PDA

View Full Version : Why can I not join my own game (Ultimate, license key conflict)?

Weissrolf
March 15th, 2020, 12:31
Hello.

I would like to run two instance of FG, one server and one joining said server. But I am not allowed to do that, with FG saying: "License key conflict".

As an owner of a Ultimate license everyone can join my servers, why can I not do so myself?

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2020, 12:46
To join your own game on the same computer start a second instance of FG and use 'localhost' instead of the IP address or alias to connect. If you have a second computer with FG installed you cannot run two instances of FG with the same license key at the same time. To join with your second computer remove the licence key and user settings and update FG so that it reverts to the demo version of the software and you can then join using the local IP address of the GM instance.

Weissrolf
March 16th, 2020, 00:16
Thanks for the quick answer. The "localhost" part does the trick.

Willot
March 16th, 2020, 02:18
Good old 127.0.0.1

Weissrolf
March 16th, 2020, 09:18
Well, yes. I still don't quite get the restriction, but it works.

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2020, 17:41
Well, yes. I still don't quite get the restriction, but it works.
I suspect it helps prevent one person from posting a license key on the internet for the world to use.

johnshep
March 16th, 2020, 23:57
how do you have local host?

LordEntrails
March 17th, 2020, 00:04
how do you have local host?
Start a second instance of FG. Chose "Join Game". Give a name Username such as 'Second Instance' or 'Player Test' and then in the Host Address' field type localhost

Zacchaeus
March 17th, 2020, 00:05
You start FG and open a campaign. You then start a second instance of FG and click join game. In the join box you type localhost and click join and you will join the first instance as a player.

johnshep
March 17th, 2020, 05:59
worked great!! Thank you so much!

thespinator
March 18th, 2020, 23:45
I have used localhost successfully in FG Classic. But when I try to enter localhost in FG Unity, the screen stalls on "Attempting direct connection to server. [127.0.0.1:1802]

(I have tried random other ports, with no success.)

Please hold - I am experimenting with using LAN vs Cloud and Public vs Private on the server. I will update.

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2020, 23:47
What version of FGU license do you own? A Standard or Ultimate FGU license is required to host any game, even on same computer.
(i.e. What version is reported in upper right of launch screen?)

Regards,
JPG

thespinator
March 18th, 2020, 23:50
I'm using Ultimate v 4.0.0 (2020-03-16)

thespinator
March 18th, 2020, 23:53
Solved it, thanks. Needed to host on the LAN, not the Cloud.

Moon Wizard
March 18th, 2020, 23:53
Great news. Thanks for letting us know.

Using a "localhost" connection does require running server in LAN mode.

Additionally, you can connect to your own cloud server from a second instance by connecting to your own user name.

Regards,
JPG

thespinator
March 18th, 2020, 23:59
Thanks for the info.

Weissrolf
March 20th, 2020, 09:57
I suspect it helps prevent one person from posting a license key on the internet for the world to use.

Makes sense.

kyleeliason
August 6th, 2020, 22:02
Question for everyone. If I want a cloud game (so that my remote friends can play) and I want to join myself (so I can see what they see), how do I do this? They can't join if I set it as a LAN game, right? And I can't join my own game if I set it as a cloud game, right? How do I do this? (In FGC, I was able to host a game, open another instance of FGC on the same computer and just join by using "localhost" as the IP address. Super simple.)

Granamere
August 6th, 2020, 23:18
I think if you set it to lan game then allow the port through your firewall and give the players your IP that should work. I need to go do some testing to see if that will work with Unity though.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2020, 00:39
Question for everyone. If I want a cloud game (so that my remote friends can play) and I want to join myself (so I can see what they see), how do I do this? They can't join if I set it as a LAN game, right? And I can't join my own game if I set it as a cloud game, right? How do I do this? (In FGC, I was able to host a game, open another instance of FGC on the same computer and just join by using "localhost" as the IP address. Super simple.)
See JPG’s post #15 above.

Roofy69
September 4th, 2020, 11:53
Does this work for Unity?

Trenloe
September 4th, 2020, 12:05
Does this work for Unity?
See post #15 above.

Roach
October 2nd, 2020, 08:26
Trying this in Unity Ultimate. Start a table as 'LAN', wait till it's up. Start another Unity instance, Join Game - LAN, enter localhost and 1802 (or 127.0.0.1 and 1802) - I get Authorization failed: License key conflict...

Is there any black magic I'm missing?

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2020, 10:46
Trying this in Unity Ultimate. Start a table as 'LAN', wait till it's up. Start another Unity instance, Join Game - LAN, enter localhost and 1802 (or 127.0.0.1 and 1802) - I get Authorization failed: License key conflict...

Is there any black magic I'm missing?
What operating system are you using?

How many Unity installations do you have on the same computer?

How are you starting the second instance?

Granamere
October 2nd, 2020, 15:07
This will not work with the demo version.

So if you have a demo version installed and are trying to connect into it with a version that has the Ultimate license it will not work. You need to do it the other way around.

Sorry I missed Ultimate in your post.

Are you using the same icon to launch the second (client) version? If not you should.

When you launch the second version hit Settings. This should bring up a message "We have detected that Fantasy Grounds is currently running" message. If so this is a good thing. If not then you have it installed in two different locations.

Also since you are running it on the default port try leaving the port blank and see if that works.

I would also start a new campaign and select nothing but Dungeons and Dragons 5e. Give it a name. Set to Server type LAN. Load no extensions. Then hit start. Once up see if you can connect to it.