PDA

View Full Version : Question about Item management

pumpkinheadgiant
January 1st, 2007, 05:57
I'm just now learning to use this tool. I purchased a Full and a Lite license, and am running on two machines so I can get the feel for how the player UI works so I can teach it down the road (should I go fully into moving into this software as the home for my campaign).

I was sort of surprised at the inability to drag Items onto characters. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing?

Also, is there a way to associate images with Items?

If you can't tell, inventory management and prep is something that I enjoy sharing at my table if I can. It would be nice to be able to provide to the players. I realize that I can show an Image of an item, and paste the name and description text into the chat window, but it sure would be nice to be able to wrap these elements up in a single, distributable object.

Also: I really am enjoying the software. Excellent work!

Griogre
January 1st, 2007, 21:07
There is not currently anyway to drag items around to players like you wish or associate images with items. Items currently and in 2.0 are just text in a character structure. FG actually uses XML as its data base. XML strength is its portability, its "human readability", its flexibility, and its translation abilities between dissimilar programs but it does not handle record manipulation fast or well.

This is not a slam at Smiteworks, because if you follow the logic of actually loading records into some data base where they can be easy manipulated you then have to define what is a record. With D&D this is very hard. This is because the base rules have many exceptions - feats are a great example of this. Ideally you would use you exceptions to define what characteristics should be but because feats are continually added this is a moving target requiring endless revisions.

Its takes us back to just having groupings of text as FG’s XML currently does because it gives you great flexibility – i.e. you can write in any feat including the one you just make up. NPC Designer, which I think is the best random NPC generator, takes the same approach.