PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty managing player movement in FGU

OGvarus
March 23rd, 2020, 17:07
So this is more of GM management issue as opposed to a technical issue (I think). We play tested a session in FGU for our group (6 players and 1 DM). I know that currently I am unable to lock tokens (which I usually do) in FGU. The problem I ran into was players moving too quickly through the map...or just moving on their own where ever on the map. I felt I couldn't narrate/scene set fast enough. I know the bottom line issue is that I just need to set a hard line on players and tell them you can't just move around all willy nilly...but then I felt I'm removing some of their agency? I thought I read that I could still mask the map and manually reveal it, even with LoS engaged. Would this create the situation where they can move and see all the map that I have not personally unmasked yet? If they move into an area that is currently "masked" would there LoS then automatically reveal that area? or can I set it so that they still can't see that area until I manually unmask it?

I am also looking for tips from other GMs on how to handle this situation from a game management standpoint (rather than technical FGU fiddyling).

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2020, 17:35
If you enable the mask as well as LOS that will confine players to movement only indide the area that you have revealed.

Encourage your players to use the arrow keys or numpad keys to move their characters one square at a time rather than dragging with the mouse.

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2020, 17:35
Yes, set the mask and then if they move outside of that, then they will not see what's there.

IMO, this is just the players being excited and wanting to explore the new function. If after you talk with them and it continues, go ahead and do something like, drop a dragon or demon on the map somewhere where they should not (yet) being going) and then when they reveal it because they have split the party and are all exploring, run the fight. Since they are now split and spread out, it will be a dangerous/deadly encounter. And teach them not only not to split up, but hopefully to keep to a reasonable exploration pace.

OGvarus
March 23rd, 2020, 18:11
Love the duality of the responses:
1) encourage them to move with keys and slower pace of game
2) put in a giant dragon and teach them a lesson!!

Thank you for the suggestions. I would agree that I good part of it is the excitement of new systems and features. And it sounds like the best option to curb excessive movement at this point will be to keep using masks....and a giant demon undead lich dragon muaha.

Nylanfs
March 23rd, 2020, 20:11
I can recommend this. (https://paizo.com/products/btpy8hf3?Book-of-Monster-Templates)

damned
March 23rd, 2020, 22:58
Be firm with the players.
Its not removing their agency.
They are impacting your ability to run the game in the way you are comfortable doing.
There are many scenes in pre written material that want you to narrate a whole monologue or scene and the players are itching to interact and move and say "I wouldnt have just stood there and waited!" and you have to over rule them. Its part of the nature of the games we play.
They need to have fun and you need to have fun.

Nylanfs
March 24th, 2020, 11:58
The first 50 seconds. :) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54TQv61IsU)

LordEntrails
March 24th, 2020, 16:45
The first 50 seconds. :) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h54TQv61IsU)
Paul, you always have a reference for everything! Thanks for sharing. Going to have to go watch that movie again.