PDA

View Full Version : From Classic to Unity concerning memory

Rook
March 17th, 2020, 23:39
I believe Unity is going 64 bit, so my question revolves around memory.

For Classic, maps were suggested to have the jpg format to minimize transferring size - zooming in to it looked poor.

I would much rather use png format. I realize that Unity has nothing to do with transmission rates (I think...) but will I see a difference with Unity if I use png?

I guess basically what I'm asking is if I can up my maps size (pixel and file size), have more tokens on a map, and go hog-wild with graphics.

Rook

damned
March 18th, 2020, 00:06
You always have to cater for the lowest denominator.
5 of you might have amazing computers but the 6th doesnt.
Bear that in mind when you are dancing naked in the firelight!

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2020, 00:22
Also, you have to consider transfer rates, in addition to your player's systems. In general, FGU will support better maps; but you should temper going hog wild with how long to load, as well as how much load on the player's machines.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2020, 03:34
And don't forget to dance naked in the firelight. Just please, don't share any pictures when you do!

notrealdan
March 18th, 2020, 03:44
If you know that all players have fast connections and enough memory, I don’t see a reason not to try higher-quality images in FGU. As with any beta, YMMV, but a beta is for testing, right? Give it a test! :)

Image quality can have more to do with pixel count and compression than jpg vs png, by the way. Jpg files can be quite high quality. I don’t know if one format is more efficient than the other in terms of file size or memory consumption...

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2020, 03:51
Image quality can have more to do with pixel count and compression than jpg vs png, by the way. Jpg files can be quite high quality. I don’t know if one format is more efficient than the other in terms of file size or memory consumption...
VERY roughly, jpg files are better for photo-realistic images. Since the format was create for photographs. PNG are better for typical computer graphics (i.e. images has sharp contrast between rapidly changing colors) because that what the format was created for.

Trenloe
March 18th, 2020, 12:44
PNG files are lossless - i.e. no data is changed from the original image to the saved file. PNG also allows for transparency - it is this reason why FG uses this for tokens.

JPG files are lossy - i.e. there is some compression, and subsequent data "loss" compared to the original. If you keep the JPG compression small, you'll have very good quality files - usually with less file size than an equivalent PNG file.

My recommendation would be to use JPG with a low level of compression for base images and maps. Then use PNG for tokens and tiles (if they require transparency).

And, as mentioned above, I wouldn't tend to go "hog wild". Just because you can load 10,000x10,000 pixel images on your 32GB RAM computer doesn't mean that this will work efficiently for you and for everyone within a dynamic gaming session - FG still has to process all of those pixels, and with the addition of line-of-sight and other cool image functionality (effects, tiles, etc.) you could easily result in your system crawling to a halt...