PDA

View Full Version : Map Packs & FGU Map Making

JohnD
March 10th, 2020, 16:50
Looking at a product in the FG store; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=AAWFGANYSMP

With FGU will we be able to use these tiles to construct a map either "on the fly" or ahead of time in the program?

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2020, 17:45
You should be able to do that eventually. This particular tile pack was created for FGC; and won't work well in FGU (i.e. all the images are created as tokens in this module). I've forwarded to Doug to review for FGU release.

Also, there is no LoS on any of these tiles, and that would be a different requirement for this sort of product.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
March 10th, 2020, 17:55
i.e. all the images are created as tokens in this module
Looking at my copy in FGC they're all images.

This didn't really work well in FGC as 6x6 square stand alone tiles as FG images don't really work that well. In FGU (when converted and LOS added) these tiles will be amazing!

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2020, 17:58
They're also set up as image records; but stored in the tokens directory. This means they are doing double duty in FGC.

In FGU, this just confuses things; because FGU treats all files in "images/", "portraits/", and "tokens/" as their respective graphics types. If you tried to add one of these to a map in FGU in its current implementation, it would add as a token, not as a tile layer.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
March 10th, 2020, 20:21
They're also set up as image records; but stored in the tokens directory. This means they are doing double duty in FGC.

In FGU, this just confuses things; because FGU treats all files in "images/", "portraits/", and "tokens/" as their respective graphics types. If you tried to add one of these to a map in FGU in its current implementation, it would add as a token, not as a tile layer.
Thanks for the clarification! :)

Copernicus219
March 11th, 2020, 04:19
I just recently bought this map pack and was wondering if it was a bug that they are stored as tokens. Does this mean they will be changed or are they stuck as tokens?

Moon Wizard
March 11th, 2020, 20:28
Doug and I are discussing the future of these DLC. We may move them to FGU only products and fix data to work as expected, since they aren’t really useful in FGC as is.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
March 11th, 2020, 20:29
Doug and I are discussing the future of these DLC. We may move them to FGU only products and fix data to work as expected, since they aren’t really useful in FGC as is.
I agree. Good plan (if that's what you decide). :)

JohnD
March 12th, 2020, 19:03
FYI to anyone interested, I just saw this video is a recent upload; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVdiDA-jKp4&t=195s

ddavison
March 12th, 2020, 21:05
:)

I just updated it so it should work with Fantasy Grounds Unity now. It should auto-install the update for FGU if you run an Update and you are in the closed beta. The FGC version is left unchanged at this time. I marked it as FGU only and we may retire it in the future for FGC.

The store page has been updated.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=AAWFGANYSMP

We have not updated the rest of those in the series. I did this as an example for AAW Games. We are still discussing how to get the rest updated.

JohnD
March 12th, 2020, 22:05
I bought the dlc once I posted that. Eventually I'll figure out how to use it. For some reason it's hard to find a good sewer map.

ddavison
March 12th, 2020, 22:30
It turned out pretty nice for FGU.

matjam
May 7th, 2020, 04:17
how do you load the assets into the campaign? Sorry, total noob here.

ddavison
May 7th, 2020, 05:00
how do you load the assets into the campaign? Sorry, total noob here.

Hey Matjam, check this link:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950633/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM#Importing-Images-into-Fantasy-Grounds

Galdor
February 17th, 2021, 12:28
When I tried to edit a map tile, I accidentally deleted it: how may I recover it? 43829

Jiminimonka
February 17th, 2021, 13:04
:)

I just updated it so it should work with Fantasy Grounds Unity now. It should auto-install the update for FGU if you run an Update and you are in the closed beta. The FGC version is left unchanged at this time. I marked it as FGU only and we may retire it in the future for FGC.

The store page has been updated.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=AAWFGANYSMP

We have not updated the rest of those in the series. I did this as an example for AAW Games. We are still discussing how to get the rest updated.

OOooohhh Shiny! Just bought it

ddavison
February 17th, 2021, 14:01
When I tried to edit a map tile, I accidentally deleted it: how may I recover it? 43829

You can just bring it back in from your Assets > Images. The tile you deleted was a campaign record.

Also, if it just happens, you can use CTRL+z to undo the last action. A stack of actions are recorded that can be undone while editing.

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 14:03
You can just bring it back in from your Assets > Images. The tile you deleted was a campaign record.

Also, if it just happens, you can use CTRL+z to undo the last action. A stack of actions are recorded that can be undone while editing.

And CTRL+y to redo it. I hate not seeing the whole cycle given :)

ddavison
February 17th, 2021, 14:13
And CTRL+y to redo it. I hate not seeing the whole cycle given :)

That is because we did not implement a two-way undo stack. CTRL+Y is not implemented, unless the team snuck it in and didn't update our documentation. Our documentation only lists CTRL+Z as an undo of the last operation.

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 14:19
That is because we did not implement a two-way undo stack. CTRL+Y is not implemented, unless the team snuck it in and didn't update our documentation. Our documentation only lists CTRL+Z as an undo of the last operation.

I'm confused. We are talking about editing things in a map correct? Or are we talking about that right control bar in maps? Because for sure I use CTRY+z when I undo asset placement and then CTRL+y when I want to redo them back. I mean I did it yesterday.

ddavison
February 17th, 2021, 14:24
I checked with Carl and John to see where all it has been implemented and we can update the documentation to match.

ddavison
February 17th, 2021, 16:50
Per Carl, CTRL+Y does work for redo actions on the Image Control. I've added it to the wiki for interacting with maps. Thanks Silent Ruin.

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 17:34
Per Carl, CTRL+Y does work for redo actions on the Image Control. I've added it to the wiki for interacting with maps. Thanks Silent Ruin.

Quick question. I'm having trouble with LOS today in building out a fairly simple map - do I make my own thread on the subject or do I post it in some other thread - if so where?

Jiminimonka
February 17th, 2021, 17:36
Quick question. I'm having trouble with LOS today in building out a fairly simple map - do I make my own thread on the subject or do I post it in some other thread - if so where?

What's the problem?

Trenloe
February 17th, 2021, 17:38
If you can't find a thread that matches your issue 100% it's best to start a new thread in the appropriate forum. This will keep your issue focused and allow others to find a solution to similar issues in the future.

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 17:42
If you can't find a thread that matches your issue 100% it's best to start a new thread in the appropriate forum. This will keep your issue focused and allow others to find a solution to similar issues in the future.

Did not see this before I answered the post above yours, sorry.

Trenloe
February 17th, 2021, 17:44
Did not see this before I answered the post above yours, sorry.
No worries. It was quite different to this thread, so I moved it to it's own thread. Hopefully it's not lonely there...

SilentRuin
February 17th, 2021, 17:46
No worries. It was quite different to this thread, so I moved it to it's own thread. Hopefully it's not lonely there...

Galdor
February 18th, 2021, 15:24
No, I can't. In Assets > Images I may find Campaign (and Data) images, but that tile is not there; I may find also the whole map which that tile belonged, but not that single deleted tile..:(

ddavison
February 18th, 2021, 15:40
What was the source for A1 before you created the campaign record? That source should still exist if you pulled it from Assets originally. The name A1 is too short to search within the Assets window, unfortunately, but it should not be possible to delete an Asset when working with the campaign image record.

Galdor
February 18th, 2021, 15:51
What was the source for A1 before you created the campaign record? That source should still exist if you pulled it from Assets originally. The name A1 is too short to search within the Assets window, unfortunately, but it should not be possible to delete an Asset when working with the campaign image record.

That tile (A1) was a single part of a whole map: in the Assets window there is the source (the whole map which that tile belonged, with that tile in it), but not that single tile. In Images I have the whole map, with that tile in it, with a red pin (shortcut) in order to open the tile, but when I click on the red pin the A1 tile shows blank (as pictured in the image linked in my previous post)

ddavison
February 18th, 2021, 16:35
If you delete a layer, it doesn't delete the underlying asset. If the asset is from a module you are using from the Assets window, you can't delete it either. If you physically deleted the asset from your hard drive, then you have to restore it there first and then bring it back over.

Galdor
February 18th, 2021, 19:48
If you delete a layer, it doesn't delete the underlying asset. If the asset is from a module you are using from the Assets window, you can't delete it either. If you physically deleted the asset from your hard drive, then you have to restore it there first and then bring it back over.
I deleted the tile A1 when I was editing it (as single tile), so when I open that tile (A1) now it looks blank (as pictured in the image I posted few posts ago)

ddavison
February 18th, 2021, 19:53
Where did you get the tile from originally? Is this tile from a module in the Assets folder? If so, what folder was it from? It is a local file you imported to your campaign from your computer?

Galdor
February 18th, 2021, 20:03
Where did you get the tile from originally? Is this tile from a module in the Assets folder? If so, what folder was it from? It is a local file you imported to your campaign from your computer?
The tile/sub-map is included in a map module, which includes a whole map composed by several tiles/sub-maps, and by the single tiles/sub-maps separately.
In the Assets } Images folder (where you suggested me to go) there is only the preview of the whole map.
In the Images folder in the sidebar I may find both the whole map and the single tiles/sub-maps, but when I open the single tile/sub-map I deleted it opens but it looks blank/empty (as showed in the image I posted)

ddavison
February 18th, 2021, 20:10
Is this one of the modules available in our store or from somewhere else? All of the individual tile images should also be in the Assets folder if created properly. It sounds like this one may not have been.

Galdor
February 18th, 2021, 20:32
Is this one of the modules available in our store or from somewhere else? All of the individual tile images should also be in the Assets folder if created properly. It sounds like this one may not have been.

In the Assets } Images folder I see only 'previews' of all the images in there.. Please consider that this tile/sub-map does not show up only in the campaign where I deleted it: it shows up properly in all the other campaigns where I load the module (which is one of the modules available in FG store)

ddavison
February 18th, 2021, 20:55
You can drag from the image preview back to your campaign or to the blank image to restore it. If you are running directly from the module, you can also Revert the module in your Library > Modules screen.

This is how you can use the Assets window to make maps from tiles found in your Assets folder:

https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996640673/Creating+Maps+with+Tiles

There is a video walkthrough at the end which may help.

Galdor
February 18th, 2021, 23:50
You can drag from the image preview back to your campaign or to the blank image to restore it.
The problem is what I wrote:

In the Assets } Images folder (where you suggested me to go) there is only the preview of the whole map.
..so I cannot drag that single tile to the blank image to restore it :(

ddavison
February 19th, 2021, 00:16
What is the module you purchased from the store with the missing tile?

Galdor
February 19th, 2021, 00:31
What is the module you purchased from the store with the missing tile?

As i wrote, every tile is missing in the image preview (in Assets - Images folder): there is only the whole map

ddavison
February 19th, 2021, 03:07
As i wrote, every tile is missing in the image preview (in Assets - Images folder): there is only the whole map

I don’t think we are communicating effectively. What is the name of the module that this is from? Where did you get the original tile?

It might be helpful if you make a quick video and post it to YouTube walking us through what you are seeing, what you did originally to delete the tile and where you got them originally.

From that, we can probably walk you through how to restore it.