PDA

View Full Version : Graphics in FGU

geewaagh
March 17th, 2020, 00:44
Looked through the forum and could not find a post, sorry if this is a repeat question.
Whats the deal with graphics in FGU? Dice, Character Sheet, portraits are all pixelated. Is there a way to fix this? Will it be fixed at launch?

Best regards
Geewaagh

ddavison
March 17th, 2020, 02:31
Hello gewaagh,

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

LordEntrails
March 17th, 2020, 04:02
This is not what others are seeing. As Doug has mentioned, please post a screen shot. Also, if you would, please read this post and include relevant information as requested (and in this case, screen settings such as resolution and scaling will be important). Thanks!
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51687-How-to-Report-Issues-Bugs-and-Problems

Ecks
March 17th, 2020, 04:39
I've also noticed some of the graphics appear less crisp in FGU versus FGC. For example, in the Combat Tracker with the 5e theme, the various icons are somewhat fuzzy in FGU. With the default theme this doesn't appear to be an issue. Heading text in story entries is slightly fuzzier, as is the padlock icon in the top right (both in default and 5e theme). Screenshot attached comparing the two.

Windows 10. Monitor resolution is 3440x1440. Windows scaling set to default 100%. FGU scaleui setting is unchanged.

geewaagh
March 17th, 2020, 23:02
Hello gewaagh,

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

See image here:
https://i.imgur.com/Qc28N1M.jpg

All the graphics are pixelated, not crisp. Its very off putting, I assume it's a setting or something.

Geewaagh

spite
March 18th, 2020, 00:09
I get the same thing with mine. Dice are also pretty pixelated (not to mention laggy/unresponsive)
On a 1920x1080 monitor:
https://puu.sh/FlLLl/54367fab6a.jpg compared to Classic's https://puu.sh/FlMsV/9a7f9bbd39.jpg
Menu buttons, and header text https://puu.sh/FlLNf/39f26d0b1e.jpg and https://puu.sh/FlMA6/0a0935ea6b.jpg compared to Classic's https://puu.sh/FlMtz/50248ee372.jpg and https://puu.sh/FlMtF/e5b10381d1.jpg

twistedtechmike
March 18th, 2020, 11:37
I am seeing the same graphics issues as the users above. Rolling d20 into chat are barely legible in Unity.

Windows 10, current patches
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
16GB RAM
nVidia 1060 GTX 6GB v442.50
Sound BlasterX AE-5
Twin 1080p monitors

wyndhydra
March 24th, 2020, 05:59
I am also seeing similar issues. All of the text is making me think that I need glasses, but when I go to a different game or open a pdf, I realize it is just FGU. Any changes would be greatly appreciated as I play with my parents that are quite a bit older and have less than great vision on a good day.

Windows 10, Current patches
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.8 GHz
32GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 960
Dual monitors each at 1920x1080

bmos
March 24th, 2020, 12:21
Yup, it's definitely not as crisp as FGC.
I don't find it that hard to ignore but it's not as polished feeling in that way.

seycyrus
March 24th, 2020, 14:22
This seems to be a tricky issue to nail down. I am seeing some of the issues mentioned, but also note that FGU looks better in other areas. I have attached a screenshot for discussion purposes.

My specs.
Ryzen 9 3900x, 32 GB DDR4,
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
DirectX 12.0
Nvidia 1070GTX, Driver 441.87
Monitor - ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q Black 27" 165Hz 2560 x 1440

I am only using the monitor mentioned above in this comparison. Two versions of FG were placed side by side at the same time.

I am using the GURPS ruleset and directly copied the campaign folder from FGC to FGU.

Fantasy Grounds Classic is on the right (with the decal map in the background), and Fantasy Grounds Unity is on the left. I opened up the same windows and tried to place them in the same positions. One oddity is that to get things to be the same approximate size, I had to /scaleui 130 for FGC (left), and /scaleui 110 for FGC (right). I also note that the character sheet has a different background shading.

As mentioned in the beginning, it does seem that FGU looks better in a lot of places, but I'll note the deficient areas.

1) (Black Oval): Gurps Logo and Border around chat window appears to be more pixelated in FGU (left).

2) (Yellow Oval): Character sheet borders seem to be more pixelated in FGU.

3) (Brown Oval): Character Selection box. The images are different sizes. I believe I saw a post somewhere about this, but I cannot recall exactly what the reason was for this discrepancy.

4) (Turquiose Oval): The border around the hexadecimal input window is more pixelated in FGU.

5) (Black Circle): Illuminati eye (GM Tower in this ruleset) appears less crisp in FGU (left).

notrealdan
March 24th, 2020, 14:55
To be honest, I hadn’t noticed any graphical issues noted above before. Now I see some, but they’re generally pretty easy to overlook.

I have no special insight into what SmiteWorks thoughts are about this, but my guess is that their priorities go roughly like this:
1. Make promised features “work.”
2. Squash as many bugs as possible. <— We are currently here.
3. Optimize performance.
4. Make it pretty. <— Addressing this falls here.

(All while now supporting two products instead of one.)

Considering how much work their small team still has ahead of them, I wouldn’t expect drastic changes to the graphics until sometime well after launch. Again, just my thoughts. I don’t speak for anyone else.

seycyrus
March 24th, 2020, 15:40
Well certainly, all your points are not only valid but correct. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I just wanted to make sure that those who had reported such issues know that they are not crazy, and that others are seeing them as well.

pindercarl
March 24th, 2020, 15:42
To be honest, I hadn’t noticed any graphical issues noted above before. Now I see some, but they’re generally pretty easy to overlook.

I have no special insight into what SmiteWorks thoughts are about this, but my guess is that their priorities go roughly like this:
3. Optimize performance.

Considering how much work their small team still has ahead of them, I wouldn’t expect drastic changes to the graphics until sometime well after launch. Again, just my thoughts. I don’t speak for anyone else.

Your assessment is pretty spot on.

Neovirtus
March 24th, 2020, 19:57

3. Optimize performance.

Your assessment is pretty spot on.

While discussion of priorities is interesting, I don't find it particularly relevant in these forums. We're beta testers, we report the bugs, developers decide when to fix them. I love that this community is so supportive of Smiteworks, but I feel like sometimes that supportiveness leads to a lack of productive conversation. I don't think that when an error is reported, a response of "I don't think it's that bad!" is very helpful.

Thanks Geewaagh for reporting an issue I hadn't been able to put my finger on, but had definitely noticed. I'm definitely seeing the issues with dice visuals.

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, current updates
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
16GB RAM
Asus Dual 1070 GTX 8GB v442.74
Primary Monitor (displaying FGU) - 2560x1440 144hz
Secondary Monitor - 1080p 60 Hz

I've attached a comparison of the visuals in FGC and FGU as I'm seeing them.

notrealdan
March 24th, 2020, 20:23
While discussion of priorities is interesting, I don't find it particularly relevant in these forums. We're beta testers, we report the bugs, developers decide when to fix them. I love that this community is so supportive of Smiteworks, but I feel like sometimes that supportiveness leads to a lack of productive conversation. I don't think that when an error is reported, a response of "I don't think it's that bad!" is very helpful.

I did not say, “I don’t think it’s that bad” at all. I didn’t even imply that. I said that the issue is easy to overlook, as in my case I did not even notice it right away.

I never said at all that it’s not something worth looking into, that reports about it are not valuable/welcomed, or anything to discourage discussion about it.

My point was only to point out that it may be a long while before the developers spend any resources looking into this. That’s all.

Please do not put words in my mouth.

Neovirtus
March 24th, 2020, 20:34
Sorry, not trying to put words in your mouth. There had been a couple comments in the thread that lead me to get the impression that the issue was being dismissed and not worth reporting now. Yours was simply the most recent one.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2020, 20:38
Dice visuals were updated in the latest patch today.

Neovirtus
March 24th, 2020, 20:41
Please note the image I put in post #14 was after that update. Thanks!

notrealdan
March 24th, 2020, 20:48
I'm not sure if they look any different, but they sure do fly across the screen if I move my mouse cursor at all while "rolling" them...!

Edit: But that's worthy of another thread if others are also seeing that.

Neovirtus
March 24th, 2020, 20:52
Yeah Notrealdan, I've been playing with the dice to figure out if there was some reason they were being launched, but their velocity appears to be completely independent of any input I could find.

Transbot9
March 25th, 2020, 00:30
Using two 1080p monitors and a side-by-side comparison, what is happening is that FGU is scaling the GUI by 125% compared to FGC. Graphics cards settings will affect how it looks.

Fellow AMD fanboys, open up your Radeon control panel then go to the Gaming tab. Under the Games tab, you will want to select the 3 vertical dot menu on the far right and then click "Add A Game." Find your Fantasy Ground Unity EXE. Once it is added, scroll down and turn on Radeon Image Sharpening. Play with the settings to your liking. Remember, while Unity is being used for (and can be used for) a 2D application it is still a 3D engine. Might even be able to tweak the visuals more under advanced settings.

I'm sure that themes will be debugged at some point but this is still looking good for an indy beta!

seycyrus
March 25th, 2020, 01:19
@Transbot9

Your images don't seem to be all that different to me, but I'll play around with my Nvidia control panel settings to see if I can get lucky.

In my control panel I can "apply" the setting changes. Do those changes take place immediately on the open FGU program? Or would I need to exit FGU and then reopen?

Thank you for your help.

Transbot9
March 25th, 2020, 06:47
Exit and reopen each time.

ddavison
March 25th, 2020, 13:54
Sorry, not trying to put words in your mouth. There had been a couple comments in the thread that lead me to get the impression that the issue was being dismissed and not worth reporting now. Yours was simply the most recent one.

In SmiteWorks' opinion, all issues are worth reporting now or whenever you uncover them. We don't plan on dismissing any reported bugs, but we do prioritize items based on the severity and the impact it has on people's game or experience -- as you would expect.

Transbot9
March 27th, 2020, 20:58
UPDATE: I had totally forgotten that I had scaled down the UI in Fantasy Grounds Classic by 85%. Whoops, my bad. UI Scaling doesn't appear to have been added as an option to FG Unity yet.

Copernicus219
March 27th, 2020, 21:04
UPDATE: I had totally forgotten that I had scaled down the UI in Fantasy Grounds Classic by 85%. Whoops, my bad. UI Scaling doesn't appear to have been added as an option to FG Unity yet.

UI scaling has been implemented in FGU. I think it's/scaleui.

Surge
March 28th, 2020, 14:25
Hello,

I would like to raise this issue again. It detracts quite a bit from the experience. Particularly the dice, but overall everything looks fuzzy to some degree. I've included a link to a comparison I made today between the dice of FGU and FGC to show that the problem is quite significant.

https://i.imgur.com/SB3wiFk.png

Kind regards.

LordEntrails
March 28th, 2020, 21:46
It will be addressed. But not until the following are resolved;
- installer issues
- network connection
- missing functionality
- stability
- performance
And then cosmetic issues will be worked on and resolved. It's all about priorities :)

geewaagh
April 3rd, 2020, 21:01
It will be addressed. But not until the following are resolved;
- installer issues
- network connection
- missing functionality
- stability
- performance
And then cosmetic issues will be worked on and resolved. It's all about priorities :)

Good to hear. Keep the updates coming. Since I love for my games to be visually appealing to my players (maps, images, tokens, etc) the current graphic state of FGU is a deal breaker to host a game.

twistedtechmike
April 8th, 2020, 11:31
For those not experiencing the issue, it may seem like a 'prettiness' issue, but those of us who are, its a game breaker. All text is just hazy enough to drive one nuts. I can't spend more than 1 or 2 minutes in FGU before I close it. All this is from a staunch FGC user, and purchaser. I can't imagine a new user buying FGU to experience this.

LordEntrails
April 8th, 2020, 17:23
For those not experiencing the issue, it may seem like a 'prettiness' issue, but those of us who are, its a game breaker. All text is just hazy enough to drive one nuts. I can't spend more than 1 or 2 minutes in FGU before I close it. All this is from a staunch FGC user, and purchaser. I can't imagine a new user buying FGU to experience this.
But there are workable, if not desirable, solutions for this. There are other issues that their are no workable solutions for.

I can only image the challenge the Devs have prioritizing what is resolved first, but so far I can't really argue with the choices they have made.

Surge
April 9th, 2020, 00:33
In the hopes that it might help the devs somewhat, the issue with the fuzzy fonts and dice (and pretty much everything) - at least for me - appears to stem from my graphics card (Nvidia GTX 1070). I say this because when running FGU on my desktop with said graphics card, everything is very fuzzy, as if it is entirely out of focus, yet if I run it on my Surface Pro 6 (with integrated graphics), everything is peachy.

Am happy to provide whatever diagnostic data which may help.

ddavison
April 9th, 2020, 16:34
Thanks everyone. We have a new version that should be releasing this week that may address some or all of these reported issues. Please stay tuned for the release notes in the coming hours & days and let us know if you see any improvement with the next update. Carl reworked fonts and dice graphics and it should also improve performance in ruleset load times as a result.

Neovirtus
April 9th, 2020, 16:39
Awesome. Thanks for the update Doug. Now my F5'ing of the Unity forums will be even worse as I wait for the next update to test!

ddavison
April 10th, 2020, 21:55
Do any of you folks have HDR enabled. I just got a new monitor that supported HDR and started seeing a lot of strange effects when streaming, recording video or running some HDR content and some non-HDR content. My non-HDR content was horribly washed out. This is evidently by design and turning off HDR support in Windows made everything vibrant again.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln308136/colors-are-faded-and-washed-out-when-high-dynamic-range-is-enabled-in-windows-10?lang=en

Silverwolf75
April 10th, 2020, 22:57
Hello,

I would like to raise this issue again. It detracts quite a bit from the experience. Particularly the dice, but overall everything looks fuzzy to some degree. I've included a link to a comparison I made today between the dice of FGU and FGC to show that the problem is quite significant.

https://i.imgur.com/SB3wiFk.png

Kind regards.

Oh lols did not even notice this untill i came across this tread and opened both fg and fgu next to eachother

Surge
April 11th, 2020, 00:41
Hi Doug,

Just checked for HDR settings. None of my monitors support it. They are all set to Standard Dynamic Range.

Thank you for looking into it though.

RaggedyJack
April 11th, 2020, 08:32
Unity Dev here - If I had to guess, the icons look like image compression artifacts (ECS perhaps?). Fonts are hard in unity generally so I have no assistance there without knowing more about what you are doing, but the dice look like they need AA. Just new to the FG but been deving professionally with unity for 5+ years

RaggedyJack
April 12th, 2020, 00:35
Hey again - I got a message asking if I would be happy to help, and I am. Let me know if it would be helpful to jump on a video call to chat through the texture artifact issue, potentially any other unity issues you might be having too (Can't guarantee that I will have an answer, but I recognise some of the issues in the UI from some of our previous projects).

I just had a quick look into the texture issue (e.g. the dragon with transparency above the UI elements) and the most common issues that result in that are 'alpha cutout/shader settings', 'over-aggressive compression' or 'mipmapping issues'.

Some links
https://images.app.goo.gl/7PJsgehfEWjgBEFf6
https://answers.unity.com/questions/10302/messy-alpha-problem-white-around-edges.html

Ecks
April 15th, 2020, 01:51
The graphics look much better after the latest update (2020-04-13). Thank you!

bmos
April 15th, 2020, 12:04
I agree. This latest update has made things so much crisper.

seycyrus
April 15th, 2020, 12:36
I'm still seeing problems with the look of my graphics.

ddavison
April 15th, 2020, 14:51
I'm still seeing problems with the look of my graphics.

Can you verify the version # shown on the launch screen? Is it showing 2020-04-13?

seycyrus
April 15th, 2020, 17:33
Yes, I have 2020-04-13.

pindercarl
April 15th, 2020, 17:48
Yes, I have 2020-04-13.

There do appear to be some issues with the GURPS ruleset when using scale UI. I'll take a look when I have a moment.

seycyrus
April 16th, 2020, 01:29
There do appear to be some issues with the GURPS ruleset when using scale UI. I'll take a look when I have a moment.

@pindercarl,

Thanks for your efforts. I posted over in the Gurps forum in the ruleset thread. Some of the problems seem to have been recently addressed (as of an hour ago), at the expense of the background wallpaper. The GURPSCore extension seems to be at the heart of the matter.

Surge
April 17th, 2020, 13:37
The latest update has certainly improved the issues I have been having with fuzzy graphics - thank you - but there is still a notable difference between my Surface Pro (with integrated graphics) and my Desktop (with a GTX 1070).

Fantasy Grounds on the Surface is still clearer and sharper than on the Desktop, including the text on the Launcher.

boomstick76p
June 22nd, 2020, 21:25
Gentlemen,
First, here are my system specs:
-Win 10 pro 64, current
-ASUS PRIME Z490-V ATX
-Intel i9-10900K 10/20 3.70GHz [Turbo 5.2GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200
-GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11Gb GDDR6
-16 GB RAM (2 X 8GB Delta R T-Force)
-Samsung LED Curved 32" (C32F391FVN)

Mind you this is after transferring my Data files to this new Rig and initially installing FGU classic with updates before even seeing the "blurry" text on this new PC.

I too had the issues of "blurry" dice, right tab menu items ( Char, Items, Race, Background, etc.), as well as the log window. I played around a bit, I tried adjusting my NVIDIA settings contrast to 80%, no help. I tried re-installing my recent graphics driver, no help. The solution I did find have was this: Since my Monitor, Samsung LED Curved 32" (C32F391FVN) which is no longer made, is not 3D compatible, I decided to investigate further into my NVIDIA controls. Upon further investigation, I turned OFF all of NVIDIA 3D settings. To my surprise, when I re-launched FGC Updater and launched D&D 5e, the blurriness was gone. I suggest trying this to fix your blurriness only if you do not have a 3D capable monitor. Attached is the before and after results. Sorry, one is brown and the other grey, but you can see that the after is much better.