PDA

View Full Version : Get "The host is running an unauthorized copy..." error

Spetzel
March 17th, 2020, 06:23
I have successfully run FG Classic. Today I bought FG Unity and tried setting up to Host a session. I used the Public Server option and then tried connecting to the server (shown in the Lobby List) using a Demo account (different from my Ultimate account) running on a different computer.

On the server it shows the new user connecting and then immediately disconnecting.

On the client it gives me the error shown below.

Any suggestions as to what I should try next?

[3/16/2020 10:07:59 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/16/2020 10:08:13 PM] Attempting named connection to server. [Spetzel]
[3/16/2020 10:08:19 PM] Client attempting authorization. [GW01 - RELAY]
[3/16/2020 10:08:20 PM] Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is down.
[3/16/2020 10:10:40 PM] Network setup cancelled by user.
[3/16/2020 10:10:57 PM] Attempting named connection to server. [Spetzel]
[3/16/2020 10:11:01 PM] Client attempting authorization. [GW01 - DIRECT]
[3/16/2020 10:11:04 PM] Authorization failed: The host has protected the session with a password. Please retry with correct password.
[3/16/2020 10:11:18 PM] Attempting named connection to server. [Spetzel]
[3/16/2020 10:11:21 PM] Client attempting authorization. [GW01 - DIRECT]
[3/16/2020 10:11:26 PM] Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is down.
[3/16/2020 10:11:50 PM] Network setup cancelled by user.
[3/16/2020 10:11:54 PM] Attempting named connection to server. [Spetzel]
[3/16/2020 10:11:57 PM] Client attempting authorization. [GW01 - DIRECT]
[3/16/2020 10:11:57 PM] Authorization failed: The host has protected the session with a password. Please retry with correct password.
[3/16/2020 10:12:04 PM] Attempting named connection to server. [Spetzel]
[3/16/2020 10:12:08 PM] Client attempting authorization. [GW01 - DIRECT]
[3/16/2020 10:12:08 PM] Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is down.

damned
March 17th, 2020, 06:54
It could be that the Authorisation server is down or it could be something blocking the Demo computer from accessing the Authorisation server.
If you are unable to get it working can you collect the Log files from that computer and email them to support@ and explain the situation and they can check.

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2020, 11:40
Did you enter the demo users forum username and password into settings?

Moon Wizard
March 17th, 2020, 20:33
I just put a fix in place that should address this issue for all ultimate licenses that were having problems. Can you have your players try to connect again?

Thanks,
JPG

sidi1625
March 31st, 2020, 14:37
we still have the same problem, my players just cant join my game..

Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is down.

we tried fresh installation, port forwarding and more..

Trenloe
March 31st, 2020, 14:43
we still have the same problem, my players just cant join my game..

Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is down.

we tried fresh installation, port forwarding and more..
Welcome to the forums sidi1625! Sorry you're having issues.

What version number and text does it show in the top right of your main FG screen? Does it say v4.0.0 FREE (2020-03-26) or something else?

sidi1625
March 31st, 2020, 14:50
for me its "v4.0.0 Ultimate (2020-03-26)", for my players its "v4.0.0 FREE (2020-03-26)"

sidi1625
March 31st, 2020, 15:24
this is a text from another user in the forum in another post:

Version: 2020-03-16 all systems
One system (host): ultimate
Other systems: FREE
Tried public, lan, and private all same message
Connecting from: multiple laptops tried, different accounts (all free) attempted to join, same issue (unable to attempt account that is not free)
Able to see campaign on server list if public
When players connect, they quickly connect then disconnect (viewed in chatbox as [insert name] connected [insert name] disconnected)
Ultimate license: subscription and key was verified using multiple means

this summarizes my problem pretty well..
and here is a video in which you can see it as well:
https://youtu.be/dT-X9VKjqJc

Salz78
April 1st, 2020, 01:27
My users and I did and uninstall and a fresh install today. Same problem - my copy is unauthorized.

Moon Wizard
April 1st, 2020, 01:31
I looked on your account just now, and I only see a single FGU Standard license. So, demo users would not be able to connect to you with a Standard license.

If you believe this is an error, please reach out to [email protected] to figure out your orders and to get the right license.

Regards,
JPG

Salz78
April 1st, 2020, 02:09
Hi Moon, were you referring to my account? Yes, I did purchase a standard FGU, but all of my players couldn't upgrade just yet, so I bought an Ultimate Subscription. I have the Ultimate Sub key in my launcher and the launcher marks it as a verified Ultimate Key.

Moon Wizard
April 1st, 2020, 02:24
I don't see the Ultimate key linked to your account, which is why I asked.

Is the subscription still active?
As noted in the FAQ, if you cancel the subscription, the key is revoked immediately due to the limitation of our connection with Paypal.

You should contact [email protected].
If you deactivated early, they can get you refunded, so you can make a new subscription.
If it's not linked to your account, they can link using your invoice email receipt.
In any case, they should be able to investigate the license you have. Please provide the key you are using in the email to support.

Regards,
JPG

Salz78
April 1st, 2020, 02:37
Ah, that is the problem. I did cancel it, because we only needed it for one month. Thanks!

Dragonwithlotus
April 18th, 2020, 17:42
Hi. I had a subscription, cancelled it, and bought the license. I was excited because I was having the same problem with trying to get a player on my game! Could it be that I am still running on the cancelled license? I entered the license code that was sent to me when I purchased FG-Unity. Is there a way to confirm that I am running on the purchased license and not the cancelled version? Thanks!

LordEntrails
April 18th, 2020, 18:45
Hi. I had a subscription, cancelled it, and bought the license. I was excited because I was having the same problem with trying to get a player on my game! Could it be that I am still running on the cancelled license? I entered the license code that was sent to me when I purchased FG-Unity. Is there a way to confirm that I am running on the purchased license and not the cancelled version? Thanks!
Welcome.

If you bough via the FG Store, check your Order History. If you bought via Steam check your CD Keys.

Dragonwithlotus
April 18th, 2020, 21:21
Welcome.

If you bough via the FG Store, check your Order History. If you bought via Steam check your CD Keys.

Thanks for the quick reply. Confirmed purchase through the FG store. Updated software on my side (multiple times- it indicates an active license and then dates it 4/17. My wife is still getting the same error message on another computer. I am gonna reach out to another player and see if she has any luck. If it doesn't work, I'll be back!

Dragonwithlotus
April 20th, 2020, 03:20
Thanks for the quick reply. Confirmed purchase through the FG store. Updated software on my side (multiple times- it indicates an active license and then dates it 4/17. My wife is still getting the same error message on another computer. I am gonna reach out to another player and see if she has any luck. If it doesn't work, I'll be back!

I wrote another player and gave her log in details and she did not not see my name listed as a Game Master. I tried on my wife's computer again, found my game, and got the same error message (authorization failed: the host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is shut down."

I am trying to run a cloud based game off Fantasy Grounds Unity. Right now, I am just trying to get players into the platform to start their characters. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Thank you for the help and support.

Dragonwithlotus
April 20th, 2020, 03:32
Update: My game keeps disappearing from the list of games. When my wife cancelled, then attempted to join my game again, my name was not on list.

Dragonwithlotus
April 20th, 2020, 04:02
Sorry, total noob question. A GM has to be logged into the Fantasy Grounds application on his/her computer for people to be able to see his/her game? What we found was that my name disappeared from my wife's list when I logged off the application on my computer. When my friend tried to access my game, I am assuming I was not logged into Fantasy Grounds.

When I was logged in, I could see that my wife was able to connect to the game, but was immediately disconnectedgot this error message on her end:
Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or the authorization server is down.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2020, 04:12
@dragonwithlotus
Please post a screen shot of the FG Launch screen right before you start your campaign. And screenshot the chatwindow right after FG starts up.

And yes, if your game is not running (i.e. you are in the campaign), it will not appear on the campaign list.

Dragonwithlotus
April 20th, 2020, 04:33

Dragonwithlotus
April 20th, 2020, 04:35
Here you go. Thanks for the help.

Dragonwithlotus
April 20th, 2020, 04:37
Here is what my wife got.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2020, 06:47
Sorry if you already answered this, has your wife gone into Settings and entered her username and password and done a Log In and then Save?

Also, she should run an Update. Not sure why it's red, but it shouldn't be and if an update doesn't get rid of the red outline something else might be wrong.

Dragonwithlotus
April 21st, 2020, 02:36
Hello. Ran the update. Still no luck. She is able to connect and then it immediately disconnects. Here is a picture of my side of things.

Nylanfs
April 22nd, 2020, 17:29
EVERYONE on Unity HAS to have a forum account now, has she made one and entered it?

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2020, 17:36
Hello. Ran the update. Still no luck. She is able to connect and then it immediately disconnects. Here is a picture of my side of things.
For a test, change the campaign to "LAN" mode (not Cloud) and ask your wife to join campaign using the internal IP address of your GM instance. This will help point towards what the issue might be.

damned
April 23rd, 2020, 01:43
people getting this error on FGU - what do you get on this link: https://server.fantasygrounds.com/test.html

Dragonwithlotus
April 23rd, 2020, 03:05
I think we figured it out. I re-entered the license on my log-in screen and it has been working well since yesterday. Now that we are in, super excited to get started! Thanks to everyone for the their help.

Brandonlopez829
July 4th, 2020, 08:37
I have a player in my group who is the only one not able to join my campaign. All else have been able to. Same issue Login and immediately disconnected. I have tried everything on here multiple times.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

LordEntrails
July 4th, 2020, 16:21
I have a player in my group who is the only one not able to join my campaign. All else have been able to. Same issue Login and immediately disconnected. I have tried everything on here multiple times.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

please let us know what the answers to all the questions in this thread are so we can further help.

ShweatyBlopez
July 4th, 2020, 18:35
please let us know what the answers to all the questions in this thread are so we can further help.

Soo, we have made him login to the forum, he has reset his account, uninstalled and reinstalled in different drives. We did port forwarding for port 1802. Made a new account.

Me as the dm I've re entered my info and keys also.

But he can't login to anyone's game. From any account, for example a player whos account worked gave him their free account info to try and the same issue.

Not sure what to do, we've tried a ton more than this too. Including modem and router testing.

Thanks for the quick reply. please let me know if you need his user name.

WoooooomannTtv
July 4th, 2020, 22:39
I’m the one having trouble HELPP I FELL AND I CANT GET UP! hehehe

damned
July 5th, 2020, 01:26
I’m the one having trouble HELPP I FELL AND I CANT GET UP! hehehe

Are you using Comcast, Cox, Shaw or Xfinity?

Also close FG delete any firewall rules for FG and then when you try to connect or run an update or login and your security app asks if you want to allow access say Yes.

ShweatyBlopez
July 5th, 2020, 02:44
No we are mostly using spectrum but hes the only one with it that has an issue.

I believe we allowed all access to the fire wall but i can ask him to check again. and yes that prompt and obviously allow. He was able to connect from another computer on a different WiFi. Could the router be the issue?

LordEntrails
July 5th, 2020, 02:58
Everyone is on the exact same version date? Have you tried in a new campaign with no extensions and no content loaded?

ShweatyBlopez
July 5th, 2020, 03:03
Everyone is on the exact same version date? Have you tried in a new campaign with no extensions and no content loaded?

yes we have tried that as well, i even tried to switch accounts. he was able to connect at a different home and wifi on his account

damned
July 5th, 2020, 03:27
When you say another computer on another wifi - what does that mean? The same address? Different address?

ShweatyBlopez
July 5th, 2020, 03:29
completely different address :) by the way thank you for the quick response!

damned
July 5th, 2020, 03:38
Then yes - the router might not be allowing the connection through.
Also have player(s) close FG, delete any firewall rules and then relaunch FG and try and connect.
Choose to allow on any firewall prompts.

ShweatyBlopez
July 5th, 2020, 03:55
Ok perfect thank you we will try that!

Tarrken
July 14th, 2020, 00:16
i'm also getting the message. My GM logged in with my credentials on a different computer and it worked. so it's definitely my computer. any ideas what my be blocking from authorization? i checked my firewall, all my internet settings, and went through all the troubleshooting tabs on the launcher. i'm out of ideas.

damned
July 14th, 2020, 00:40
Welcome Tarrken

If you are with Cox, Comcast, Shaw or Xfinity there is a sticky thread that you shoudl read.
Otherwise try going into your windows firewall and removing any Fantasy Grounds rules.
Close and relaunch FG and when the Windows Firewall prompts make sure you say Allow on all networks.

davidx_3
June 1st, 2021, 02:48
Hi, i'm trying to start a new campaign with my friends. We have played before in fantasy grounds (not unity) and i just purchased FGU ultimate.
As people here, everybody can connect to my game but one person. We have tried everything listed in this topic, nothing works, also we do not use the cited ISPs, as we are from Brazil, we all use the same local ISP, including the one who can not get in. Don't know what to do.

damned
June 1st, 2021, 03:29
Hi davidx_3

are you getting the same error as the OP?

davidx_3
June 1st, 2021, 04:00
Uh sorry but what OP stands for?
Anyway, i am the DM, i have FGU Ultimate, i have 3 players connected to my game (all demos) and one person cannot connect with that error "Authorization failed: The host is running an unauthorized copy, or authorization server is down."
Versions are ok, tried re entering login, license, the windows firewall thing.. still don't work for him

damned
June 1st, 2021, 04:47
please can you have him try and log into my campaign?
GM: damned
Game: DBMMLP

OP is Original Post or Original Poster
So yes, you are getting the Authorisation error.

It is most likely something at the players end that is preventing it from checking the license server.

davidx_3
June 1st, 2021, 11:57
Well.. sorry, our time zones are very different (us to you) so we were already sleeping. I'll talk to him to try do this today if we find you online.
Thank you!

damned
June 1st, 2021, 12:04
We are indeed in different timezones. The computer is on most of the time though.

davidx_3
June 1st, 2021, 14:00
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CDB94LRVUny5MNvWJ7mEkpEsU-CXNqiJ/view?usp=sharing

This is his log, i uploaded in google drive. He tried to enter in your campaign.

damned
June 1st, 2021, 14:10
Things for your friend to try - enable hotspot on mobile phone and connect via that internet to test
Check router for advanced firewall features
Check if antivirus or software firewall is blocking fantasygrounds.exe

Trenloe
June 1st, 2021, 14:15
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CDB94LRVUny5MNvWJ7mEkpEsU-CXNqiJ/view?usp=sharing

This is his log, i uploaded in google drive. He tried to enter in your campaign.
This user got the same error seen in your log:: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54343-Player-can-t-join&p=486794&viewfull=1#post486794

For them the player had a proxy set, but it wasn't correctly configured. Some information on proxies in Window 10 here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set-proxy-server-windows-10/

davidx_3
June 1st, 2021, 20:44
This user got the same error seen in your log:: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54343-Player-can-t-join&p=486794&viewfull=1#post486794

For them the player had a proxy set, but it wasn't correctly configured. Some information on proxies in Window 10 here: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-set-proxy-server-windows-10/

This was the problem, it works now! Thank you :)

damned
June 2nd, 2021, 04:16
Great news!