PDA

View Full Version : 2 DM's using same internet connection

RPGDad
March 14th, 2020, 04:29
We are going to be running 2 separate games from home on the same night and I wanted to know if it is possible. Right now I sent port 1802 to my computer, but need to be able to have both of us running games at the same time and have our groups log in and play on on the correct machine. Any ideas?

Thanks

LordEntrails
March 14th, 2020, 05:20
There are two ways that I think should work. One of you can use a port other than 1802. But all the players will have to use a special command to connect to that game. Two is one of you can use a VPN which I think will give you a different IP.

Phystus
March 14th, 2020, 05:39
If I recall correctly, for option one you'd have to start FG with a command line argument of -pXXXX, XXXX being the port number you want to use. Best way to do that would be to set up a shortcut. Catch is, all the players, as well as the GM must do this (and all point to the same port number, of course). You'll also need two port forwarding rules on the router - the usual one to point traffic on 1802 to the GM using that port, and a new one to point traffic on XXXX to the other GM.

RPGDad
March 14th, 2020, 16:30
I'll have to give that a try this weekend. We both run tables at our FLGS on Wednesdays with 170 playing D&D there. Both of us have players who are uncomfortable going out right now so we are setting up for home play so we can continue play with all of our players.