PDA

View Full Version : Hellfrost Modules & Adventure Edition Compatibility

qdwag
March 22nd, 2020, 02:47
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me if the Hellfrost modules are still compatible with the Adventure Edition of SW? I’m considering purchasing them.

Thanks in advance.

Dr0W
March 22nd, 2020, 04:13
They are compatible as in: You can open the modules and use them using FGU.

However, Hellfrost is now two editions apart from SWADE. I had a big headache trying to convert it to SWADE. I heard some say that it's better to keep it on SWD. So it's all up to you. If you buy it, it will work in the ruleset. But you'll have to do a few (lot) of adjustments due to it being quite old.

I heard a rumor of a SWADE edition Hellfrost in the makings, but I'm not sure. One of my favorite settings, for sure.

qdwag
March 22nd, 2020, 04:28
They are compatible as in: You can open the modules and use them using FGU.

However, Hellfrost is now two editions apart from SWADE. I had a big headache trying to convert it to SWADE. I heard some say that it's better to keep it on SWD. So it's all up to you. If you buy it, it will work in the ruleset. But you'll have to do a few (lot) of adjustments due to it being quite old.

I heard a rumor of a SWADE edition Hellfrost in the makings, but I'm not sure. One of my favorite settings, for sure.

Thanks for the heads up Dr0w. Have you played D&D? If so how does it compare with the Hellfrost setting? Two completely diff systems..

Dandersonjr32
March 22nd, 2020, 15:26
Hey qdwad - I've played both. A bunch of D&D and my buddy is currently a TT version of Hellfrost. Hellfrost is a high fantasy setting of sorts, but with a bit more desperation and a lot more Norse mythology than most D&D settings. Also, the SWADE rules are going to run VERY differently than D&D 5e. In SWADE, anyone can be dropped by anyone with the right die rolls. A lowly goblin beggar can drop a Legendary Warrior with a soup spoon if its dice Ace the right way. Conversely, the Novice Rat Catcher can drop Ozmano the Mighty Red Dragon of Hate with a sling if his dice Ace. As a GM that's going to be an adjustment, but it might become the part of the game you and your players love the most. Good luck, buddy.

qdwag
March 22nd, 2020, 15:28
Thanks for that. So, which one do you prefer :D?

Dandersonjr32
March 22nd, 2020, 16:39
I might be the wrong guy to ask. I'm Savage Worlds all the way. Once you've had a real 'Savage' time, you've had an adventure go totally bonkers with Bennies flying everywhere, PCs jumping over chasms and hanging from the sides of buildings that are falling down, and THEN you realize that no one even got into combat but everyone is still exhausted but had a great time, you can't go back.

The hardest thing to do is adjust to what SWADE does better than 5e, which is action. Don't let your players look at their character sheets to figure out their next move. Just ask them what's the coolest thing their character can do right now, and adjust the rules to do that. There's always a way to do it in Savage Worlds. Like I said, when you're used to that, you can't go back.

qdwag
March 22nd, 2020, 16:41
I might be the wrong guy to ask. I'm Savage Worlds all the way. Once you've had a real 'Savage' time, you've had an adventure go totally bonkers with Bennies flying everywhere, PCs jumping over chasms and hanging from the sides of buildings that are falling down, and THEN you realize that no one even got into combat but everyone is still exhausted but had a great time, you can't go back.

The hardest thing to do is adjust to what SWADE does better than 5e, which is action. Don't let your players look at their character sheets to figure out there next move. Just ask them what's the coolest thing their character can do right now, and adjust the rules to do that. There's always a way to do it in Savage Worlds. Like I said, when you're used to that, you can't go back.

;) lol cool.

Dr0W
March 22nd, 2020, 17:10
Thanks for the heads up Dr0w. Have you played D&D? If so how does it compare with the Hellfrost setting? Two completely diff systems..

It's really hard to compare. You're asking to compare a Setting with a Game System. If you compare Hellfrost with say, Forgotten Realms, I'd say it's a bit more low fantasy and more "viking", however it's not low fantasy. Magic is common, just not as common as in D&D. Cold is always a threat, and even though magic is not exactly rare you don't see it everywhere all the time. I'd say you could compare Hellfrost to the older editions of D&D. It's cool in it's own way.

qdwag
March 22nd, 2020, 17:18
So which plot point campaign book would you recommend I start off with?

alfarobl
March 22nd, 2020, 17:41
There are no Plot Points with Hellfrost they are more adventure modules like D&D.

I had good experience with starting Vermin Lord -> Dark Seed -> The Giants Saga (Shadow of Darkness)

This is very dark post-apoc situation with famine, cold, etc...

If you want a very good alternative start without so much cold and starvation with refugees you can go first with Pirates of the Crystalflow all are very good modules to play.

Just make sure they understand Savage Worlds is not D&D... experience is different, might be a good idea to play some other setting not Fantasy related first as a oneshot to get a handle of the new system. For example any East Texas University onesheet or Eye of the Kilquato could work as intro to Savage Worlds.

If you want to play with SWADE instead of Deluxe you should put the Hellfrost manual before core... equipment and spells work like in Hellfrost manual. Remember it is a no Power Point magic system and read the Deluxe limitations or errata for Hellfrost as some Edges do not work in Hellfrost.

Dr0W
March 22nd, 2020, 17:50
Yea. There are some good adventures out there to start, but I usually write my own adventures. I've ran some of them as one-shots, like Vermin Lord. It is really great.

kronovan
March 22nd, 2020, 18:04
I think Hellfrost is more than decent with some nice themes to the setting. It's true you can't easily compare it to most D&D settings in terms of themes and environment. In terms of quality though, I'd say only Dark Sun, Eberron and the 3rd party Midgard Campaign Setting are equals. My only problem with Hellfrost is race balance, as most race builds are 3-4 points, but the Human and Frost Dwarf are only 2 point. Not a problem if you're not bothered by that (some of my players are) and it's easy to give Humans and Frost Dwarfs a little love with an additional racial ability.