PDA

View Full Version : Chases in SWADE

Waltoft
March 20th, 2020, 04:39
How do you run chases in SWADE? I can't seem to find any info on how to do that in SWADE on FG.

kronovan
March 20th, 2020, 05:25
TBH I'm new to the SWADE module and haven't come across a built in tool for chases. Something that could possibly work though, would be to draw a hand of cards from the card deck as per the SWADE chase rules. Then access Tokens > Ruleset > Cards and drag the matching card tokens for those dealt cards onto a blank map in the layout you want. You could then resize the cards by hovering over them and scrolling mouse wheel forward. Where it would get tricky is placing character tokens onto them, but you could certainly have players place their PC tokens at the side of a card and could to the same for your NPC tokens.

Waltoft
March 20th, 2020, 06:51
Yeah i figured it was something like that. Im gonna make a battlemap with 9 colums and put the drawn card by the foot of the colums. The tokens will be place above the cards,

kronovan
March 20th, 2020, 18:07
Im gonna make a battlemap with 9 colums and put the drawn card by the foot of the colums. The tokens will be place above the cards,

Nice solution. ;) I'm going to create something similar.

mac40k
March 20th, 2020, 18:16
Chases are supported. I refer you to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRk0HAxoS8 for Doswelk's excellent tutorial.

kronovan
March 20th, 2020, 18:34
Nice - I had no idea you could drag a card onto a map. Am I missing something about the necessity of the Chase button on the map frame though? I always clearly state what the range increment is between cards at the start of a chase, so that wouldn't really be necessary. That said, my players are always connected via voice comms, so I guess if you have some that aren't that could be helpful. Or am I just missing something there about the importance of it's functionality?

Doswelk
March 20th, 2020, 18:50
Nice - I had no idea you could drag a card onto a map. Am I missing something about the necessity of the Chase button on the map frame though? I always clearly state what the range increment is between cards at the start of a chase, so that wouldn't really be necessary. That said, my players are always connected via voice comms, so I guess if you have some that aren't that could be helpful. Or am I just missing something there about the importance of it's functionality?
The chase button changes how ranges are calculated so it counts distance between the card not the points between the two tokens.

kronovan
March 20th, 2020, 19:00
The chase button changes how ranges are calculated so it counts distance between the card not the points between the two tokens.

Yes I understood that, but I now just realized something I previously overlooked. Being able to change how the distance is calc'd between cards would keep weapon and power ranges accurate.

Dandersonjr32
March 20th, 2020, 19:45
This is a great video. I'm very much enjoying it. I'm new to FG because of some current events, and I'm just trying to figure out the basics. This really helps.

Doswelk
March 20th, 2020, 20:20
This is a great video. I'm very much enjoying it. I'm new to FG because of some current events, and I'm just trying to figure out the basics. This really helps.
I am running a one-shot tomorrow, if you want to join us...

2pm GMT, send me a PM if you can make it or sign-up here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=3288

Irregular
October 19th, 2020, 19:25
Chases are supported. I refer you to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZRk0HAxoS8 for Doswelk's excellent tutorial.

I quite enjoyed that movie and I managed to do part of a chase.

I added a map, I set a grid, I activated the chase mode, I placed cards at the top of the map/grid.
I added NPCs to some vehicles as drivers and I added one of the PCs as a driver to another vehicle, placed all of these in an encounter and then added the encounter to the combat tracker.

Then, I tried two things:
1. dragged the vehicles from the combat tracker onto the map
2. dragged the vehicles from the encounter container onto the map

In both cases I could use the chase portion of the chase. Basically, rolling maneuver, turn for turn.
But nothing else I was expecting happened. I could not have passengers do anything like fire at another vehicle.

I tried to drop the NPCs additionally on the vehicle in the combat tracker and then from there to use their shooting skills - but it did not use the range at all and I also could only do that from within the combat tracker.
Am I missing something or is the chase part all there is?
Also, I do not seem to get the complications come up when a token is on a club card - again, did I miss anything? : )

mac40k
October 19th, 2020, 20:18
For one thing, a complication only occurs if your Initiative card is a club. The suit of the card on the chase track just determines the nature of the complication, so just having a token on a club card on the chase track wouldn't trigger a complication.

Irregular
October 19th, 2020, 21:35
For one thing, a complication only occurs if your Initiative card is a club. The suit of the card on the chase track just determines the nature of the complication, so just having a token on a club card on the chase track wouldn't trigger a complication.

Ow, damn it, you're right!

Still, just tried it again. Action card King of clubs, nothing happening in regards to complications. Well, the harder thing for me is to do the entire shooting, range skill modifications, etc. Those are also not coming automatically. But not sure if FGU Swade is that clever or I just haven't found it.40342

amerigoV
October 20th, 2020, 13:28
Ow, damn it, you're right!

Still, just tried it again. Action card King of clubs, nothing happening in regards to complications. Well, the harder thing for me is to do the entire shooting, range skill modifications, etc. Those are also not coming automatically. But not sure if FGU Swade is that clever or I just haven't found it.40342

Its pretty clever, but its not working right now. It has worked on FGU in the past, so some gremlin has made a nest there.

dbm
October 21st, 2020, 10:21
Its pretty clever, but its not working right now. It has worked on FGU in the past, so some gremlin has made a nest there.

I was coming here to check if I was doing something wrong or there is a bug; certainly it didn’t work for me (using FCU) in last night’s game. The calculation of range was also not working as expected.

YggBjorn
October 21st, 2020, 20:53
Range in a Chase has a few quirks. If you are doing a ranged attack it is best to make sure that there is space around the tokens. If two tokens are in adjacent squares, even if they are on separate chase cards, Fantasy Grounds will see it as a melee attack.

Doswelk
October 22nd, 2020, 10:10
Non-Linear chases (e.g. dogfights) do not seem to work in FGU.

The Ability to create the zone around a card is missing.

Random Interrupt
October 24th, 2020, 01:41
I posted about this a few months back. It's currently broken in FGU as far as I can tell.