PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Danimal66
March 20th, 2020, 16:25
After 3 plus years of using FG I realize I'm still making basic mistakes. Being self quarantined has given me some time to dig into the program and try and learn things so I have a few questions which some I'm sure will be embarrassing considering how long I've used the program.

1. Is it possible to create categories on the abilities tab of a character sheet? For example I would like to create tabs for class and race to better distinguish the items that get put in here during character creation and leveling.

2. This is silly but do I need both the PHB and Xanther's guide loaded? It seems Xanther's has everything and my players keep making mistakes during leveling by opening one book over the other.

3. Also if I'm only loading certain books for my players but they own the content is there a way to prevent them from using it other then telling them not too. Example in the new campaign we just started I didn't want stuff from the Sword Coast Guide of the TOA players guide but one of my players was able to use it because he owned it.

4. I suck at effects, I'm trying to learn them and thank god for the complete effects packaged on here but are there any prebuilt effects for racial benefits?

5. See #4 but for magic items or anything else to make DMing easier. I spend so much time trying to get relatively simple things to work.

6. I've showed my players numerous times how to change the damage on a weapon for versatile weapons but they continue to "forget" Is the only method besides this for versatile weapons to have a second weapon in the actions tab set for that?

7. One of my players is playing a hex blade, and has pact weapon. I'll be blunt this player is a bit if a pain, and the thought of having to come up with a weapon of his choosing every time he uses this and make it magical is giving me shivers. Any ideas?

I may have more but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks
Danimal

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2020, 17:03
1) Not without an extension but you can edit any of the entries to just add (class) or (Race) or whatever into the name.
2) Xanathar only has Archetypes for the classes (using the SRD for the class description). It depends on whether your players need to have access to either of the books. If they want to use or have the choice of all of the archetypes available then they'll need to have both open. You don't need to have either open if the players are making their own characters - all you need is to share the books with your players.
3) Unless you click the green share icon players cannot access any books even if they own them. Only shared books (or ones where you give permission - for example they own the book and you don't) that have a green tick will be visible players side. So don't share any books you don't want them to access. Of course if you allow them to create characters on their own machines and import them into your campaign instead of allowing only characters built in your campaign whilst connected to you they can use whatever resources they have.
4) If you drag the racial benefit into the actions tab some of them will build the effects automatically - but not all. Very few racial traits require effects There's a few examples here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation#Specific-PC-Ability/Trait-Examples
5) No magic items have built in effects. Equipping weapons and armour will automatically give the correct attack, damage and AC bonuses but other effects and those for other magic items you need to build yourself/ See here for a bunch of videos https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E
6) Yes, create a new weapon for Versatile weapons and have the player equip it as normal. Much easier than swapping around the damage. Make sure you name the weapons differently (e.g. Longsword (two handed))
7) Create an effect DMGTYPE: magic, set the duration for 1 round and expiry on next action. The player will need to apply the effect every time they want to do damage with the weapon. Or simply add , magic to the weapon damage line (i.e 1d6 piercing, magic). More information on creating weapons here https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/786659/5E+Item+Sheet+and+Treasure+Parcels

Danimal66
March 20th, 2020, 17:12
Thanks, I saw someone once that someone suggested some effects packages on the DM's Guild but I can't find that post again.

notrealdan
March 20th, 2020, 17:20
Check out rob2e’s stuff on the dmsguild. Here’s one of his bundle deals:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280110/Everything-Rob-Twohy-Years-1-2--3-BUNDLE

Danimal66
March 20th, 2020, 17:24
Thanks for the link but that's a little more then I want to spend. I'll take a look at each package

notrealdan
March 20th, 2020, 17:29
Thanks for the link but that's a little more then I want to spend. I'll take a look at each package

Yeah, I just wanted to give you a starting point to find his stuff.

Danimal66
March 20th, 2020, 17:49
Yeah I appreciate it, I'm trying to figure out the best option to buy. I don't want any of the modules but all the other stuff. Not sure the most cost effective way of doing this.

Zacchaeus
March 20th, 2020, 18:41
Yeah I appreciate it, I'm trying to figure out the best option to buy. I don't want any of the modules but all the other stuff. Not sure the most cost effective way of doing this.

The biggest thing that require effects are spells and most of them have effects built in. There are very few racial abilities that require effects. Character abilities can often be dragged and dropped into the actions tab and may of them will also create effects. Many character abilities don't need effects but do need some adjustment elsewhere in the character sheet.

Watch the videos I linked above and read the wiki on effects before you do anything more. You'll surprise yourself in realising how easy it is to create effects.

Danimal66
March 21st, 2020, 00:42
Another question

Trying to clean up the messy character sheets my players have and I'm puzzled by something.

So one player has a cleric, so what we do is copy all the cleric spells to the action tab and then chose the ones he has prepared and then switch to combat mode, and actions for display and we only see the spells he has prepared.

Did the exact same thing with a paladin player and no matter which mode I am in it shows all the spells even though we are doing the same exact thing.

Perplexing.

Zacchaeus
March 21st, 2020, 01:00
Go into the meta data for any spell level (click the magnifying glass at the end of the speak group header) and put a number in the spells available box (I can’t recall it’s exact name but it’s the box at the bottom).

Danimal66
March 21st, 2020, 01:18
Go into the meta data for any spell level (click the magnifying glass at the end of the speak group header) and put a number in the spells available box (I can’t recall it’s exact name but it’s the box at the bottom).

Got it thanks