PDA

View Full Version : Surely there's something I'm missing. Maps are dark when LOS is turned on...

jdpatl
March 29th, 2020, 20:25
I would love to use LoS. Migrated my campaign over and started drawing walls and doors in a very small area.

But when LoS is turned ON, the players cannot even see the room they are in, much less through doors. The GM view shows the LOS "cones" and the unmasked rooms, but the player's screen is completely black.

How can I get it so the players can see?? I know I can turn LoS off and just use masks like I did in FGC, but... I want LoS?!

Not asking for dynamic lighting right now... just light.

Thanks! Have a session tonight, would love to get past this...

bmos
March 29th, 2020, 21:16
You have to put the player token into the room on the map. Have you done that?

Andraax
March 29th, 2020, 21:26
Do you have the mask turned on? LOS only works in areas that are unmasked. Also, on the player client, the LOS cones don't show until the token is selected by the player.

jdpatl
March 29th, 2020, 21:59
>You have to put the player token into the room on the map. Have you done that?

The tokens were already in the room, in fact the players can move them but the walls prevent movement, so I was pretty sure they are considered "on the map" but...

I removed them and re-placed them from the Combat Tracker and now they are ... better? They were apparently "copies" but not linked to the players.

Thanks for the hint!!!

jdpatl
March 29th, 2020, 22:27
Ok, still a bit odd way of working, but at least it's better.

The room is still completely dark on the client... until you click a player, and then the room comes into view.

So, combination of two things... I had "dead" tokens on the screen that weren't really attached to the players... and when no player is selected, the entire map is black.

Again, thanks!

Moon Wizard
March 31st, 2020, 01:08
By default, players will only see LoS for tokens they own (i.e. they own the PC record, the PC record has been added to CT, and the token dragged from CT to map). (i.e. personal view)
Players can also view other friendly token LoS, but must select them to see their LoS. (i.e. party view)

Regards,
JPG

tlavalle
March 31st, 2020, 03:25
ok, question when I try to drag a character token on the map the token is grey out. what am I missing there?

jdpatl
March 31st, 2020, 05:52
ok, question when I try to drag a character token on the map the token is grey out. what am I missing there?

My problem was that the icons were not the "real" players...

Grab the token from the combat tracker and drag it to the map... that's what fixed it for me. The other tokens weren't really "attached" to the players, so I just deleted them.

Midknyte
June 19th, 2021, 20:55
You may have already gotten this figured out as it was a couple months back now, but in case anyone else runs into this here's what I did.

For one of my campaigns I run I use FG on my laptop and a second instance of FG connected as a player showing on a flat TV in the middle of the table. We use this for maps and to display stuff. The problem I was having was that I could select a token for a player and we'd see their vision. Then for the next player, if we didn't know where they were we couldn't select their token to have their vision. We couldn't even see the token. Hard to pick a token randomly in the dark so that you can select their vision. I'm hoping the interface might be updated at some point to fix this issue.

Anyways in the Options in the Token section change Party vision and movement to On. This lets you see the tokens even when they are in pitch black. Once they are selected, then you get their vision. Hope this helps.

wndrngdru
June 20th, 2021, 02:00
@Midknyte
Token vision is a toggle. Click the token to turn it on for that token. Click it again to turn it off for that token. You should then be able to see the other token(s) to select.

magnus1
June 20th, 2021, 02:10
The players I have in unity can't see the maps I drop on them at all. It has ruined my game so far...a horrible playing experience at best!

Griogre
June 20th, 2021, 03:00
Do they have lights?

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2021, 03:29
The players I have in unity can't see the maps I drop on them at all. It has ruined my game so far...a horrible playing experience at best!
We are going to need more info in order to help. If you can't get on the FG or FGC discord servers for help, we will at least need screen shots from the GM and player plus logs. There is some step or setting that needs to be corrected, but at this point we are just guessing without more info.

JShadow007
June 20th, 2021, 17:28
Related, but possibly different issue: One thing that I’ve noticed is the fog of war for areas that are without light AND are not near the PCs’ tokens does seem to be quite dark. Not sure what some of my players’ setups are, but I notice it when I’m previewing player vision as GM.

Is there a way to adjust how dark the fog of war is?

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2021, 18:21
There isn't a way to adjust the Fog of War colour. It's meant to be dark grey as in my image below - is this not what you are seeing?

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2021, 18:30
No light? Out of range of vision? Then shouldn't players see nothing?

JShadow007
June 20th, 2021, 18:33
There isn't a way to adjust the Fog of War colour. It's meant to be dark grey as in my image below - is this not what you are seeing?

That’s what I’m seeing. I have pretty terrible eyes, so maybe it’s just me, but against the black background of the map, the dark gray makes the previous areas pretty tough to spot. My players had issues, for instance, knowing where exactly they were able to go in the middle of a fight—their allies had gone down another corridor that they weren’t able to easily see in the corridor they were in, so they weren’t really sure where they could move. It was a darker-colored map to begin with which didn’t help either.

Relatively minor, but some sort of slider to adjust just how “foggy” the fog of war is might be a nice enhancement.

JShadow007
June 20th, 2021, 18:34
No light? Out of range of vision? Then shouldn't players see nothing?

And some of this works well in terms of immersion, I certainly can see that point. It’s just hard for them to even know where the places that they had already explored were because it was just quite that dark.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2021, 18:42
Oh, ok. Previously explored versus unexplored. Now I get it.

I know the devs have played with this. It's a challenge because they have bright light, dim, dark vision, fog, etc that we want all to be distinctly different, yet only so much visible spectrum. To work with.

Check out the wish list in Mr Zs signature. Idea might be there already, if not you can add it.

Artimer1
January 2nd, 2023, 16:42
My issue feels kindof similar to this one, so I'll post it here:

I have been making this map, and set up LOS on it, and the LOS works the way I expect, which is great. Weirdly though, there is one particular set of items that appear to the player as really really very dark grey when it is supposed to be light colored wood. The weird thing is that other items that are also wood are showing up as the proper color. I am attaching images to show you how it looks when I am seeing the map in edit mode, then how it looks when I am in edit mode with the LOS tab selected (so you can see what LOS stuff there is in that part of the map) then another image of how it looks to the player, and then another image of the "Actions" pannel in play mode so you can see what settings I have on. I have not used masks nor have I used any light source functionalities.

Also, the map is a bunch of duplicated trees with wooden platforms around them, and the wooden platform is the only thing in the entire map that this is happening to (but it's happening with all instances of it on the map). I tried using a different image to paint a new wooden platform thinking that maybe the problem was with that specific wood, but no matter what kind of wood I tried painting with, I see this exact same issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

In edit mode

In edit mode in LOS tab

What player sees

Actions pannel

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2023, 17:50
We'd need to see the layers that you have on the map. The order of the layers and whether they are visible or not is the key here I think. It's possible that some of the layers are only visible to the DM or are invisible.

Artimer1
January 2nd, 2023, 18:45
We'd need to see the layers that you have on the map. The order of the layers and whether they are visible or not is the key here I think. It's possible that some of the layers are only visible to the DM or are invisible.

Everything is set to "Visible to All", but in the layers in the picture, the platform that the token is standing on is: Level 4 > A2(Copy)(Copy)... > Talon(Copy).. > Base floor (C...

For some reason my image is not getting attached, gonna try to post a reply with it

Artimer1
January 2nd, 2023, 18:45

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2023, 19:48
I don't know the answer then. It may have something to do with the order of your layers or folders; or the fact that the LoS is on three different layers - two of which are unnamed. It may have to do with the fact that there's so many copies of copies or that you have folders inside of folders (I'm not sure you are supposed to have folders inside folders). You could try switching on and off the visibility of folders or layers to see if you can isolate it.

Mike Serfass
January 2nd, 2023, 20:00
Can you zip your campaign and post it for us to look at?

Artimer1
January 2nd, 2023, 21:32
Can you zip your campaign and post it for us to look at?

Attached, thanks!

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2023, 21:58
You don't have lighting turned on :) And the token has no lights/and or there's no ambient light on.

Artimer1
January 2nd, 2023, 22:32
You don't have lighting turned on :) And the token has no lights/and or there's no ambient light on.

Oh holy crap! Thank you!