PDA

View Full Version : Shared Drives in Unity?

i3ullseye
March 21st, 2020, 01:38
With the move to 64 bit. And Unity. And better overall connections and such..... would setting your campaign directory to a shared drive be more stable/feasible now? For games where people take turns GMing in the same shared world, this could really streamline things. I know now a lot of people move the campaign folder, or perhaps share/swap a login even (which is suspect I think), but I am not sure how the updated connection system will change things.

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2020, 01:42
The problem with a shared drive is if two attempts to access the same files occur at the same time you risk corruption. If you either are; a) confident that you have reliable and timely backups or b) that you and the other GM will never try to access the same files at the same time, then you might be ok...

edit: oh, and the playtest forum is the best place to place FGU questions and issues

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2020, 02:14
The way FGU writes files is the same as Classic so there would be no difference to the current advice not to sync to a cloud based back up system. But manually doing so or scheduling a time when not playing is fine.