PDA

View Full Version : Extensions for vault rulesets

phantomwhale
March 21st, 2020, 01:38
Soooo I've been out of the FG circle for 3-4 years (babies and campaign board games equally to blame).

But in these isolationism times, I'm back! So I've just loaded up my FGU beta version (nice!) and bought the 13th Age ruleset (had been waiting for that 2-3 years ago!) and... I can't get to the code?

Now, I get why this is a good thing - always felt weird everyone getting a copy of the code back when I developed for FG, and only regular updates to that code felt like a good reason to prevent piracy etc...

But as a keen "ruleset hacker" (and kindly bug fixer) where does this put us now? Can you still get inside the guts of things to tweak them (e.g. I've seen some graphics quirks I'd like to see if I can smooth out)? And how are extensions being written with no access to see the code you are extending?

It's been a long while, I'm very rusty on how all this used to work, so excuse me if any of this is super obvious!

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2020, 02:02
Welcome back :)

damned
March 21st, 2020, 02:04
You will see there are far less extensions for vaulted rulesets than there are for unlocked ones.
Generally people wanting to extend have made requests for specific files/code and then that has been supplied or not.

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2020, 02:05
Good question. I suspect that the best course if action would be to contact the ruleset developer to see if they would be willing to extend a helping hand.

Mortar
March 21st, 2020, 04:03
13th Age doesn't have an active developer at the moment I believe, but I do have read access (I asked nicely). Nice to see you here again Phantomwhale!

phantomwhale
March 21st, 2020, 05:08
13th Age doesn't have an active developer at the moment I believe, but I do have read access (I asked nicely). Nice to see you here again Phantomwhale!

Yeah, I'm less about extensions, more about "oh, that bothers me, lets see if I can quickly patch it" - mind you, that's how I ended up taking on Savage Worlds for 5 years :)

I guess if enough things irk me, I might ask nicely for read-only access too!

Seems a shame if encrpyted source code is killing fan-made extensions, although if everything is built over CoreRPG (?) then I guess most fan-made things could be based off that code?

Mortar
March 21st, 2020, 05:16
13th Age on FG pulls from both CoreRPG and the 4e ruleset.

I asked for access so I can tinker, learn and maybe even get to the point where I can add something useful down the road. Which reminds I need to get back to Moon with the fixes for the character encoding.

damned
March 21st, 2020, 05:25
You can still see the filenames in the encrypted paks.
You know enough about the core design to be able to guess the required changes Im pretty sure... :)