PDA

View Full Version : Your PDFs converted for free for DMs Guild

rob2e
March 11th, 2020, 07:32
Hello 5E FG Community...

For those of you who are not yet aware, for the last 4 years (JAN 2016) I have been converting items for sale on the DMs Guild. In addition to my own creations, I have been helping other creators convert their adventures, bestiaries, tools, classes, backgrounds, anthologies, etc. to the Fantasy Grounds format for sale on the DMs Guild.

If you are a creator (or thinking about becoming one) for the DMs Guild, I just wanted to make you aware that my team (of 8 people) and I can convert your PDF(s) to Fantasy Grounds for sale on the DMs Guild.

We do this for FREE!

Too good to be true you say? Well, no...

It's true, we provide the service at no charge, we publish to the DMs Guild, and then we do what's called a revenue split, so you get paid, we get paid, and your material gets the extra exposure amongst the FG user base.

It really is a win/win.

Please feel free to contact me if you have an interest in getting more exposure.

My PREFERRED method of communication is Facebook MESSENGER, but if you are not on Facebook, my email is [email protected]

ThanX for your consideration...

Atua
March 11th, 2020, 11:29
rob2e your title and your initial portion of the post feel disingenuous to me. You do actually take a portion of the creator's money, just at a later stage, and quite possibly at a larger cost due to the fact that it is a percentage of the ongoing revenue, not an up front, one time cost.

rob2e
March 11th, 2020, 11:38
rob2e your title and your initial portion of the post feel disingenuous to me. You do actually take a portion of the creator's money, just at a later stage, and quite possibly at a larger cost due to the fact that it is a percentage of the ongoing revenue, not an up front, one time cost.

Everything stated is true. Not disingenuous or intended to be so. Zero fee to do the work, revenue split, found money on both sides. It’s a formula that works, and I have 120+ DMs Guild Creators I have worked with to back that up.

I apologize if it came off disingenuous as you say. Hopefully if you are considering working with me you’ll change your mind by consulting with ANY PERSON’S NAME you see next to mine on ANY title on DMs Guild. I’m quite confident you’ll receive good praise about me, my team, and the work no matter who you speak with.

StoryWeaver
March 11th, 2020, 13:18
Rob2e and his team do good work, I've picked up some of their modules.
They even have some great free ones, like the collection of some 300 or so pre-generated characters between levels 1 and 3. Something I use unsparingly for one shot campaigns with new players. So thanks for that rob2e! :)

rob2e
March 11th, 2020, 20:21
Rob2e and his team do good work, I've picked up some of their modules.
They even have some great free ones, like the collection of some 300 or so pre-generated characters between levels 1 and 3. Something I use unsparingly for one shot campaigns with new players. So thanks for that rob2e! :)

ThanX for the kind words Stymir.

Atua
March 11th, 2020, 23:25
I'm not trying to disparage the service (I have no experience with the final product, nor the service itself), it was more a voice of concern as to method/phrasing of the advertisement.

If it works for people, far be it for me to stop that arrangement.

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2020, 00:10
I'm not trying to disparage the service (I have no experience with the final product, nor the service itself), it was more a voice of concern as to method/phrasing of the advertisement.

If it works for people, far be it for me to stop that arrangement.
I don't see it as disingenuous. I look at it in terms of how others in our society use the term "free". How many times do you see a "free" drink, with purchase. Or a "free" service (like Google, Facebook,or Roll20) where the service they provide is free because you (your data) are the product they are monetizing?

Maybe it's not in the title, or at the top, but it's right after a big bold section that highlights the details and he says "we provide the service at no charge, we publish to the DMs Guild, and then we do what's called a revenue split, so you get paid, we get paid". I guess I didn't see that as being confusing. But it's certainly possible some might not.

Anyway, seems like you have stated the concern and it's pretty clear now to anyone who chooses to read the post and this thread what is going on. Feel free to followup as needed/desired.

Myrdin Potter
March 12th, 2020, 06:09
The conversion is for free, but I doubt that Rob2e would do the conversion without a chance to earn commissions on sales of the product in the future. There really is no cost to the original author as without a conversion, there would be zero incremental sales.

I have done some purely free conversions on DMs Guild, like this one, for example: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/251816/Waterdeep-City-Encounters?affiliate_id=229540 .However that was a special case as the current listing rules do not allow Adepts (or actual AL modules) to have 2 listings. I had done the conversion for my own use and offered it to Will so that others could benefit.

It is completely unfair to expect this as normal. Even that module was a lot of work to convert. For someone like rob2e and his team, their model is fair and zero risk to the original IP owner as rob2e makes zero except for on incremental sales that would not exist without a conversion.

GavinRuneblade
March 12th, 2020, 07:06
I'll also toss out my 2 cents of support as a happy owner of two of Rob's Complete Bundles. He and his team do good work, plus they maintain and bug fix over time. Something I really wish more publishers would do.

backwardoracle
March 19th, 2020, 16:56
Hi,
Rob is actually doing exactly what he says, I can't see any disingenuous intent either stated or implied. He (and his team) will do exactly what they say, they will not charge you (as a creator) a single penny, ever, which I do really believe is a definition of "Free".

What he does do, which is also stated quite explicitly, he takes a percentage of revenue from an entire new market share, that converting the creator's property to an FG compatible product, represents for the creator (not everybody on the DM's guild is an FG user or wishes to be) another income stream that they might not have access to otherwise.

However if you have already created content in FG, you don't really need Rob (& his team) to do this for you.

I'll admit its a totally shameless plug for Rob & Co. Offering to convert things to FG on a forum focused on FG, but lets face it, If there's something you need or want converting you know where to go. He has also encouraged others to do the same, to promote FG as the major VTT available.