension seemingly does not cater square bracket stuff [...] of effects :) you may want to report it there, but not sure whether the developer still updates their extension

Yeah, I saw it. Posted to the relevant extension thread.

I have a question that is tangentially related. Have you, by chance, ever added in a tag similar to the LVL one that currently exist but instead is for CL (and its derivation of CL3 as I assume H[CL] would somewhat work for even/odd CL) that could be used in an effect line? Use case would be spell effects that are caster level dependent but are not tied to duration or damage. In the OP's post he mentions ray of enfeeblement. It imposes a penalty to STR of 1d6+1 per two caster levels. So something like STR: -1d6-H[CL] would sort of do the trick. Now it has a cap of (1d6+5) to the penalty and I am not sure how or if that could accounted for.

Kelrugem
July 29th, 2020, 02:10
Yeah, I saw it. Posted to the relevant extension thread.

I have a question that is tangentially related. Have you, by chance, ever added in a tag similar to the LVL one that currently exist but instead is for CL (and its derivation of CL3 as I assume H[CL] would somewhat work for even/odd CL) that could be used in an effect line? Use case would be spell effects that are caster level dependent but are not tied to duration or damage. In the OP's post he mentions ray of enfeeblement. It imposes a penalty to STR of 1d6+1 per two caster levels. So something like STR: -1d6-H[CL] would sort of do the trick. Now it has a cap of (1d6+5) to the penalty and I am not sure how or if that could accounted for.

The tag [CL] does already exist in the native code :) and you'd need [-HCL], but the problem is that two tags in square brackets can't be combined in one effect. So, rather try: STR: [-1d6]; STR: [-HCL] :) That should do the trick, I think :) (but the max mod of -5 can't be coded, For levels >= 10 one simply should then use STR: [-1d6-5])

mozmonar
July 29th, 2020, 02:47
The tag [CL] does already exist in the native code :) and you'd need [-HCL], but the problem is that two tags in square brackets can't be combined in one effect. So, rather try: STR: [-1d6]; STR: [-HCL] :) That should do the trick, I think :) (but the max mod of -5 can't be coded, For levels >= 10 one simply should then use STR: [-1d6-5])

Yeah that works. I know it seems like a trivial thing. But about half my players are new to RPGs (and computers to a lesser extent) and I (as the GM) end up maintaining and updating their characters for them for the most part. The more stuff I can make "fire and forget" so to speak the easier it is on my sanity.

Kelrugem
July 29th, 2020, 03:31
Yeah that works. I know it seems like a trivial thing. But about half my players are new to RPGs (and computers to a lesser extent) and I (as the GM) end up maintaining and updating their characters for them for the most part. The more stuff I can make "fire and forget" so to speak the easier it is on my sanity.

Ah, I understand :) Gladly, it works :)