PDA

View Full Version : Sunless citadel

Ryld
January 15th, 2007, 23:49
anybody have "the sunless citadel" publish by code monkey publishing a while back?
or know where i can get it?

Ged
January 16th, 2007, 05:53
Due to the fact that Code Monkey Publishing (www.codemonkeypublishing.com) does not anymore have the WotC license, they have withdrawn that product, if I remember correctly, the last day it could be purchased was the 30th of November 2006. So, I guess you are out of luck :(

Ryld
January 16th, 2007, 15:17
is there a different version from some1 with the wotc license ? :D

richvalle
January 16th, 2007, 15:38
Nope.

rv

Griogre
January 16th, 2007, 22:10
Only Code Monkey had a license to publish WoTC items and I think it was mostly a left over from them fixing e-Tools for WoTC. Wizards did not extent Code Monkey’s license recently (which cause a great deal of speculation about the reason).

Haplo
January 16th, 2007, 22:23
For those legally inclined out there:

If I had a purchased copy of this module and I sold it to Ryld for the exact same price I purchased it for as well as completely deleted it from my computer, would that be feasible?

Basically, it's as if he purchased it directly from Code Monkey prior to the embargo...

Griogre
January 16th, 2007, 22:45
Haplo, you would have to read the license to know for sure. Most licenses actually do not allow this type of transfer - though some do. On a practical note I would be shocked if you did this and really deleted your copy if anyone would give you any trouble - but I am not a lawyer or a publisher with an axe to grind.

What is important to understand is that even though it is "like" he bought it from Code Monkey - legally it is not the same. It might be easier to see if you though of the module as a bus that WoTC leased to Code Monkey so they could drive people around. When the bus lease expired with Code Monkey, WoTC took their bus back. As you might guess, WoTC might not be too trilled with you if because you rode the bus when it was operated by Code Monkey you suddenly sold a seat on WoTC's bus to someone else.

Nokameeno
January 16th, 2007, 23:02
That is an excellent observation Griogre. That breaks it down using a simple analogy everyone can understand....kudos!

LordTomar
January 16th, 2007, 23:13
It might be easier to see if you though of the module as a bus that WoTC leased to Code Monkey so they could drive people around. When the bus lease expired with Code Monkey, WoTC took their bus back. As you might guess, WoTC might not be too trilled with you if because you rode the bus when it was operated by Code Monkey you suddenly sold a seat on WoTC's bus to someone else.

Now if he really did delete his copy after selling it, then it would more like selling his ticket (or bus pass) to someone else. But yeah it really depends on a lot of things now because of the license not being renewed.

Haplo
January 16th, 2007, 23:23
I was always under the assumption that I should treat the software that I purchase as actual hardware, meaning that I can't make a copy of it. So if I purchased a piece of hardware, I can throw, give, sell it... like buying a Mazda. You can't legally copy a car and call it a mazda using the logos, etc. of that company but you can resell a car that you purchased from Mazda... Does that not make sense?

LordTomar
January 16th, 2007, 23:28
Make sense? sure. But in reality, there is no way of really proving you didnt make copies of the software and distributed it to whoever you wanted too. Maybe if it wasnt so easy to make copies of software, then the companies wouldnt be so anal about it.

MaineCoon
January 16th, 2007, 23:40
Haplo, you would have to read the license to know for sure. Most licenses actually do not allow this type of transfer - though some do. On a practical note I would be shocked if you did this and really deleted your copy if anyone would give you any trouble - but I am not a lawyer or a publisher with an axe to grind.

Doctrine of first sale, but even thats murky.

As long as he has destroyed his own copy (that is, it is a real transfer of ownership), theres little legal ground anyone can do anything about, and its not financially worthwhile to legally pursue anyway, so it's a kind of pointless argument. If you want to do it, who cares, who can stop you, and what can they really do if they want to stop you?

There is a purchased license, and licenses are almost always transferrable; it takes a very watertight SIGNED license agreement to prevent that AND someone willing to take it to court to keep you from re-selling a license to something you bought. Look at the used game market with EB Games and GameStop for precedent; the lack of a physical disc does not change the situation much.

It's not much different than, say, me buying 8 FG licenses in a bulk sale and giving the licenses to my game group and having them reimburse me the cost.

Ryld
January 17th, 2007, 02:15
i'm confused so i'm jsut going to say this

i like riding on the bus! :D

kepli
January 17th, 2007, 13:00
The best tip I can give is this: when in doubt, leave it be ;)

Ged
January 19th, 2007, 20:56
If somebody here wants to trade or otherwise make available the said module, please ping the Code Monkey Publishing (www.codemonkeypublishing.com) forums and ask how you should go about it if the license terms in the product do not tell it directly. :ogre:

aus73
August 14th, 2007, 02:57
Just got into fantasy grounds and found this thread. Me and my friends deal a lot with computers and software. Um, to better answer your question, it USED to be that you were allowed to make any number of copies of something you bought (CDs, video tapes, software, etc) for backup purposes only so long as the EULA didn't specifically state otherwise. However, do to the Digital Millenium Act, that is no longer the case. With the exception of MP3s you make from CDs that you personally purchase, you can no longer do that; it's considered piracy/hacking. (Before you ask the question, I don't THINK there are any laws limiting companys like CD Connection or Game Crazy from selling previously owned products that they purchased off of the original owner, but the various organizations involved are SEVERELY leaning on these companies to stop it. They're even trying to get internet radio to be a pay-to-listen service.) Of course, this is also according to United States law. I don't know what it is like for other countries. So, if you made a copy, sold it to the new person, then deleted it from your hard drive, in the US, you BOTH would be guilty of cybercrime. You would be guilty because you made a copy of a digital product as well as selling the copy, and the customer would be guilty of buying "stolen" property. Hope this better answer's your question.