PDA

View Full Version : Fields on the NPC Form?

kronovan
March 19th, 2020, 22:30
I've been creating a few monsters using the NPC form and I'm wondering what info should be entered in the "Type", "Requirements" and "Effects" fields for the Special Abilities?
I'm assuming the 4th untitled field in the center of that form is for general, descriptive text?

If anyone could shed some light on the type of values that should be entered in those fields, I'd really appreciate it.

Doswelk
March 20th, 2020, 18:56
I've been creating a few monsters using the NPC form and I'm wondering what info should be entered in the "Type", "Requirements" and "Effects" fields for the Special Abilities?
I'm assuming the 4th untitled field in the center of that form is for general, descriptive text?

If anyone could shed some light on the type of values that should be entered in those fields, I'd really appreciate it.
The same form is used for hindrances/edges and special abilities so they do not all apply to each type :)

Type tells FG/us it's and edge/hindrance/ability
Requirements - usually only for edges, but the requirements to take the edge, FG does not validate these, the players/gm have to
Effects - Not sure what we use those for, I'll have to check :)

kronovan
March 20th, 2020, 19:28
The same form is used for hindrances/edges and special abilities so they do not all apply to each type :)

Type tells FG/us it's and edge/hindrance/ability
Requirements - usually only for edges, but the requirements to take the edge, FG does not validate these, the players/gm have to
Effects - Not sure what we use those for, I'll have to check :)

Yep, Effects I've since figured out. So it reads like from what your wrote, that those fields are there if you want to customize the NPC outside of dragging & dropping Monstrous Abilities to their sheet - that correct?

[Edit] It's confusing for me, because for a NPC (a monster) I've created a Thick Hide special ability. I've tried effects of [Toughness +2] and [Armor +2] but neither of them bonuses the "Toughness" derived stat. I suspect it isn't working because I don't have a correct Type entered. I've experimented with different types such as "Ability", "Special Ability", "Monstrous Ability", "Derived Stat", but none of those has worked - no surprise because I'm mostly flailing in the dark.

Doswelk
March 20th, 2020, 20:25
Yep, Effects I've since figured out. So it reads like from what your wrote, that those fields are there if you want to customize the NPC outside of dragging & dropping Monstrous Abilities to their sheet - that correct?

[Edit] It's confusing for me, because for a NPC (a monster) I've created a Thick Hide special ability. I've tried effects of [Toughness +2] and [Armor +2] but neither of them bonuses the "Toughness" derived stat. I suspect it isn't working because I don't have a correct Type entered. I've experimented with different types such as "Ability", "Special Ability", "Monstrous Ability", "Derived Stat", but none of those has worked - no surprise because I'm mostly flailing in the dark.
[Toughness +2] and [Armor+2] are correct they do not change the displayed stat on the PC sheet/npc sheet, but DO affect the die rolls.

If you add [Toughness +2] to someone then roll damage and apply it to them you will see what I mean...

Doswelk
March 20th, 2020, 20:36
Assuming this works, it is a GIF showing what I mean....

kronovan
March 20th, 2020, 21:44
Assuming this works, it is a GIF showing what I mean....

Yes the GIF works - many thanks for that animated illustration Doswelk. So in my particular case, my monster with their Thick Hide [Toughness +2] special ability has a total Toughness of 12 after the special ability is applied. So if I'm reading you correctly here, I should have their Toughness listed as 10 because that Thick Hide special ability is going to be factored in whenever a Player Character rolls damage against them (i.e. Toughness 10+2); that correct?