PDA

View Full Version : Poser? Tokens...

Oberoten
January 11th, 2007, 12:46
I am a lucky bastard. This has been established a few times. Mostly by envious other bastards. ;) (And I use the term by right, born out of a bastard branch of an old family and all that. :) )

Either way, I have managed to get my paws on Poser 5... and realized that it is pretty much ideal for making tokens. At the least that is how it feels until I actually sit down and start trying to work with it. :)

Does anyone else use this program? Any hints and tricks? Or any link where I can start reading up on it all?

kepli
January 11th, 2007, 13:36
I have made some top-down tokens using Poser, but to get better info, talk to Steel Rat ;)
Visit RPGMapshare.com and look at his work. There are hundreds of Poser made top-down tokens there as well :D

acmer
January 11th, 2007, 18:54
It's actually very easy to use. I have Poser 6 but it works basically like Poser 5, I think.

Just open a character you want to use, put textures and other stuff on it if you wish, pose the char, set the camera how you want the char to show up (resizing the view window might help to see what it will look like), render and export image. Very easy. Final image resizing and tweaking with Photoshop, for example.

If you have ready-made chars you can do a portrait in less than 5 mins. Depends on your computer of course...

Oberoten
January 11th, 2007, 19:28
Good advice. Shall pop in the extra memory now and then have a go. :)

Casamordius
January 12th, 2007, 12:37
I use DAZ Studio - it is not as powerfull as Poser, but completly free!
Also there are a lot of free models & textures
If you would spent at least some money you can get very usefull ready-made poses, so rendering tokens is a matter of minutes.
but be carefull - it gets seductive :-)

Oberoten
January 13th, 2007, 08:41
Hmmm....

Actually DAZ looks as if it has a more powerful rendering engine than Poser has. At the least in V5 of Poser. I will have to see about downloading it and trying it out.

acmer
January 13th, 2007, 17:06
Latest version is Poser 7. If you can get your hands on it, I suggest using that. DAZ Studio is good for making tokens, I guess, but I've never used that because it is missing some features (don't know what, but I need every feature in Poser :) ).

Tailz Silver Paws
January 14th, 2007, 23:55
I am just downloading DAZ now, I'll have a little tinker with it and see what its like.

Tailz Silver Paws
January 22nd, 2007, 02:57
OK, I have been tinkering with DAZ Studio and I think its rather good for making tokens. If fact I think I'll make a whole range of tokens with it.

I did an intresting experiment tho... I put a standard character into a blank scene in DAZ Studio, then I put under the character a 5ft x 5ft box and then I rendered the top viewpoint.
https://www.wyldfurr.com/test-render.jpg
As you can see, and if you compair to some other tokens - the character is a lot smaller than the 5ft x 5ft box. Where I have had some tokens of a human size character fill the whole box.

With the tokens I have been working on, I have been trying to keep a scale measurement. But seening this I might increase it. I was planning to use a 1:1 scale. 1 Pixel for 1 Inch. But looking at the token at that size it seems to lose a lot of detail.... here is the token at a 2:1 scale, 2 pixels per inch.
https://www.wyldfurr.com/test1.png

Hum.... I dono.... still got some tinkering to do.
I might use two scales, a larger scale for detail in interious maps, and the smaller scale (2:1 or 1:1) for exterior maps. I was going to use a 1:2 scale for exterior maps....but that might be too small.

Casamordius
January 24th, 2007, 08:22
Juat a hint: I found a site where you can get some nice WWII downloads for free, e.g. german & US uniform clothing for m2 / m3.

have a look at:
https://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/allies_and_axis_weapons_and_action_combined_set_pr oduct_20029

Tailz Silver Paws
January 24th, 2007, 08:42
Juat a hint: I found a site where you can get some nice WWII downloads for free, e.g. german & US uniform clothing for m2 / m3.

have a look at:
https://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/allies_and_axis_weapons_and_action_combined_set_pr oduct_20029
Yeah? I'll take a peek.
If it saves me from modeling the uniforms, all the better! :)