PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns not saving?

itsraechan
March 22nd, 2020, 18:02
Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed -- new user here.

I've noticed every time I close and re-open Fantasy Grounds any of my playtesting campaigns disappear--even the sample 5e playtest that comes from updating. Is a bug, or am I missing something here?

Please advise

LordEntrails
March 22nd, 2020, 18:26
Do you have a license? Is FGU recognizing Make sure you have enterted your license and run and update and that the FG launch screen shows a version without the "Free" tag.

Free/Demo users can not save campaign data.

itsraechan
March 22nd, 2020, 19:07
Do you have a license? Is FGU recognizing Make sure you have enterted your license and run and update and that the FG launch screen shows a version without the "Free" tag.

Free/Demo users can not save campaign data.

I have an Ultimate license, and I entered my key and account info in the settings area. The only fix I have found that gets my campaigns back is having Fantasy Grounds update. After it updates, all the previous campaigns are back.

itsraechan
March 22nd, 2020, 19:09
I have an Ultimate license, and I entered my key and account info in the settings area. The only fix I have found that gets my campaigns back is having Fantasy Grounds update. After it updates, all the previous campaigns are back.

I did notice when I just opened and closed, that FG is opening with that "FREE" tag but once I update it goes away. Why isn't my account info saving??

pollux
March 22nd, 2020, 22:29
I did notice when I just opened and closed, that FG is opening with that "FREE" tag but once I update it goes away. Why isn't my account info saving??

Triple check that you've followed step five of the install instructions: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/819212/Installing+Fantasy+Grounds+Unity

If you're good on that front, this sounds like a job for [email protected]. What you're seeing isn't normal.

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2020, 00:44
How many time have you installed FGU? It sounds like you may have at least two installations - and the shortcut you use to to start FGU points to an executable that doesn't get updated. But when you run an update it stores it in a different place and auto launches the updated file. But when you start FG again it's using the shortcut pointing to the old install...

itsraechan
March 23rd, 2020, 22:49
How many time have you installed FGU? It sounds like you may have at least two installations - and the shortcut you use to to start FGU points to an executable that doesn't get updated. But when you run an update it stores it in a different place and auto launches the updated file. But when you start FG again it's using the shortcut pointing to the old install...

I only installed FGU once. I'm sorely tempted to try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I'm worried that'll just make things worse. I followed the wiki instructions, although I have a computer with multiple drives so I didn't save it in the typical AppData location that the installer first prompted. Could that be the issue?

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2020, 23:00
I only installed FGU once. I'm sorely tempted to try uninstalling and reinstalling, but I'm worried that'll just make things worse. I followed the wiki instructions, although I have a computer with multiple drives so I didn't save it in the typical AppData location that the installer first prompted. Could that be the issue?

Yes, if you don't have full read/write access to the folder. Check where FG is writing the data to in settings and make sure that it is doing so to where you think it is.

Trenloe
March 23rd, 2020, 23:01
... so I didn't save it in the typical AppData location that the installer first prompted. Could that be the issue?
Yep. Some users have reported issues not using the defaults.

BaneTBC
April 29th, 2020, 20:06
So, with a little experimenting what I found in this regard is that if you just launch FantasyGrounds.exe, not the updater, then it does not load the folder locations and defaults to the AppData location. If you launch the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe then it loads everything properly. Probably just needs to have the configuration settings honored either way, versus only if the updater is run first (yeah, I know it's a good idea to run the updater before running the game normally).