PDA

View Full Version : System and scenario recommendations for a veteran GM running a game for newbies?

Magnimost
March 20th, 2020, 04:03
I've run quite a few different systems in the past two decades. Given everyone's on lockdown, I'm considering seeing if my boardgamer friends would like to try out a proper game.

Any recommendation on an FG system and scenario for a 1-3 sessions? No pure dungeon crawler or murder hoboing (get enough of the latter with my regular group), balanced with combat and RP. Fairly light on rules as I can't be arsed to learn intricacies of a new complex system (I run CoC mostly), though doesn't have to be Dungeon World. Fantasy setting is probably the most accessible.

Perhaps Core or WOIN? I believe Core is close to CoC, and WOIN I'm familiar with from Judge Dredd.

LordEntrails
March 20th, 2020, 06:18
5E has so much automation as well as public acceptance that I would strongly consider it. 5E, especially if you stick to the Basic Rules, really is pretty simple.

LMOP is pretty hard not to be a good experience. I've not read it yet, but am thinking Dragon of IceSpire is pretty appealing for newbies too. But, my favorite little one shot is Impenetrable Fortress of Dib. It's just too cute!

Check this out, I never got around to the follow on adventures, but this might be a good intro. It does start and end with big fights, but in between has a lot of roleplaying. If you like it, PM me your email address and I'll send you a free copy; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/180749/Balance-Disturbed-BDC1?affiliate_id=432258

Magnimost
March 20th, 2020, 13:28
5E has so much automation as well as public acceptance that I would strongly consider it. 5E, especially if you stick to the Basic Rules, really is pretty simple.

LMOP is pretty hard not to be a good experience. I've not read it yet, but am thinking Dragon of IceSpire is pretty appealing for newbies too. But, my favorite little one shot is Impenetrable Fortress of Dib. It's just too cute!

Check this out, I never got around to the follow on adventures, but this might be a good intro. It does start and end with big fights, but in between has a lot of roleplaying. If you like it, PM me your email address and I'll send you a free copy; https://www.dmsguild.com/product/180749/Balance-Disturbed-BDC1?affiliate_id=432258

I ran D&D (the red box) back in the 90s, and haven't run D&D since then, but I'm sure it's pretty easy to pick up again.

Thanks, will check these out! I'd rather buy it if I'm going to run it, but thanks for the offer.