PDA

View Full Version : Tracking movement on battlemap

Idar12
March 18th, 2020, 00:52
Hi!

Just picked up Fantasy Grounds unity a few hours ago. What's the best way for players to track their movement when moving across the battle map? I haven't been able to figure out how to lock the tokens like I could on Fantasy Grounds classic

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2020, 01:16
Token locking will not be implemented until after the full release; and we re-prioritize all the features we want to add including this one.

Regards,
JPG

YellowAdder
April 14th, 2020, 14:51
Token locking will not be implemented until after the full release; and we re-prioritize all the features we want to add including this one.

What would you suggest players do to track/measure movement for the time being? Is there any current functionality that can aid in that? The only thing I can figure is using the drawing tool and erasing, which is clumsy but works okay for simple movement.

Speculi
April 14th, 2020, 15:09
One way to make it a bit easier is use the arrow keys to move your token. That way each key press is one square (5" for D&D) and most characters have something like 25-30" movement range, so something like 5 to 6 key presses available.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2020, 16:19
What would you suggest players do to track/measure movement for the time being? Is there any current functionality that can aid in that? The only thing I can figure is using the drawing tool and erasing, which is clumsy but works okay for simple movement.
Use the quick pointer (right-left button combo) and count squares if needed.

Macabreus
April 21st, 2020, 00:32
is this still true about token locking? I would love to test out Unity for some new players, but at this point i am thinking about just using classic. I know it sounds a little crazy, but i do like the feature that much.

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 05:44
Unity still does not have token locking implemented. You can watch the update notes sticky to see when it's implemented

Macabreus
April 21st, 2020, 06:25
Unity still does not have token locking implemented. You can watch the update notes sticky to see when it's implemented

Thank you!

YellowAdder
April 21st, 2020, 22:13
is this still true about token locking? I would love to test out Unity for some new players, but at this point i am thinking about just using classic. I know it sounds a little crazy, but i do like the feature that much.

As a relatively new FG user, having started with Classic about 5 months ago, I have to say that Unity is a better choice despite missing some high-value features like token locking. I suppose that may not be the case if one of those missing features is one you absolutely can't live without, but I and my current group are finding it a few steps up from classic even in its current state.

That said, the easiest way to find out if its for you is to throw out a month's payment for an Ultimate Unity sub and spin the wheels with something for a few weeks. You'll realize pretty quick whether it will be a good fit or not.

Macabreus
April 22nd, 2020, 17:48
As a relatively new FG user, having started with Classic about 5 months ago, I have to say that Unity is a better choice despite missing some high-value features like token locking. I suppose that may not be the case if one of those missing features is one you absolutely can't live without, but I and my current group are finding it a few steps up from classic even in its current state.

That said, the easiest way to find out if its for you is to throw out a month's payment for an Ultimate Unity sub and spin the wheels with something for a few weeks. You'll realize pretty quick whether it will be a good fit or not.

Yep, I am a kickstarter backer so I have had it since its infancy. It has grown immensely and I am super excited about it. I used it last night to run a one shot for LMOP and the only thing I would say is that sometimes the program spins the wheel and takes longer to load things than classic. I would assume that will be polished eventually. There are a lot of features that are nice. Also, for people that are used to Roll20, they see it as a hassle to download a program, register, connect, etc. They also dont like that you cant log in while the GM is offline. I personally like FG way better than Roll20.