PDA

View Full Version : Weather effects crash because of using two monitors

Gezzer
March 19th, 2020, 05:16
I'm experiencing a total program lock up when using a FX weather effect overlay on my custom map. When it happens I see the spinning icon mouse cursor and nothing in the program field is clickable other than the windows controls (close, maximize, etc.) . The only way to recover is to completely close the program and reopen it. I've tested this right after restarting the program and with a system shut down in between and it happens every time without fail. I have isolated the problem occuring due to having two monitors in use while using the overlay. This creates a problem for me since I often use two monitors while running campaigns.

Relevant System specs:
Windows 7 fully updated. FGU fully updated. GTX 980, driver 440.97. Monitor 1 1440p using DP, Monitor 2 1080p using HDMI.

Also, is there a way to set/turn down the gamma/bloom on the weather overlays? I have some custom maps in a winter setting with a lot of white on them and the snow, blizzard, and myst settings can create a bloom effect that is really distracting when combined with the white snow on my maps. So much so that I'd rather not use the effects in their current form, which is kind of a shame since they can really add a immersive element to the map.

LordEntrails
March 19th, 2020, 05:51
This one is something one of the devs is probably going ot have to look at. Can you share the image or atleast give us the specs on the image? pixels, size, type, etc.

Zacchaeus
March 19th, 2020, 11:28
Does your graphics card have a DX 10 shader model 4 capabilities? I can't reproduce the problem but it sounds like it may be a graphics card problem. But that's a guess.

pindercarl
March 19th, 2020, 12:30
Does your graphics card have a DX 10 shader model 4 capabilities? I can't reproduce the problem but it sounds like it may be a graphics card problem. But that's a guess.

The graphics card isn't a problem. I'm running GTX 980. However, I'm unable to reproduce. Even after setting my monitors to matching resolutions. The only outlier is the OS and I'm not able to test using Windows 7. Can you send a copy of your campaign with the image?

Gezzer
March 19th, 2020, 17:36
This one is something one of the devs is probably going ot have to look at. Can you share the image or atleast give us the specs on the image? pixels, size, type, etc.

It's a 1920x1080 png file, pixels per inch set at 100.

Gezzer
March 19th, 2020, 17:39
The graphics card isn't a problem. I'm running GTX 980. However, I'm unable to reproduce. Even after setting my monitors to matching resolutions. The only outlier is the OS and I'm not able to test using Windows 7. Can you send a copy of your campaign with the image?

It's not really a campaign at this point, just a test. But I do have quite a lot of self created images and modules loaded if that would make a difference.

Moon Wizard
March 19th, 2020, 21:46
Gezzer,

Can you please zip up and provide the whole campaign directory please? That's what Carl is looking for. He's trying to replicate your scenario as closely as possible.

Thanks,
JPG

Gezzer
March 19th, 2020, 23:45
Gezzer,

Can you please zip up and provide the whole campaign directory please? That's what Carl is looking for. He's trying to replicate your scenario as closely as possible.

Thanks,
JPG

Sure, but it's almost a gig with the images and modules, sure you want the whole thing? Zipping it won't reduce the file size that much. Are there specific files that would be better?

Edited to add, I'm going to zip up everything but the image folder and send you that. Is there a way to embed the file in the post or do you have an address for me to send it to?

Moon Wizard
March 19th, 2020, 23:51
It might be the sheer volume of images you have. Can you try making a brand new campaign, and only add a couple of the maps you know are affected?

Having a sample campaign to test helps tremendously to recreate scenarios from other users' machines.

Thanks,
JPG

Gezzer
March 19th, 2020, 23:55
It might be the sheer volume of images you have. Can you try making a brand new campaign, and only add a couple of the maps you know are affected?

Having a sample campaign to test helps tremendously to recreate scenarios from other users' machines.

Thanks,
JPG

Will do. On my lunch so it'll have to wait till after work.

Gezzer
March 20th, 2020, 05:11

Thanks,
JPG

Update: It's related to the size of the images folder. I tried with just one map in the images folder, no problems. I tried the old campaign where I had the lock up and the map was still in the maps panel, no problem when trying the fx overlay. Deleted the map from the maps panel and went to the assets panel. Open the campaign folder which was really slow to open. Moved the same map from that folder to the maps panel. Played around with it for a while trying different fx and fx combos. Went to change one of the fx overlays to none and it locked up again.

Maybe memory related? I have 16GB of system RAM and 4GB of GPU RAM if that helps. As well everything is loading from an SSD.

This is the error box I received on restarting the program:

[3/19/2020 8:54:30 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/19/2020 8:54:35 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Database restore point found. Saved as new backup file (C:/Users/James/AppData/Roaming/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds/campaigns/test/db.backup.637202480752068283.xml)
[3/19/2020 8:54:35 PM] Starting private server mode. [(192.168.0.119:1802) (fe80::4c70:ec44:4ff:1452:1802)]
[3/19/2020 8:54:35 PM] Game server started. [192.168.0.119:1802]
[3/19/2020 8:54:35 PM] Launcher scene exiting.
[3/19/2020 8:54:35 PM] Tabletop scene starting.