PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying FG, is this possible?

alexander
January 7th, 2007, 11:24
I've come across this site, and would like to know a few things before purchasing:

1. Is it possible to see a list of servers and perhaps view games-in-progress (like Yahoo! Games where you can host, join, or view games) or is this strictly a GM-Players thing?

2. Is it possible to actually PRINT OUT the maps you make?

3. Is it possible to actually save and print out a log of the campaign (notes, chat, etc.)?

4. I know it is possible to create rulesets on this program to reflect other games. How hard is it to create a ruleset? I know the rules of the game I want, but no XML or other such programming knowledge

5. I noticed there is a thread on another part of this forum that talks about a GURPS conversion. However, the thread is about TWO years old. Has anyone heard from the guy making that conversion (subbuglio)? EDIT: The last post by subbuglio was on April '06, I mistook his "Join Date" for the post date, so the thread is still 9 months old, but the first post was close to 2 years ago.

TIA!

Stuart
January 7th, 2007, 13:45
1. Is it possible to see a list of servers and perhaps view games-in-progress (like Yahoo! Games where you can host, join, or view games) or is this strictly a GM-Players thing?

There are lists of campaigns on this site, also the Four Ugly Monster site has a section where players/DM's can advertise.

From FG no, it depends how you made the map ... most people use Dundjinni I think ... Basically, screenshots or Photoshop/Paintshop/GIMP etc will help resolve this.

3. Is it possible to actually save and print out a log of the campaign (notes, chat, etc.)?

Yes - your campaign will generate a chatlog html file that you can open and paste into Word (for example).

4. I know it is possible to create rulesets on this program to reflect other games. How hard is it to create a ruleset? I know the rules of the game I want, but no XML or other such programming knowledge

With FG 1.05f (current version) creating a ruleset is relatively easy but time consuming (depending on how much you want to do). With FGII coming out ... it gets a little harder but if you are a keen amateur still, entirely possible. I should also add that after well over a year of using FG I must stress how helpful the community here and at FUM are. You will find real coding geeks present in great numbers who will gladly offer help and advice, graphic artists who will offer help and suggestions and others who have created their own rulesets.

There are plenty of "tutorials" here or at FUM and both they and Digital Adventures have a range of products designed to support FG.

I went from zero coding to a full ruleset in two months and frankly, if I can do it anyone can (as I'm sure some of the technophiles who read these boards and know me will testify - thanks fellas).

5. I noticed there is a thread on another part of this forum that talks about a GURPS conversion. However, the thread is about TWO years old. Has anyone heard from the guy making that conversion (subbuglio)?

Yes and no - I think most people have put rulesets on hold until FGII comes out.

Good luck, welcome to FG and happy gaming !

kepli
January 7th, 2007, 13:53
Welcome aboard ... looks like Stuart has covered all bases ;)

Oberoten
January 7th, 2007, 16:10
Yuppz... ALMOST everyon.
I still trundle along and add stuff to my 1.5 version of ArsMagica...
(more the fool I ;) )

richvalle
January 7th, 2007, 16:30
I've come across this site, and would like to know a few things before purchasing:

Not really. There is no central server that you log into. You just log into the DM's pc.

As Stuart said there are listings of available games out there though.

For the most part you make the maps outside of FG and then use them in FG. So any printing would be done from the software you use to make the map.

rv

alexander
January 7th, 2007, 23:27
Thanks for the replies guys.

So I see there is no "chat area" where people can connect to, search for players, and game. Arranging a game session is done OUTSIDE FG, correct?

What programs are used to make maps? I know of Dundjinni, but what about those DnD-like maps that shows a whole cavern/area and it's rooms and such (like the maps that come with the DnD pre-made adventures)?

richvalle
January 8th, 2007, 00:35
Thanks for the replies guys.

So I see there is no "chat area" where people can connect to, search for players, and game. Arranging a game session is done OUTSIDE FG, correct?

Correct. I actually like it better this way. We are not depenent on any outside server in order to play. If (God forbid) Smiteworks should go under tomorrow we could still use the software for years to come.

rv

Griogre
January 8th, 2007, 01:03
What programs are used to make maps? I know of Dundjinni, but what about those DnD-like maps that shows a whole cavern/area and it's rooms and such (like the maps that come with the DnD pre-made adventures)?
You can use any art program to make maps. Anything that can save a pgn or gifs. I think FG also will use jpegs and maybe bmps. You can also use maps like the ones you can download at WoTC's site.

Yenooc
January 8th, 2007, 01:36

I create maps in Dundjinni, scan maps that come with published adventures (for personal use only, of course :D ), and draw my own maps on graph paper. I save each of these types as .png files, and then load them into my FG adventure. The grid already on the map can be used to scale the tokens, etc., and then you can zoom in and out as desired. You can divide large maps into sections, as stated above.

richvalle
January 8th, 2007, 01:44
FG does use jpgs. I use them a lot.

rv

alexander
January 8th, 2007, 04:17
Anyone recommend any map-making program that shows a dungeon like in published adventures of WotC? Not battle maps where minis slug it out, but area maps, like of the whole town or dungeon level.

kepli
January 8th, 2007, 16:46
Yep, Dundjinni ... just follow the link in my signature and have a look around ;)

Yenooc
January 8th, 2007, 20:09
I second the motion on Dundjinni! :D

It's simple to use, and the items available from user downloads is tremendous.

Sigurd
January 8th, 2007, 21:02
The style of FG is very different from Yahoo! Games - more private.

Right now, a game is amazingly like a private gaming session you'd have at your house, at a gaming table. The DM invites the players. The players get an address (an internet address) everyone shows up at the same time and games.

There is no impersonal list of ongoing game servers. You don't surf through servers unanounced.

Each game is very much under the control of the DM. Sometimes finding a game across the internet is a bit of a challenge but once you settle down inside of a group it's as regular as the group dynamics - without any influence or fees to the program creators.

There is a little hand holding, so that instead of remembering an IP number you can type a server selected allias. You can use 4 four letter words eg "able ogre dead keep" instead of 123.214.123.153. The program remembers the last setting so if you dont have more than one group you simlply press the icon at the appropriate time and go. If the DM's machine is not live on the internet the clients wont start.

Its not like Never Winter Nights with its central list of servers and automated games. Politeness and working with a group are vital in this game because you are relying on their efforts, esp the DM.

I like it very much for all the reasons above. I hope you will too.

Sigurd.

ShaneB
January 9th, 2007, 06:52
We restrict our games even furthur by using a private network which is password protected on Hamachi.

alexander
January 9th, 2007, 10:10
Hmmm... Hamachi. Haven't heard that word in a while.

Thanks for speaking up for this program, it's looking better and better. Still bummed that it can't do maps and have to get yet ANOTHER program for that, but anyway...

Is there any place to post announcements for DM/Players wanted?

richvalle
January 9th, 2007, 13:44
There are some free map programs. You can probably make maps with Gimp though I've not tried.

I remember seeing some posts about free map making programs in the past.

You can use the Guild section here to look for games/players.

rv

Griogre
January 9th, 2007, 18:46
Thanks for speaking up for this program, it's looking better and better. Still bummed that it can't do maps and have to get yet ANOTHER program for that, but anyway...

Fantasy Grounds is a virtual tabletop software. This means it potentially has all the things that sit on you table when you are playing.

Their are plently of map making tools around and tons of free maps - WoTC's site has hundreds alone. You can also scan in maps if you have hand drawn ones. I do this alot for small maps when I am in a hurry. I can sketch, scan and put a map in FG in a few minutes.

NimbyDagda
January 10th, 2007, 11:35
Because I come from a MUD background I use zMapper for mapping, which is really good once you get used to it. You can get it from https://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18512 there is free trial if you want to try it out.