PDA

View Full Version : Is Fantasy Grounds Unity going to come to Steam?

Xamusel
March 16th, 2020, 04:09
Hey... just wished to know how to tell if my version of Fantasy Grounds is the new version. Anyone know what to check for?

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2020, 04:29
FGU will come to Steam. But not until it is released (i.e. the beta is not and will not be available on Steam).

If you are running via Steam then you are running FGC. You can also check on the launch screen. FGU is version 4.0. FG is currently 3.3.10.

Xamusel
March 16th, 2020, 04:30
Alright. Thanks for that.

snakh
March 16th, 2020, 15:09
Random semi-unrelated question: The last estimate I read from the devs said they're planning for a Q1 FGU release. Anyone know if that is still the plan? I'm trying to work out my gaming budget :D

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2020, 17:40
Random semi-unrelated question: The last estimate I read from the devs said they're planning for a Q1 FGU release. Anyone know if that is still the plan? I'm trying to work out my gaming budget :D
I don't think that date has been mentioned in a couple of weeks, but it is still the last date that I've heard mentioned.

billyb3
March 17th, 2020, 22:51
FGU will come to Steam. But not until it is released (i.e. the beta is not and will not be available on Steam).

So, that means that those who purchased an Ultimate license via steam will not get the 10% beta discount?

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2020, 22:53
So, that means that those who purchased an Ultimate license via steam will not get the 10% beta discount?

Yes, they will. The 10% discount will run throughout the Open beta period and I fully expect that it will be available on Steam long before that period comes to an end.

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2020, 03:30
I don't think that date has been mentioned in a couple of weeks, but it is still the last date that I've heard mentioned.

My response here was out of date a couple hours after it was given.

FGU beta will come to Steam and you will be able to get the discount. It's jsut that their were unforeseen challenges getting the beta on Steam. The issue is being worked and FGU Beta will be available on Steam as soon as possible, but no known/reported timeline.

Prince of Swords
March 31st, 2020, 15:54
My response here was out of date a couple hours after it was given.

FGU beta will come to Steam and you will be able to get the discount. It's jsut that their were unforeseen challenges getting the beta on Steam. The issue is being worked and FGU Beta will be available on Steam as soon as possible, but no known/reported timeline.

Very exciting news! Is there any update on the Steam release? :D

Jgraten
April 6th, 2020, 18:05
I'm eager to purchase on Steam asap. I've got Ultimate and really want to save that 40% by adopting FGU ultimate early. Any updates three weeks later? I imagine the pandemic is putting a hamper on things.

Zacchaeus
April 6th, 2020, 18:14
No update; lots of hoops to jump through to get it (and more especially the DLC) onto Steam.

Trenloe
April 6th, 2020, 18:37
I'm eager to purchase on Steam asap. I've got Ultimate and really want to save that 40% by adopting FGU ultimate early. Any updates three weeks later? I imagine the pandemic is putting a hamper on things.
Are you in the USA? If so, there's really no advantage to buying on Steam.

Yad
April 6th, 2020, 20:05
The concern for me is that the advertised discount for FGC Ultimate licenses buying into FGU is currently not available if you made that FGC Ultimate purchase via Steam. If it was available directly from FG's website I would have already purchased it.

Mithralmir
April 7th, 2020, 13:34
I've got exactly the same issue. It's a bit frustrating because being locked at home due to the pandemic, it should be a great time to start using unity version.
I've made the mistake to buy my ultimate version on Steam so now I must wait....

Jgraten
April 7th, 2020, 14:32

But right where you would purchase FGU it states this in the discounts FAQ:
"If you already own a 1-time license of FGC, you will get a discount added to your Shopping Cart when you Add it to your Cart. This is in addition to any other ongoing sales.

FGC Standard licensees get 20% off FGU Standard licenses
FGC Ultimate licensees get 40% off FGU Ultimate licenses
Note: If you own a license on Steam, you will need to wait for us to launch Early Access on Steam before you can take advantage of these bundle discounts. The same bundles will be available there."

Does that not mean I have to wait for it on steam to save $60?

Trenloe
April 7th, 2020, 15:01
But right where you would purchase FGU it states this in the discounts FAQ:
"If you already own a 1-time license of FGC, you will get a discount added to your Shopping Cart when you Add it to your Cart. This is in addition to any other ongoing sales.

Does that not mean I have to wait for it on steam to save $60?
If your license is showing in your FG website order history then I believe you should get the discount.

Check your order history here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/myorders.php

Or just try adding the FGU license to your cart and see what discount it lists.

Jgraten
April 7th, 2020, 15:49
If your license is showing in your FG website order history then I believe you should get the discount.

Check your order history here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/myorders.php

Or just try adding the FGU license to your cart and see what discount it lists.

Unfortunately nothing is shown. Adding it to cart only discounted the current 10% deal.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2020, 15:57
Unfortunately nothing is shown. Adding it to cart only discounted the current 10% deal.
That's a shame. Thanks for checking, sorry to waste your time.

Jgraten
April 7th, 2020, 16:19
That's a shame. Thanks for checking, sorry to waste your time.

That's alright. I'm just really eager to jump on the deal before missing the opportunity because money is tight. I'm hopeful to get news from on high soon.

Trenloe
April 7th, 2020, 16:21
It'll probably be sorted out... just in time for the July 4th sale! ;)

pspope
April 7th, 2020, 19:13

I'm in Canada and i just check how much it will cost me if i buy it directly from Smitework and it will cost me around 52$ CND with the 10% included (didn't check for the ultimate) and if i buy the classic version on steam it's 44$ CND without the 10%.
So in my case, it does make sense to wait for Unity version to be release on Steam.
The big question is when...

Trenloe
April 7th, 2020, 19:20
Welcome to the FG forums pspope!

I'm in Canada and i just check how much it will cost me if i buy it directly from Smitework and it will cost me around 52$ CND with the 10% included (didn't check for the ultimate) and if i buy the classic version on steam it's 44$ CND without the 10%.
So in my case, it does make sense to wait for Unity version to be release on Steam.
Yep, there are good reasons to buy on Steam if you're not in the USA. Hence my comment about no advantage to buying on Steam if you're in the USA.

Tikkuls
April 9th, 2020, 02:04
I can confirm lack of a 40% discount currently available if your licenses for FGC were previously purchased through Steam. I contacted FG support to see if there was any around to obtain the discount while ordering through the FG website and received the following response:

"Hello

We do not have the Unity open access avilable on Steam yet so that is why you are only seeing the 10% only discount. We have a few more hurdles to cross before Unity is ready on Steam but when it releases the system will add an additonal 40% discount for you during the open beta period. We have no ETA but are hoping to have it ready in the near future."

MY Steam account is correctly syncing with my FG account to show that I own the license, but alas no 40% discount. Hope this clears this up for people. I am in the same boat, stuck patiently waiting for FGU to be released on Steam.

billyb3
April 9th, 2020, 02:40
I am in the same boat. My order history shows FGC as a steam purchase in my order history. The confusing thing for me is that the Fantasy grounds newsletter that I receive says that Unity is available on Steam. My frustration is that I went ahead and purchased a subscription to ultimate thinking it would be a month or so. I do not have a problem giving up 10 bucks or so so I can convert my campaigns and give some feedback. But, it may be another month and then it will almost have been cheaper to just buy the one time off the website.

Sapling93
April 15th, 2020, 14:59
Hey guys... How is development going? As a non-US resident, I can't wait for the release on Steam. Do you still think that mid-late-April is doable?

qdwag
April 15th, 2020, 16:29
Why is everyone so excited for the Steam edition to come out? What's the difference between just your regular FGU version and the one on Steam (when it arrives)? Just asking.

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2020, 16:34
Why is everyone so excited for the Steam edition to come out? What's the difference between just your regular FGU version and the one on Steam (when it arrives)? Just asking.
Their is no difference in the program. But depending upon where you live their is a difference in cost. Steam does Regional Pricing, where it adjusts the prices of what it sells to the economic prosperity of the country/region.

I forget the exact numbers, but for instance the US price of a standard license in Brazil is on the scale of the average monthly income. So Steam reduces the price substantially for buyers in that country.

qdwag
April 15th, 2020, 16:35
Their is no difference in the program. But depending upon where you live their is a difference in cost. Steam does Regional Pricing, where it adjusts the prices of what it sells to the economic prosperity of the country/region.

I forget the exact numbers, but for instance the US price of a standard license in Brazil is on the scale of the average monthly income. So Steam reduces the price substantially for buyers in that country.

Ah ha! Okay thanks for that! Good to know!

Tikkuls
April 15th, 2020, 16:39
qdwag,

There is no difference in the software to my knowledge. The difference would be in the cost to obtain an FGU license.

As it currently stands, if you have an Ultimate license of FGC you can purchase an Ultimate license of FGU at a large discount (40% I believe). However, if your existing ultimate license was purchased through Steam, then you have to wait until FGU is available through Steam to take advantage of the discount. Until FGU is released on steam, those people with existing licenses through Steam will have to pay significantly more for the software if they buy it directly from Fantasy Grounds (due to the lack of the discount).

Hope that clears up why everyone is so anxiously waiting for a Steam release.

MarikSteele
April 15th, 2020, 16:40
There are also U.S. buyers such as myself who've been out-of-the-loop as to whether, when, or by how much FGC went on sale directly from SmiteWorks, but jumped on a sale when presented in-your-face on Steam. I've subscribed to this thread in hopes of hearing when to expect it on Steam Early Access and came here today specifically because of that weekly email digest I'm getting.

Jgraten
April 16th, 2020, 04:11
qdwag,

There is no difference in the software to my knowledge. The difference would be in the cost to obtain an FGU license.

As it currently stands, if you have an Ultimate license of FGC you can purchase an Ultimate license of FGU at a large discount (40% I believe). However, if your existing ultimate license was purchased through Steam, then you have to wait until FGU is available through Steam to take advantage of the discount. Until FGU is released on steam, those people with existing licenses through Steam will have to pay significantly more for the software if they buy it directly from Fantasy Grounds (due to the lack of the discount).

Hope that clears up why everyone is so anxiously waiting for a Steam release.

This is absolutely the reason people are talking about steam FGU.

globster
April 17th, 2020, 12:11
Can someone at least tell the estimate date? one month, half year? please cause money are waiting to be spend.

Jgraten
April 17th, 2020, 15:03
Can someone at least tell the estimate date? one month, half year? please cause money are waiting to be spend.

This month.

Nylanfs
April 17th, 2020, 15:50
I would guess more than one month, less than 4 months.

Jgraten
April 17th, 2020, 15:51
I would guess more than one month, less than 4 months.

They said this month.

eporrini
April 23rd, 2020, 18:39
From a Smiteworks perspective, why is there this disparity in bundling licensing? I have been holding off buying a FGU license (along with all of my players) as the promised discount for owning the classic license is not available on the website. I would think Smiteworks would be incentivized to offer it now, saving themselves some transactional fees they are likely paying to Steam and getting the revenue in. The difference between upgrading multiple FGU standard or even one ultimate license is significant. It also does not promote goodwill for existing loyal customers vs. someone new to the game picking up a license at a 10% discount now without any prior investment in the company or it's products. I don't have the answer to the problem as I don't know what capabilities are out there, but as far as I am aware all of the FG clients have a license key that could easily be validated prior purchase and allow us to move forward with FGU sooner and without feeling we are leaving $ on the table. Maybe just send existing customers an e-mail (or a steam communication) with a one time code based on the prior license purchased?

lostsanityreturned
April 23rd, 2020, 19:12
They said this month.

Yes lots of things have been said about FGU... it was meant to release before this month as well in the past.

Realistically the program isn't ready for release. If they release it in this state they will generate so much bad will from new customers (people not coming from FGC), 100% not worth it.

Nylanfs
April 23rd, 2020, 19:25
I played through Anarchy Online's launch, while Funcom did come back from it. Man did that take a long time for the company to recover from a bad launch.

lostsanityreturned
April 24th, 2020, 07:14
I played through Anarchy Online's launch, while Funcom did come back from it. Man did that take a long time for the company to recover from a bad launch.

Every launch funcom does is well below the acceptable bar sadly.

The secret world's launch, big oof.

Weissrolf
April 24th, 2020, 07:59
Since testing the network performance is only possible after buying a license the absence from Steam has kept me from doing so.

Jgraten
April 24th, 2020, 17:32
Yes lots of things have been said about FGU... it was meant to release before this month as well in the past.

Realistically the program isn't ready for release. If they release it in this state they will generate so much bad will from new customers (people not coming from FGC), 100% not worth it.

Why? They said, last month (a little before lockdown but while Covid was still in effect globally) that they'd have to wait a month because they weren't ready BACK THEN. So why do you think they'd get bad will when everyone is gaming online and they were already late?

Griogre
April 24th, 2020, 20:33
He's saying that a lot of Steam Purchasers are new to FG or VTTs in general. They will have high expectations the software at a minimum will:

1) Work with every FG DLC purchasable on Steam
2) The networking will work right, in a timely manner and automatically
3) All the features advertised will work

They aren't that far off - but in software development that last 10% of the project is where you find out which assumptions you made were wrong and what tasks you really have to do before you release that you didn't know about. XD

Jgraten
April 25th, 2020, 14:18
He's saying that a lot of Steam Purchasers are new to FG or VTTs in general. They will have high expectations the software at a minimum will:

1) Work with every FG DLC purchasable on Steam
2) The networking will work right, in a timely manner and automatically
3) All the features advertised will work

They aren't that far off - but in software development that last 10% of the project is where you find out which assumptions you made were wrong and what tasks you really have to do before you release that you didn't know about. XD
Right, I get that. But all we've seen is silence since their mention of the first quarter, it would be nice if they they communicated if they're still on track or if there's another possible delay.

lostsanityreturned
April 25th, 2020, 22:07
Right, I get that. But all we've seen is silence since their mention of the first quarter, it would be nice if they they communicated if they're still on track or if there's another possible delay.

Not sure if you have access to the beta forums or not, but if you do I think it would be clear there are still issues to iron out. It will get there, but I don't want them to hit a release date, I want a solid program releasing.

I wouldn't expect it to be in a polished state until maybe june at this rate. They may also be looking to bundle some of the ruleset changes into the release version of unity. I would, having a better UI and WAY better 5e character gen will make a big impression on new users coming through (and 5e is the vast majority of users)

Jgraten
April 25th, 2020, 22:29
I want it clear that I'm not looking for a rushed project either, they just haven't been heard from after saying to the public it would be this month. I have the beta demo, so probably I dont have access to the forums. Id love to have the beta but as we've all read, they havent brought it to steam yet. I do not want to miss the $60 savings I'd get for having Ultimate on Steam. If they must release a full product on Steam leaving supporters out of their sale, I'd be pretty upset, and as there's no communication on that front, here we are.

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2020, 23:55
Everyone has access to the Playtest forums for FGU. It really is where any discussion related to FGU that you want the developers to be aware of should be posted. It's also the place to discuss general FGU stuff at this time as well. (Though obviously the Tavern is acceptable as well.)

Jgraten
April 26th, 2020, 01:30
Everyone has access to the Playtest forums for FGU. It really is where any discussion related to FGU that you want the developers to be aware of should be posted. It's also the place to discuss general FGU stuff at this time as well. (Though obviously the Tavern is acceptable as well.)

Oh cool! Alright, thanks for letting me know.

Forben
April 27th, 2020, 03:29
If there was a way for steam ultimate/standard users to upgrade through the website and completely forget about steam, I would instantly do it, but no news regarding this, even though they can check I own a steam license since I linked it to my account in here.... I don’t own other licenses through steam either, just the ultimate, no scenario or packs or what have you. It’s getting really frustrating...

Jgraten
April 27th, 2020, 06:58
If there was a way for steam ultimate/standard users to upgrade through the website and completely forget about steam, I would instantly do it, but no news regarding this, even though they can check I own a steam license since I linked it to my account in here.... I don’t own other licenses through steam either, just the ultimate, no scenario or packs or what have you. It’s getting really frustrating...

Completely agreed.

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2020, 07:27
You can. But you won't get the 40% discount (or whatever it is), you'll only get the 10% discount.

If their were an easy/quick technical or legal way for SmiteWorks to do it (the Steam license check) I'm sure they would. But since they haven't then I'm sure it's one of those two reasons. Either they don't have a way to do so with a reasonable amount of resources, or their relationship with Steam would be in jeopardy. Right now SW is so over loaded with work on FGU and support requests as it stands they don't have time to take on another labor intensive task.

Jgraten
April 27th, 2020, 15:34
We know we can get the 10% discount, but that's an extra $45 we'd be paying. If anything I'd like to know that we can still get the discount (we're looking for) even if they can't bring it to beta on Steam. If a steam beta is just not a possibility for them for some reason, I'd like not to be left out of the deal.

Weissrolf
April 27th, 2020, 16:52
I bought FG Classic knowing that Unity was just around the corner. At that time people on the forum were told to buy whichever way was more appropriate for them, be it web-site shop or Steam. Based on this advice I expect to get the same discount via Steam as web-shop users get.

Currently Unity is not in a good shape to play with anyway, so I can wait, although I cannot test network connectivity as demo user.

Forben
April 28th, 2020, 04:32
You can. But you won't get the 40% discount (or whatever it is), you'll only get the 10% discount.

If their were an easy/quick technical or legal way for SmiteWorks to do it (the Steam license check) I'm sure they would. But since they haven't then I'm sure it's one of those two reasons. Either they don't have a way to do so with a reasonable amount of resources, or their relationship with Steam would be in jeopardy. Right now SW is so over loaded with work on FGU and support requests as it stands they don't have time to take on another labor intensive task.

Dont we link our steam account on smitework website for this exact reason though? So they can check which license we have and give us the rights to use whichever license we own?

LordEntrails
April 28th, 2020, 06:17
Dont we link our steam account on smitework website for this exact reason though? So they can check which license we have and give us the rights to use whichever license we own?
I don't think so, you link so you can get the DLC you purchased on Steam to be available to FG. My understanding...

FGC is already using a SmiteWorks provided license key (SW gives Steam a bunch of license keys, Steam then gives those out, they are not native Steam keys). The Sync is so that then FG knows to go to go check with Steam about what DLC you own and not which license(s).

But, regardless, my point is that if it were something SmiteWorks could do on their own with a reasonable level of effort, they would. For 5 years I've used this program and payed close attention to how SW treats their customers. Sure, they have made a couple of questionable decisions, but many many times they have gone out of their way to help customers when they really didn't have to and perhaps should not have. So, I have faith that if they knew of a solution that they could reasonable do without hurting other customers, then they would have already done it.

That's my opinion and only mine. Everyone is entitled to their own.

I can also say that SW doesn't get in the weeds publicly with its business decisions or challenges. So I doubt we are going to hear more from them on this until they actually have something solid and substantial to say. I know its frustrating for those wanting to get FGU through Steam, but it is what it is.

Loggmeister
May 23rd, 2020, 20:35
I like having my games on Steam for ease of installing on new computers. At least when I get a new laptop I can just log into steam and hit an install button.

TXCBoy36
May 23rd, 2020, 21:58

If you are running via Steam then you are running FGC. You can also check on the launch screen. FGU is version 4.0. FG is currently 3.3.10.

Is there any benefit in running FGC or FGU on steam? I am not on Steam so not sure what is the benefit in running on that platform.

Bonkon
May 23rd, 2020, 22:26
Is there any benefit in running FGC or FGU on steam? I am not on Steam so not sure what is the benefit in running on that platform.

Good Day TXCBoy36 :)
The program is exactly the same whether purchased in the store here of Steam. The main difference is if you are located outside the USA there might be monetary exchange rate differences so the price might be cheaper on Steam in those cases. (Also possibly taxes depending on the country of purchase I believe) :)
EDIT: I purchase directly from the store here as SW gets more from the sale without Steam taking a chunk a of the profit. :)
EDIT 2: Unless you have purchased "Bundles" they do not cross over the discount from one to the other I believe. :)

TXCBoy36
May 24th, 2020, 00:39
I am here in the USA and don't ever leave the area so I am assuming that I am good to go as is.

Urheil
May 29th, 2020, 17:19
Hi everyone!

I don't know too much about forums, so I'll just ask: do you know...

- when is fgu going to be able on steam?
- what things will be compatible between fgc and fgu?

I didn't find any link that's up to date with this... so if you have one it'll be appreciate it.

Thanks

Bonkon
May 29th, 2020, 18:33
Good Day Urheil :)
It was mentioned in another thread (It is a popular question) by (I believe it was) Moon Wizard that the majority left is up to Steam approval but the sheer quantity of content might be a delay on Steam's part.

All DLC purchased through the FG store either is or will be compatible with both FGU and FGC (Also DMSGuild I believe). They will have a symbol showing what it is compatible with and if LOS is completed for the FGU version. It has been mentioned elsewhere that you can copy a campaign from FGC to FGU and it will work. You cannot copy a campaign from FGU to FGC :)

Urheil
May 29th, 2020, 18:39
Good Day Urheil :)
It was mentioned in another thread (It is a popular question) by (I believe it was) Moon Wizard that the majority left is up to Steam approval but the sheer quantity of content might be a delay on Steam's part.

All DLC purchased through the FG store either is or will be compatible with both FGU and FGC (Also DMSGuild I believe). They will have a symbol showing what it is compatible with and if LOS is completed for the FGU version. It has been mentioned elsewhere that you can copy a campaign from FGC to FGU and it will work. You cannot copy a campaign from FGU to FGC :)

wow!!! great!! thanks!!

Morquendel
May 31st, 2020, 20:44
hope Steam is willing to do the dlc stuff soon....
i´m so keen on using fgu (LOS!!)

TXCBoy36
June 3rd, 2020, 04:04
If someone upgrades to Unity, can your players still play on FGC demo or do they have to also be on Unity to play? Is there a demo version of FGU?

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2020, 04:11
If someone upgrades to Unity, can your players still play on FGC demo or do they have to also be on Unity to play? Is there a demo version of FGU?
FGC and FGU can not connect to each other. If the GM is using FGC, the players must use FGC. Same if they are using FGU.

Yes their is a demo of FGU.

Urheil
June 22nd, 2020, 01:48
Is there any link to see when FGU will be on steam? (or maybe a link to see if it's already on steam besides searching for it on steam?)

I'm on Argentina, and the pricing has a *huge* difference on steam.

Thanks!

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2020, 04:14
No. I suspect it will be announced in the newsletter as well as on the forums here and the Steam forums when it becomes available. I recommend signing up for the newsletter. https://www.facebook.com/fantasygrounds/app/100265896690345/

Urheil
June 22nd, 2020, 05:34
Facebook said contenta not found ...

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2020, 16:21
Loads fine for me, but try going to the FG page on Facebook itself, then from the More pulldown choose Newsletter signup. https://www.facebook.com/fantasyground

Urheil
June 22nd, 2020, 22:06
Finally i could subscribed from my pc.

Thanks!!