PDA

View Full Version : One House - Three Separate Accounts - Zero Connection

BandGuy1
March 26th, 2020, 02:28
Good evening. . .

I've recently bought 2 additional full licenses for Fantasy Grounds (bringing my total to 3) so I can run 5E campaigns for my friends and include my 2 children who are stuck indoors quite a bit these days with everyone "sheltering in place" due to the corona virus. I was all ready to run everything tonight. I purchased the entire D&D Essentials Bundle, had my adventure ready to roll, had done my port forwarding, got all of the characters entered into the system, and made sure that all of my players could connect remotely. What I didn't count on was that neither of my children could connect from inside my own house!

No matter what I tried, I was not able to get the computers to connect to each other. Everyone else connected with no problem. I scoured the message boards looking for possible solutions. I tried using internal and external host addresses. I dropped my firewall for 15 minutes and tried then. Nothing. I had one machine hooked up via wifi and the other via a T1 cable. Made no difference. But those same machines were able to connect to one of the other player's machines remotely when he opened a game to test the connection.

We were all at a loss. Please help. Thank you.

Zacchaeus
March 26th, 2020, 02:38
Connection on the same local network is always via internal IP address. Is it possible that the other computers are on a different part of the network, like a wireless booster or some such?

BandGuy1
March 26th, 2020, 02:47
Unfortunately, no. One of the computers is a desktop physically plugged into the same router. The other is a laptop connected wirelessly. . .but still to the same router.

damned
March 26th, 2020, 03:39
Were they connecting to the LAN address?

Moon Wizard
March 26th, 2020, 09:08
I'm assuming you are running the current release FG Classic licenses.

For that case, please make sure that you are using the internal IP address reported by GM machine as the server name to connect to on the player machines.

Regards,
JPG

BandGuy1
March 27th, 2020, 00:57
Yes. We are running the current release FG Classic licenses (2 of the licenses were purchased in the past week) and we were using the Internal IP address, too.

I plugged them all into the same router today and tried (in vain) to get things to work. I've even been working with Xfinity to get them to help. They've even remotely restarted my gateway, thinking that would take care of the problem. It didn't. But now I'm having issues getting the GM machine to connect to the server. . .getting the same connection error message when running the test, so I have to sort that out, too. Any more thoughts or suggestions? I'm quickly getting way out of my depth here.

Moon Wizard
March 27th, 2020, 01:01
Perhaps one of the network gurus who are users might have some other ideas, but here are some thoughts...

Can you run two instances of FG on the same machine, start one as a GM, and the other as a player connected to "localhost" server address?

If that doesn't connect, then something on your machine is blocking the server from being seen. Try checking out Windows Firewall or any other third party security software for blocks.

If it connects, then the server is running correctly on your machine. Then, I would start looking on your router to see if you have any settings that would isolate computers from each other when on the same network. This is not uncommon for wireless connection settings.

Regards,
JPG

BandGuy1
March 27th, 2020, 01:54
I did get my computer to reconnect. When Xfinity reset my gateway, they reset the advanced security features that blocked access to port forwarding. Still no luck with the other computers, though.

LordEntrails
March 27th, 2020, 02:27
Can you ping each computer from the others? Are they setup as any type of Windows network or domain?