PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start, need some info

Tawil at Umr
March 20th, 2020, 06:26
I grabbed a copy of Fantasy Grounds, and copies for a few friends, years ago, never got around to using them.
Finally trying to get that Pathfinder (1st edition) game going, the Hell's Rebels adventure path, and trying to figure out what it is I would need. I'd rather not go on a book-buying spree since I already bought all the physical books and most of the digital ones, so buying anything a third time if unnecessary is not appealing.

I assume I'd need the Pathfinder core ruleset (though I could've sworn it said it included that when I bought it on Steam). And the books for the Adventure Path itself. Perhaps expansion books if any of the characters are using options from those books? Will I need the various Bestiaries, or should the monsters in the adventure all be included in the adventure books? Will my players all also need the core ruleset and any expansion books their characters are using?

Anything else notable I should know?

LordEntrails
March 20th, 2020, 06:32
You don't need anything else. But, you might want more :)

The rulesets that are included in FG, include the character sheets and the mechanics. i.e. FG knows what an attack is, what armor class is and how they interact etc. But, it does not include the actual text of the various rule books (otherwise the cost for all the licensed rulesets would be in the many hundred, at least).

Check out the 3.5/PF sub-forum. In there you will find lots of community content such as some of the bestiaries and equipment things and such. These have been converted and released under the Paizo community license. I also think their is a post or two over there explainign the dif between the community modules and the ones you can buy through the store.

Happy Gaming!

vegaserik
March 20th, 2020, 08:41
If you bought pdf's from Paizo, I believe you can sync this account with that and it'll discount the cost of the pdf off the module if it's in your cart. I've done it with Starfinder, it saves some money.

AranMull
March 21st, 2020, 06:55
Completely agree with both of the above posts. I actually did go in and spend the money to purchase all of the Pathfinder core content available (after linking my Paizo account first thank God!! Still a lot of money but much, much less expensive than it otherwise would have been).

That said, when I loaded FGC (and now FGU) and went to actually load "Modules" (the basics of the various available rules sets) the option to just use the PFSRD info was also there. I ran through it quickly and I see no reason one couldn't play a game just with the PFSRD info. In your instance you may want to also buy the Hell's Rebels AP but that would be much, much less expensive. Even more so once you have your paizo account linked! :)

Aran

[Edit - 'cause I cannot type without misspelling the. :)]