PDA

View Full Version : Can't edit Mage Armor Spell Effect

ErrantElminster
March 23rd, 2020, 20:22
Hi, I'm trying to edit the mage armor effect from AC:3 to AC:5 by changing " The target's base AC becomes 13 + its Dexterity modifier" to "The target's base AC becomes 15 + its Dexterity modifier", but when I put it in the actions sheet it won't show any effect. Is there a way to code it ??

Thank you

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2020, 20:41
PC or NPC? I believe the effect for NPCs is hard coded off the trait name, but not sure. On a PC, just create/edit the action that applies the effect.

ErrantElminster
March 23rd, 2020, 20:43
PC. The thing is I want to modify the spell just one time, not having to modify it for every character. Is there a way to do it just once?

Bonkon
March 23rd, 2020, 20:53
Good Day ErrantElminster :)
You should be able to just change the AC: 3 to AC: 5 on the effects. It will not show as an AC change on the main sheet, but will be in effect when attack rolls are made. :)

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2020, 20:58
Have you made a copy of the spell and edited it there? Does that work? But again, I don't think that will modify the effect, because I suspect the effect is hard coded. But, I could be wrong...

ErrantElminster
March 23rd, 2020, 21:04
Have you made a copy of the spell and edited it there? Does that work? But again, I don't think that will modify the effect, because I suspect the effect is hard coded. But, I could be wrong...

Yes, I made a copy and edited, tried erasing the 13 and write it again ( to see if there was some number problem) but it wouldn't recognize it as an effect. What do you mean with hard coded?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2020, 21:22
I have a feeling that this is one of the spells that are 'hard coded' in the ruleset. In other words the language in the spell is not being parsed in order to create the effect; it's in the ruleset as AC: 3. So as noted if you want to change it you'll need to create the effect yourself (or your players will) whenever the spell is used.

ErrantElminster
March 23rd, 2020, 21:27
I have a feeling that this is one of the spells that are 'hard coded' in the ruleset. In other words the language in the spell is not being parsed in order to create the effect; it's in the ruleset as AC: 3. So as noted if you want to change it you'll need to create the effect yourself (or your players will) whenever the spell is used.

Thank you for your answer. So there is no ac modifier parsed in any spell? There is no way of phrasing it a different way?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2020, 21:45
Thank you for your answer. So there is no ac modifier parsed in any spell? There is no way of phrasing it a different way?

I don't think so. You can see what kind of phrases parse if you look at an NPC. If you add a phrase to an NPC's abilities and mouse over it anything that will parse will highlight. I just created an NPC and copied the wording of Mage Armour into a new trait on the NPC and I see no highlight.

ErrantElminster
March 23rd, 2020, 23:03
I don't think so. You can see what kind of phrases parse if you look at an NPC. If you add a phrase to an NPC's abilities and mouse over it anything that will parse will highlight. I just created an NPC and copied the wording of Mage Armour into a new trait on the NPC and I see no highlight.

Thank you for the NPC tip