PDA

View Full Version : Possible addition to the die roller?

i3ullseye
March 20th, 2020, 12:25
I know there have been questions in the past about changing results in the die roller. Making a 1 into a 2 and such. Seems like there is no direct way to do that specifically. But would it be possible to set a minimum code? We have e for exploding, l for lowest, k for keeping, ! for exponential? Etc.. etc.... could the die string add an option to set a minimum value each die was allowed to be, and for each die rolled lower it would be treated as that minimum number?

Phystus
March 20th, 2020, 17:54
So a D6 would return 2-6, right?

What system is this for, or what's the use case?

~P

Andraax
March 20th, 2020, 18:07
Wouldn't that be (for the d6 example) be 1d5+1?

LordEntrails
March 21st, 2020, 00:33
There is no direct way to do that. The die themselves are handled with a physics engine and not a random number function. Their are ways to intercept the output of the die roll between the die roll and the results being placed into chat, but the die is going to visually show a 1 was rolled while a 2 shows in chat.

I think if you tell us what you are trying to achieve, we might be able to better help.

damned
March 21st, 2020, 00:57
The OP is asking if its a possibility for this to be added to the FGU advanced dice rolling mechanics.

i3ullseye
March 21st, 2020, 01:33
It all goes back again to things like Elemental Adept. That says any 1 you roll for damage is instead a 2. So the number would still be 1d6 is 1-6.... but the 1 would return a 2 instead.

Kelrugem
March 21st, 2020, 06:29
Wouldn't that be (for the d6 example) be 1d5+1?

In sense of the possible values this would work, but the probability for the numbers would be different; on one hand for 1d5+1 the probability for each value 2,...,6 for one roll would be 1/5, so 20%, on the other hand the probability for 3, ..., 6 in the "1d6 min 2" would be still 1/6 while the probability of the value 2 would be 1/3 :) Depends then whether it is important for one to keep these probabilities