PDA

View Full Version : New to Online D&D

Naptyme
March 23rd, 2020, 01:27
My friends and I are looking to get into Fantasy Grounds and I had a question that I was having issues finding a direct answer too.

If I purchase all the books on my account, it appears that I would have to be the GM. Is this correct? Is there no way for me to start a campaign as a Player and share the modules so that someone else can be the GM (assuming everyone has the FGU license)?

JohnD
March 23rd, 2020, 01:35
The host is the DM.

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2020, 01:55
Hi Naptyme, welcome to the community.

Just to expend on JohnD's brief message. The DM is always the host and only the DM can share material with the players. Players can use material that they own and the DM doesn't but only they can use that. Players can't share to the DM or other players.

Naptyme
March 23rd, 2020, 01:59
Hi Naptyme, welcome to the community.

Just to expend on JohnD's brief message. The DM is always the host and only the DM can share material with the players. Players can use material that they own and the DM doesn't but only they can use that. Players can't share to the DM or other players.

Thank You much for the information, that was what I feared the answer would be.

I wish they would make it more flexible, this pretty much forces a single player to always be DM of a group or pay double. :(

LordEntrails
March 23rd, 2020, 04:26
Some groups with rotating DMs all purchase Standard licenses. Then anyone can GM. Then the GM who happens to be running a given adventure buys that adventure. The purchase of the other books can be strategized to reduce redundancy.