PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Encumbrance

yeknom
March 17th, 2020, 13:35
Hi there, I was wondering if there was a way to modify the effective encumbrance a character can carry? Say, if it were a Barbarian from the Complete Barbarian's Handbook with their +3 bonus to Strength for the purposes of determining movement rate while encumbered. As an example in the Pathfinder Ruleset you can modify this in the Encumbrance section to allow for a character to 'effectively' have a higher Strength for the purposes of encumbrance. Would that have to be a modifier to the final movement put under the combat gear somewhere?

celestian
March 17th, 2020, 15:17
Hi there, I was wondering if there was a way to modify the effective encumbrance a character can carry? Say, if it were a Barbarian from the Complete Barbarian's Handbook with their +3 bonus to Strength for the purposes of determining movement rate while encumbered. As an example in the Pathfinder Ruleset you can modify this in the Encumbrance section to allow for a character to 'effectively' have a higher Strength for the purposes of encumbrance. Would that have to be a modifier to the final movement put under the combat gear somewhere?

There is currently no such option. It's all based on the PHB encumbrance rules (table 47) at this time.

JohnD
March 17th, 2020, 17:51
As a work around, figure out the difference in how much the PC can carry with the STR adjustment and make an item with a negative weight accordingly.

celestian
March 17th, 2020, 17:53
As a work around, figure out the difference in how much the PC can carry with the STR adjustment and make an item with a negative weight accordingly.

That's an interesting solution ;)

Asterionaisien
March 17th, 2020, 20:07
That could be an interesting solution for a bag of holding or similar stuff too, am I correct?

celestian
March 17th, 2020, 20:12
That could be an interesting solution for a bag of holding or similar stuff too, am I correct?

For a bag of holding I just tell the players to tick the "carried" icon to show not-carried for items in the bag.

yeknom
March 18th, 2020, 01:34

I'll try that. Thanks!