PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to create Strahd's Animated Armor as a magic item.

mitchutz
March 25th, 2020, 11:43
Is it possible to take an action (Shocking Bolt from Strahd's Animated Armor) and apply that to a new item? This is 5e btw.

Zacchaeus
March 25th, 2020, 15:07
Yes. Just copy paste from one to the other.

mitchutz
March 25th, 2020, 18:07
I tried dragging the Shocking Bolt action from the monster to the item but it wouldn't "stick."

LordEntrails
March 25th, 2020, 18:13
Dragging won't work (not compatible object types), edit (you might have to copy it before you can unlock it), select text, copy > paste

mitchutz
March 25th, 2020, 18:24
Dragging won't work (not compatible object types), edit (you might have to copy it before you can unlock it), select text, copy > paste

Okay, I did that. I made a test PC and gave him the item but the action doesn't show up on the sheet. Is it supposed to?

LordEntrails
March 25th, 2020, 18:26
No. items don't automatically create effects/actions. (unless you are using the 5E Items Effect extension, which I don't know if it works in Unity atm)

You will need to create the action yourself. Or, if the spell creates the action, give the PC the spell then edit the action it creates to alter it to reflect it coming from the item.

mitchutz
March 25th, 2020, 18:43
Appreciate all the help so far (I am a noob). I installed this 5e Advanced Effects extension because it seemed cool. Anyway, can you help me convert

Ranged Spell Attack: +4 to hit (with advantage on the attack roll if the target is wearing armor made of metal), range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (3d6) lightning damage.

into whatever it should look like to become an action? I'm reading the wiki currently but I think this example would really help.

Zacchaeus
March 25th, 2020, 18:51
What you have is fine. You will have to do the Advantage bit manually since FG can't tell what armour the target is wearing. (IN other words press the ADV button when making the attack roll).

mitchutz
March 25th, 2020, 18:57
What you have is fine. You will have to do the Advantage bit manually since FG can't tell what armour the target is wearing. (IN other words press the ADV button when making the attack roll).

But where would I type that in? In the Properties section of the armor? Or do I use the extension and paste that text under Advanced Effects?

EDIT: Ohhhh, am I supposed to just add a new "Power" to the character sheet with that text?

Zacchaeus
March 25th, 2020, 19:12
Yes, create a new power in the actions tab. More information here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884824/5E+Character+Sheet#Actions-Tab