PDA

View Full Version : Non-numeric Dice

heliopolix
January 3rd, 2007, 03:04
I have been messing around with the dice in gameelements.xml, and am wondering if its possible to modify it so that you can use alphanumeric characters instead of only numbers. I know that the program itself draws a whitespace overlay on top of the d*_icon.png, but I cant seem to find where it is. I even looked around the FG exe a bit with a resource editor, but couldnt find the overlays in there (or wasnt looking hard enough).

What I am trying to achieve is the ability to use an X for mis-fire, or even use another png (of a transparent/white) starburst to show mis-fire instead. Also, a dice with a blank side, or some of the more unusual and game-specific d6's out there are also things I'd like to be able to roll, with a "/die 1dChthulu" or somesuch command.

I have been able to determine that the numbers are probably hard-coded into the exe, because it can handle up to four-digit numbers, but only numbers.

To the dev's: is this level of customization even available from a user standpoint with the configuration xml files, or would it require modifying the executable? I suspect the latter, and if so, will such modifications be possible on v2.0?

If modifying the exe is required, i'd really like to get a look at the source code, although I can understand the need for you to protect your IP. If theres other people in this community that would like to have access to non-numeric dice, perhaps we can collaborate, although I've no intention of making the modified exe available without submitting it to the Dev's for approval.

Looking forward to some answers / postulations / best guesses.

Later,
helio

PS:
On a side note, even FG has a "Hello World" hidden away inside its guts :D.

heliopolix
January 3rd, 2007, 03:09
One other thing I discovered was that there can be negative numbers too. Just no special characters, or non-integer numbers.

joshuha
January 3rd, 2007, 17:06
Well since you can program your own custom script handlers in 2.0 things like /cthutlu that would run a function that outputs to the window the results are easy.

Now tying that to a graphical dice? I don't think they've opened that up to use to modify with the LUA scripting and depending on how they decided to render the dice it may not be as easy as just specifying some PNGs for the die faces.

So the functionality is there in 2.0 as you can make your own function to generate a result against a table but no fancy custom dice yet.