PDA

View Full Version : How to do conviction?

IceBear
March 16th, 2020, 22:08
How can I apply Conviction as an Effect? It doesn't look like + 1d6 is a valid effect. All I can think of right now is having the player roll a d6 after the fact and adding it to the result manually. Just given how much of it is automatically calculated I would like to have something more elegant

Skellan
March 22nd, 2020, 10:21
I am not sure you could automate this as you choose to add 1d6 after you have failed a roll.

Dandersonjr32
March 22nd, 2020, 15:03
Would that work, though, since you're adding the d6 to the highest roll? Won't it just generate another d6 result?

Skellan
March 22nd, 2020, 15:12
Yes, there is no automation for this that I am aware of.

Dandersonjr32
March 22nd, 2020, 15:22
I would guess that means no Conviction for FG, which is a bummer, we use it quite often. You could, of course, just do it manually I guess. Roll 2d6 and count on your fingers until you have the result and just manually apply the results, so I guess that works. Thanks Skellan.

mac40k
March 22nd, 2020, 17:14
Players have to manually track whether they have Conviction or not on Character Sheet, probably in Notes tab. To use, GM can temporarily set "Dice: Desktop dice can Ace" in the Options menu to On. Player can drop the d6 on the chat window and if it rolls a 6, FG will automatically reroll and give you correct total. GM has to do the math to add total of extra d6 to prior roll and adjust total in the Combat Tracker accordingly. Don't forget to set desktop dice can Ace back to off afterwards. If changing the option is too much trouble for the 1 in 6 chance that it Aces, just have the player reroll the d6 if it Aces and do the math yourself, since the automation that is possible doesn't really buy you that much.

Skellan
March 22nd, 2020, 18:43
Yeah, what Mac said. I don't find using conviction on FG a problem. If it is a trait test its is just a case of adding the additional number for conviction to the test and the results are usually narrative. If it is added to an attack roll, I adjust the attack number on the combat tracker to the new result and it auto calcs raises etc. Same for damage.

nclayton
March 26th, 2020, 05:51
An extension could be made to at least track it on the character sheet. Is there a way through scripting to apply the result of the current die roll to the “rolling player”‘s last roll?

mac40k
March 27th, 2020, 16:47
I guess I'm just lazy, but some things are more trouble than they are worth to try to automate them in FG and/or don't come up often enough to make the effort worth it AFAIC. While I'm not opposed to an extension to add a properly labeled check box or radio button on the character sheet (as long as somebody else codes it :p), somethings are just easier to deal with the same why I would at a real table and the extra d6 to a roll is one of those.

amerigoV
March 29th, 2020, 15:31
It would be nice if there as at least an indicator on the sheet like a Bennie (something visual for players and GM). Otherwise, its one of those things that will fall away from disuse.

mac40k
March 29th, 2020, 17:14
Since it is an optional setting rule, it shouldn't appear on the character sheet by default, but I wouldn't mind if it became an option in the base ruleset that could be turned on and off via the options menu. I submitted the idea last year here--> https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=127374

Perhaps you could go there and vote for it so it has more than 5 votes. Otherwise, someone could code an extension to add it. I'm just too lazy to do it myself.

amerigoV
March 29th, 2020, 23:28
Since it is an optional setting rule, it shouldn't appear on the character sheet by default, but I wouldn't mind if it became an option in the base ruleset that could be turned on and off via the options menu. I submitted the idea last year here--> https://savagefgii.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=127374

Perhaps you could go there and vote for it so it has more than 5 votes. Otherwise, someone could code an extension to add it. I'm just too lazy to do it myself.

Voted.