PDA

View Full Version : Brand spanking new D&D player

posercorpse
March 8th, 2020, 20:16
Hi all,

So I've never played D&D before (ever) though I do play World of Warcraft and have done for 10 years or so, on and off, so I guess that could help somewhat with knowing certain roles, classes, attributes etc?

Anyway, myself and my partner (31 and 26, respectively) are looking to get into playing D&D, both online and also locally when we get the hang of it more.
I also introduced her to WoW and so she has a basic understanding of the above, though is still learning.

We both live in Bangkok, she's Thai and I'm a British expat here. My problem is that I work irregular shifts on irregular days. Either 7am-4pm, 2pm-11pm or the graveyard - 10:30pm-7:30am.
As this makes me somewhat unreliable I guess this narrows my options for groups.

Would love to start playing, don't know what rule set nor the differences, but will start trying to gain an understanding. I suppose 5th edition is most popular, being newest?

tl;dr - never played, want to play, unreliable schedule.

Cheers

Zomnivore
March 9th, 2020, 05:07
For you I think you should look into fantasy grounds college, they do introductory games perfect for your first timers.

wanderingHP
March 9th, 2020, 05:35
For you I think you should look into fantasy grounds college, they do introductory games perfect for your first timers.

Where are those games? I see "classes" to introduce people to the FG system, but I see no "completely new to D&D GAMES" listed.
I'm in the same boat at the OP. I know the jist of D&D, understand the mechanics (more or less), but have never played a game before.
Where can someone like me find a TRUE "first game" (and obviously other people who are at least semi-patient with us)?

spoofer
March 9th, 2020, 10:33
Hi,

My group meets Sunday evenings from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. GMT+7 (your time zone). We are looking for players. Unfortunately, we are not playing Dungeons and Dragons. We are currently taking a break from D&D, though I am sure that we will return to 5th edition at some point. We are playing Dungeon World. We just switched from D&D to Dungeon World yesterday, and everything is still very new for all of us. If you want to play DW then we would love to have you.

Kevin

GunnarGreybeard
March 9th, 2020, 22:14
We both live in Bangkok, she's Thai and I'm a British expat here. My problem is that I work irregular shifts on irregular days. Either 7am-4pm, 2pm-11pm or the graveyard - 10:30pm-7:30am.
As this makes me somewhat unreliable I guess this narrows my options for groups.

You might want to post your actual time zone to make it easier for potential GM's to see if might you fit their schedule.

Laerun
March 12th, 2020, 02:18
The 'games' listed between classes are generally one shot sessions, in which are scheduled occasionally by our faculty to give new members a chance to experience a game. Fantasy Grounds can be a bit odd at first. Keep an eye on the calendar if you can and some of said games will pop up every now and again.

DealBreaker
March 12th, 2020, 03:41
If you have such an irregular schedule, your best bet may actually be to look in the one-shots section of the forum. *Most* of the games advertised here are on a set schedule (e.g., 7pm GMT every Thursday) and one thing you will find (if you haven't already) is that players (and DMs) can be quite flakey online, especially when games or group members are not consistent.