PDA

View Full Version : Hi from a new user.

Sylvan
January 6th, 2007, 16:06
Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I have a few issues in my personal life to sort out. (Wife toddler and baby), but when I have murdered/locked in dungeon/left them all I hope to be able to join in a game or two.

Although after the registration process, I may need to assess whether I have the brain power to play. Did anyone else have a problem with the string you enter to validate registration? The one with the random letters. I just spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't accept what I was entering. Until I re-read the instructions and realised it was "only the letter in black ink". Dont I just feel so stupid.

Anyhoo... based in Uk so slotting into time frames may be hard work. Once I drugged the baby to sleep about 9pm GMT I may find an evening free now and again. We'll see.

kepli
January 6th, 2007, 16:09
Welcome Sylvan :)

Yeah, free time becomes a rare thing with a baby around ;)

Don't worry, there are enough Europeans around to be able to play at a "normal" time.

Happy playing :D

Sir Bayard
January 6th, 2007, 17:00
Hey, I know the feeling about having a baby and trying to find time. Thankfully, ym wife games with me so that eliminates one of those obstacles. Good luck to you!

Sylvan
January 6th, 2007, 18:40
Thanks for the vote of support. Knowing there are other parents out there who find the time is good.

Toddler is being put down... (to sleep), at the mo by my wife and I am rocking baby with my foot. She's almost gone off for a nap. My only problem is typing with her here disturbs her. Grrrr. Found https://www.clitheroelancs.co.uk/silent.htm which offer silent keyboards and mice. As I spend alot of time on the PC, (generally with her balancing in one arm, or being rocked by my foot), I may just have to invest.

Griogre
January 6th, 2007, 19:05
Welcome to the boards. :D If you have any questions just ask. This is also one of the few boards I've seen where the search function actually works well.

Yenooc
January 6th, 2007, 19:21
I don't have the baby "problem" that you have, since mine are all gone from the nest, but I do feel a special tie with those who share my "brainpower-challenged" status" :square:

If you doubt me, just check the threads for my many pleas for help on the most basic of tasks. :D

The good thing about this group, though, is that they seem to have an endless supply of patience in dealing with us special needs members. :)

Welcome

Sylvan
January 6th, 2007, 20:13
I don't have the baby "problem" that you have, since mine are all gone from the nest...

Oooh....flown the coup. I am so jealous! Ok so thats 3 years for the baby until preschool. 3 more until primary school. 7 further years until college, then 5 years until uni...so thats 18 years of this.... crud.

kepli
January 6th, 2007, 21:37
If you doubt me, just check the threads for my many pleas for help on the most basic of tasks. :D
Ah, that was you ... :p

richvalle
January 6th, 2007, 21:56
Another parent here using FG to get in some gaming time.

Welcome!

rv

Jingo
January 10th, 2007, 17:08
Hey hey! Welcome. It's nice to know there are other parent types out there. I'm thinking we should start a support group for gamers with families... ;)

But it's not all bad... You don't have quite the freedom, but you really just got to give it some time. You see, children grow up, and if you're really patient and careful in raising them, you might even be able to mold them into a future player. :o Then it's just a matter of marrying quality family time with your favorite hobby for family bliss...

In my situation I have two children who are both in elementry school now. But they've grown up surrounded by RPGing as my friends used to come over and game in face to face sessions since they were infants until probably 2.5 years ago.

My son (the eldest) will be 9 in May. He has always loved Star Wars and now will sometimes ask "Daddy, can we do Star Wars Role-Playing?". Or sometimes we'll do multiplayer NWN.

My daughter is no stranger to RPGing either. She's 6 now. But when she grows up and starts dating at least she won't shun the RPG crowd so often typified as "uber nerds". She too is well grounded in gaming. She has joined us in an RPG session now and then with me and her brother (she sometimes plays a Wookie in SW RPG and the first time we played she got a strange sense of glee when wielding a vibro-axe...).

I haven't yet hooked either of them up with FG yet since we still have some 10 to 15 years until I boot them out of the house. By then maybe FG2 will be done. :)

Now if I could just get my wife playing...

Sir Bayard
January 10th, 2007, 17:19
Getting the wife to play is the key. It took me awhile, but now she's hooked. Which makes it that much easier to raise the current child and any future ones in an RPG environment.

kepli
January 10th, 2007, 17:31
My wife started playing with us almost right after I met her (not my wife at that time of course :p ). That was about 15 years ago ... yeah, I am a lucky guy ;)

MaineCoon
January 10th, 2007, 19:52
Getting my wife off of World of Warcraft and EVE Online (sometimes she plays both at the same time!) can be a struggle.

She was a bit disappointed that FG crashes when the DM rolls dice, if she is playing WoW at the same time. I'm not so disappointed in that :-)

Sylvan
January 11th, 2007, 14:46
I've only been with my wife for six years, and unfortunately have failed miserably in getting her into gaming properly.

My biggest problem is especially now, with the kids, we dont get much free time. Maybe an hour at night. This will change shortly when I get to put the baby into training, maybe in about a months time. Then I get my evenings back.

I introduced my wife to bubble, as a simple addictive yet none challenging game control wise when I first met her. She played that constantly for quite a while. Then came the Sims. This proved to be a great success. I actually had whole days where she wouldnt talk to me. Life was good then.

However my downfall came with the first child. And juggling real life with the child. And then just to kick me in the nuts good and proper, just as he was old enough to give us back the time we needed, the reality TV boom hit.

I did have quite a nice 2 years when my son would be in bed, and the missus on the TV in the evenings, and I was alone with my PC for a couple of hours when all of a sudden, the second child arrives. And I am back to square one.

I do have a plan though. By the time the baby gives me back my evenings, the sims in all its child like cuteness on the Wii should be out. And the Wii has proved a big attraction to my wife. When I saw her and my mother both playing tennis the day I bought it, I thought I had been sucked into an alternate universe.....