PDA

View Full Version : New User DM, Exporting Characters and Importing charecters in UNITY

Chris103
March 25th, 2020, 18:03
Hi guys was looking around and can't really find the information on this so I want to apologize if this is in the wrong section or its covered elsewhere.

I'm Starting a campaign for DnD 5E and when it comes to characters I would much rather make them for them, and then export them out individually. Can I do this?

If so HOW?

thanks for any help, Love the program but the learning curve it huge LOL

LordEntrails
March 25th, 2020, 18:21
Just make the character in the campaign. Then you never need to export them.

Detailed steps for 5E character creation here; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884824/5E+Character+Sheet

More information on Importing/Exporting characters here; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/4128796/CoreRPG+Character+Sheet#Step-6---Saving-the-character-sheet-as-a-template-for-other-characters

Zacchaeus
March 25th, 2020, 19:05
In Unity things are a little different and you don't really need to export characters if you are the DM or indeed a player. If you open a campaign and click on the Import character button on the PC screen you will get a list of all the characters you have in any of your campaigns. For a player joining your game if they have created characters then they too will see any character they have created in any campaign when they click the import character button on the join screen.

In your case it would be easiest just to create the characters in the campaign you intend to play and your players can choose the character from the join screen.

Chris103
March 26th, 2020, 00:44
Thank you for both answers! It worked perfect. Its so simple, I think I was just overthinking it! Yes, thank you for the advice, I'll just create them as a few players are completely new to DND or roleplaying all together. This is what I wanted to be able to do.

Silversteel
March 27th, 2020, 04:25
So you can't export characters from FGU, or you don't need to? I'm asking because I prep on one computer and DM on another, and routinely export all characters so I can access them from my prep computer.

LordEntrails
March 27th, 2020, 04:34
You can (or should be able to), you don't need to if its just about shuffling characters between campaigns.

Silversteel
March 27th, 2020, 10:30
Thank you LordEntrails

db2000
June 30th, 2020, 22:45
Select the (PC) character creation button, choose edit in the character selection window and you will see a blue down arrow in the bottom right corner of each character. This is the export button. Select the character to export and hit the blue down arrow and choose a location to export to.