PDA

View Full Version : Increase font size?

Burbage
March 7th, 2020, 22:27
For those of us who are veterans of the original 70s RPG craze, is there any way to make the text bigger in the FG application? My eyes are not what they used to be...

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2020, 22:49
Try this extension https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25600-Using-FG-at-the-tabletop&p=227962&viewfull=1#post227962

There's a couple of others as well if that one doesn't work for you.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?35568-Another-14-pt-font-extension

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2020, 23:41
You can also use the /scaleui command to make the whole screen smaller/bigger. You can use any value from 50 to 200 (50% to 200%). If you use, try bumping in 20% increments so it doesn't get too small/big.

Regards,
JPG

Burbage
March 7th, 2020, 23:59
Thanks all. Big fonts is an improvement. Seems odd not to have a scaler for text. Can't enlarge all, since I run out of real estate. Tried that natively in Win10 anyway. Made text readable, but no space for anything else. Text needs to be bigger in the same sized window.

Moon Wizard
March 8th, 2020, 00:07
You can’t scale text in place without scaling other elements without creating problems with all the sheets and fields which are fixed size. You would get lots of text overlapping and clipping.

JPG

s3sisco
April 18th, 2020, 10:13
I downloaded the bigfonts.ext and it didn't really help. The buttons and font are still tiny.

The small font size makes FGU practically unusable. Any advice would be appreciated.

Griogre
April 18th, 2020, 12:32
If the buttons are still unreadable with bigfonts, you are going to have to use /scaleui because you are on a big monitor or in a high resolution.

Old Man Dice
May 5th, 2020, 21:38
I've been using bigger fonts in Classic for a couple of years and it's really helpful. When I load Unity, however, I no longer have access to the big font extension. Is there a unity version available?

damned
May 6th, 2020, 01:38
You have to copy the extensions to your Unity data folder.

Old Man Dice
May 7th, 2020, 03:11
Thanks, Damned. The Big Fonts extension worked in Unity, but produced a number of errors. The 14 point and 11 point extensions did not work. Not sure if that's because my machine is a Mac. The unity team has a lot going on, but I have error logs for all three loads if you think they would be helpful.

LordEntrails
May 7th, 2020, 04:34
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about juggling or fixing font related extensions for FGU. The devs are continuing to make font changes so any work don on font related extensions in FGU are likely to be broken until font optimization settles down.

Gixxer1st
September 22nd, 2020, 17:10
I just downloaded FGU Ultimate version, changed the UI to 70%. I love that I have more space, but the fonts are too small. I downloaded the BigFonts extension and put it in the "extensions" folder and nothing happened. Is there supposed to be "data" folder because I can't seem to find one.

Thanks

You have to copy the extensions to your Unity data folder.

LordEntrails
September 22nd, 2020, 17:16
I just downloaded FGU Ultimate version, changed the UI to 70%. I love that I have more space, but the fonts are too small. I downloaded the BigFonts extension and put it in the "extensions" folder and nothing happened. Is there supposed to be "data" folder because I can't seem to find one.

Thanks
The FG Data folder is the folder that opens when from the FG launch screen you click the folder icon. Inside of there is a folder called "extensions". Place your extensions in there and activate it before launching your campaign (from the extensions list).

Note that not all font extensions work in FGU because the font engine was re-written for FGU. Not sure Big Fonts works.

Gixxer1st
September 22nd, 2020, 17:37
The FG Data folder is the folder that opens when from the FG launch screen you click the folder icon. Inside of there is a folder called "extensions". Place your extensions in there and activate it before launching your campaign (from the extensions list).

Note that not all font extensions work in FGU because the font engine was re-written for FGU. Not sure Big Fonts works.

Thanks for the quick reply. I feel like I'm really missing something, I've placed the extension in the proper folder but don't know what it means to "activate" it? Does it automatically activate? Is there a button or commands I need to do? What do you mean by "extensions list", the files in the folder called "EXTENSIONS"? Thanks for your help.

Trenloe
September 22nd, 2020, 17:40
Thanks for the quick reply. I feel like I'm really missing something, I've placed the extension in the proper folder but don't know what it means to "activate" it? Does it automatically activate? Is there a button or commands I need to do? What do you mean by "extensions list", the files in the folder called "EXTENSIONS"? Thanks for your help.
See the "Extensions" info in step #2 here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/655414/Hosting+a+Game

Gixxer1st
September 22nd, 2020, 17:50
See the "Extensions" info in step #2 here: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/655414/Hosting+a+Game

Thank you very much!

ZoranDob
November 18th, 2020, 01:13
When using the Big Font extension, does that also change the clients views as well? I only want to change mine (host) and leave the clients on the original settings. Thanks.

LordEntrails
November 18th, 2020, 02:59
When using the Big Font extension, does that also change the clients views as well? I only want to change mine (host) and leave the clients on the original settings. Thanks.
Extensions change the code for everyone. Unless that extension has gone through and changed the fonts for the Host to be different than the Client (which I'm not sure is possible), then yes, the extension will change the font sizes for everyone. Instead use the scaleui command in setting or via the chat line command.

ZoranDob
November 18th, 2020, 03:24
Thanks for the info

J03
January 2nd, 2021, 19:52
Big Fonts is a lifesaver, thank you. I'm almost as old as Old Man Dice and the tiny text was going to be a dealbreaker for me.

damned
January 2nd, 2021, 23:48
Big Fonts is a lifesaver, thank you. I'm almost as old as Old Man Dice and the tiny text was going to be a dealbreaker for me.

You might have more success with the chat command: /scaleui 125 or /scaleui 150 if everything is too small.

jimweaver
March 11th, 2021, 03:51
Did something happen with fonts in FG Unity recently? I last ran it about three or four months ago, and it was fine. I launched it for the first time today since then, and from the campaign create / load window onward it was microscopic. I could barely manage to see the text box to type "/scaleui 200" and even after doing that, I would consider it barely acceptable in terms of font size. What happened ;-)? Whey can we not just manage this with Fantasy Grounds -> Preferences pull down menu item like every other application in the world? OK that last question was rhetorical. My real question is just - did anyone else have a sudden change recently with fonts going sized for thumb-sized people?

LordEntrails
March 11th, 2021, 04:21
Did something happen with fonts in FG Unity recently? I last ran it about three or four months ago, and it was fine. I launched it for the first time today since then, and from the campaign create / load window onward it was microscopic. I could barely manage to see the text box to type "/scaleui 200" and even after doing that, I would consider it barely acceptable in terms of font size. What happened ;-)? Whey can we not just manage this with Fantasy Grounds -> Preferences pull down menu item like every other application in the world? OK that last question was rhetorical. My real question is just - did anyone else have a sudden change recently with fonts going sized for thumb-sized people?
Months ago their was a change in the Mac client for support of Retina displays. Is that recent? You can up the scaleui to I think 400 now on Macs. There are also application scaling that you can do, but the commands depend upon your o/s, and I'm not Mac proficient.

jimweaver
March 11th, 2021, 04:24
Ha - yes, thanks! I found the appropriate forum to post. And yep it had been several months since I last launched. I was like, WTH happened? Did they make a change or am I suddenly going blind?? ;-)

Moon Wizard
March 11th, 2021, 18:36
We enabled Retina support within the Unity build. When first launching, it will attempt to determine a good size on a new install; but existing installations will have already been "fixed" at the original size (which could have been before the Retina support update).

Regards,
JPG

jimweaver
March 11th, 2021, 18:56
We enabled Retina support within the Unity build. When first launching, it will attempt to determine a good size on a new install; but existing installations will have already been "fixed" at the original size (which could have been before the Retina support update).

Regards,
JPG

Got it - so really what I experienced was just a timing issue. if I do a fresh install on my Powerbook and see anything weird, I'll yell back.

Nylanfs
March 15th, 2021, 17:12
Note: That doesn't mean your NOT going blind... :D

Lady Archer
July 5th, 2021, 14:34
Hi There!

It's been over 6 months since FGU was released as a replacement for FGC. Are there any updated extensions to increase font size for FGU? Note, I play on a Microsoft Surface Tablet so increasing the scale is not helpful as the chat & story notes boxes would take up 2/3 of the screen space. I greatly appreciate anyone's help who responds!

Lady Archer

Moon Wizard
July 5th, 2021, 17:49
This thread is in the FG Classic support channel. Also, the ruleset windows are designed for a specific font size as part of their design; so increasing the UI scale allows the windows and fields to be scaled to match the fonts so they still look right.

If you use an extension which only increases font size, then the fonts will begin overrunning field boundaries and/or clipping. There are a few extensions on the forums that have done that, with the expected issues.

You might try smaller UI scale options. The scale ranges from 50% to 200%.

Regards,
JPG

Stone804
July 8th, 2021, 17:40
This thread is in the FG Classic support channel. Also, the ruleset windows are designed for a specific font size as part of their design; so increasing the UI scale allows the windows and fields to be scaled to match the fonts so they still look right.

If you use an extension which only increases font size, then the fonts will begin overrunning field boundaries and/or clipping. There are a few extensions on the forums that have done that, with the expected issues.

You might try smaller UI scale options. The scale ranges from 50% to 200%.

Regards,
JPG

Would it be possible to implement this as a feature with the warning that there may be overlap? Trying to find the right extension etc that works with the program without errors is frankly exhausting and tedious. The big fonts used to work and now creates errors. It doesn't SEEM to actually affect anything, but as a DM I don't want to have an issue that I'm unaware of and errors are always "scary".

No other application I've ever used has been unreadable or had font issues except this one. I know you say that it's impossible except other programs the boxes simply scale (usually vertically) with the text. There's enough users complaining about this and trying to find a solution that I hope you're actually working on a fix/solution. As more and more screens are made similar to "retina", this will become an issue for more and more people. I can hardly even roll for example sleight of hand, because I can't click the right box because it's all packed together, yet if I scale the UI up any more I have no real-estate to do anything.

Obviously part of this is just how involved D&D is, we are GRATEFUL this program exists especially the last year in isolation, but it would be nice if everything fit and were also readable.

PS can you make the player tabs move-able? Would love to move the 'Actions' tab closer to the top near 'skills' since those are used more than 'log' or 'notes'. This is all about customizable preferences for usability. It would also help if like in photoshop you could link boxes together so they would attach and detach from each other and expand and collapse, maps should also be able to be collapsed to just the heading etc. not sure if that made sense. Ok now I'm on a tangent, thanks for listening.

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2021, 18:02
Feature requests should be added to the Wish List; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Note that finding extensions should become easier shortly as SmiteWorks is working on a enhancement called the Forge that will allow extensions to be centralized.
Expect it in the near future.

Stone804
July 8th, 2021, 19:40
Feature requests should be added to the Wish List; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/

Note that finding extensions should become easier shortly as SmiteWorks is working on a enhancement called the Forge that will allow extensions to be centralized.
Expect it in the near future.

Awesome THANK YOU!

Willot
July 9th, 2021, 10:49
Hi There!

It's been over 6 months since FGU was released as a replacement for FGC. Are there any updated extensions to increase font size for FGU? Note, I play on a Microsoft Surface Tablet so increasing the scale is not helpful as the chat & story notes boxes would take up 2/3 of the screen space. I greatly appreciate anyone's help who responds!

Lady Archer

I Did this extension a WHILE back It MAY still work???
Merriweather Larger (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mwm1BmiK9HavRDY8YclL4acb1UXHfsiL/view?usp=sharing)

Stone804
July 9th, 2021, 17:20
I Did this extension a WHILE back It MAY still work???
Merriweather Larger (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mwm1BmiK9HavRDY8YclL4acb1UXHfsiL/view?usp=sharing)

OH WOW, this is GREAT!!! thank you! much better!

Laerun
July 12th, 2021, 00:58
If you need some smaller incremental fonts to see 'a little' bit larger...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57197-Fonts-from-Google-Fonts/page3 (Look for Both Classic & Unity versions)
Try to use the more powerful Google to look through these forums, I used search terms "FG Fonts+Fantasy Grounds Forums" to find the link above.

Scaling your FG desktop has a trade off. You either get more visibility and less desktop space, or more desktop space but smaller text. Your physical screen-size is also a consideration, if you have a 15-117' screen, it is difficult to compensate for anything in regards to viewing space and visibility anyways. If you wear prescription glasses, that sometimes helps too, depending.

Just remember that most window fields do not scale dynamically vertically in smaller text windows, like character sheets, maybe horizontally. If your fonts are too large, they characters start to get cut off from the top or bottom of a given field.

Good luck.
Laerun

Laerun
July 12th, 2021, 01:05
Hi There!

Lady Archer

10.60-12" inches
Microsoft Surface Pro Summary
The tablet comes with a 10.60-inch display with a resolution of 1366x768 pixels at a pixel density of 148 pixels per inch (ppi).

That is not going to work too well for visibility and perhaps for other technical reasons.. There is NOTHING that says do not use a tablet or smaller than a 15" screen, but the Surface screen space is probably not the design intent using FGU on or for smaller mobile devices.

The latest versions come close to the specs needed, but this is nearly a $3,000 dollar tablet and still nothing over 15" for viewing area, and this is designed for more for mobility sake.:
Surface Book 3 - 15 inch, Intel core i7, 32GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce
The most powerful Surface laptop yet combines speed, graphics, and immersive gaming with the versatility of a laptop, tablet, and portable studio. Available in 13.5” or 15” sizes, both with a high-resolution touchscreen.

Here are the Fantasy Grounds Unity System Requirements (Minimum)
CPU SPEED: 1.6 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: Graphics card with DX10 (Shader Model 4.0) capabilities and a minimum of 2 GB of graphics memory
PIXEL SHADER: 4.0
VERTEX SHADER: 4.0
FREE DISK SPACE: 200 MB
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2 GB

Fantasy Grounds Unity Recommended Requirements
CPU SPEED: 2.0 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
VIDEO CARD: Graphics card with DX10 (Shader Model 4.0) capabilities and a minimum of 3 GB of graphics memory
PIXEL SHADER: 4.0
VERTEX SHADER: 4.0
FREE DISK SPACE: 2 GB
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 3 GB

I'd personally try to use a screen that is at least 17". Smaller than that and you are already limited and fighting to see anything...

Stone804
July 12th, 2021, 04:59
If you need some smaller incremental fonts to see 'a little' bit larger...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57197-Fonts-from-Google-Fonts/page3 (Look for Both Classic & Unity versions)
Try to use the more powerful Google to look through these forums, I used search terms "FG Fonts+Fantasy Grounds Forums" to find the link above.

Scaling your FG desktop has a trade off. You either get more visibility and less desktop space, or more desktop space but smaller text. Your physical screen-size is also a consideration, if you have a 15-117' screen, it is difficult to compensate for anything in regards to viewing space and visibility anyways. If you wear prescription glasses, that sometimes helps too, depending.

Just remember that most window fields do not scale dynamically vertically in smaller text windows, like character sheets, maybe horizontally. If your fonts are too large, they characters start to get cut off from the top or bottom of a given field.

Good luck.
Laerun

Thanks,

The Merriweather Larger font extension above seems like the best one so far, the only thing I don’t like is the green color of certain boxes, it doesn’t work as well with the darker themes. I’m sure there’s some text I could edit probably to change the font color, but I don’t want to mess with it. Still, I’m very glad it exists. And the font itself and the size seems much much better.

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2021, 05:36
Thanks,

The Merriweather Larger font extension above seems like the best one so far, the only thing I don’t like is the green color of certain boxes, it doesn’t work as well with the darker themes. I’m sure there’s some text I could edit probably to change the font color, but I don’t want to mess with it. Still, I’m very glad it exists. And the font itself and the size seems much much better.
Make a copy of the extension. rename to .zip, unzip, open the files and investigate :)

Stone804
July 12th, 2021, 16:28
Make a copy of the extension. rename to .zip, unzip, open the files and investigate :)

Yup! I tried that in another one earlier (to increase the size even larger than it had been made to do) and any changes I made “broke” the functionality and it stopped working. But I’ll do it with this one and maybe the code is better or something and it will work.

LordEntrails
July 12th, 2021, 16:53
Yup! I tried that in another one earlier (to increase the size even larger than it had been made to do) and any changes I made “broke” the functionality and it stopped working. But I’ll do it with this one and maybe the code is better or something and it will work.
If you run into errors, you can always start a thread in the Workshop and post your code and errors. Someone over there can probably help you resolve :)

Stone804
July 12th, 2021, 22:03
Thanks, it's more that FG just doesn't recognize the extension once I do any kind of thing to it. I followed the instructions which is changing the ext file to a zip, opening the zip, making the change, then re-compressing it, and then changing the zip to ext, but then it doesn't recognize the extension. So I'm probably doing something wrong, or opening and editing the file as a text file isn't the right procedure. I haven't done code since HTML pre-java so I'm just probably not converting the proper way. Any suggestions would be welcome. Like I can find the color code in the text code, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.

EDIT - Never mind, I was compressing the containing folder instead of compressing the contents, so it wasn't calling to the right places, yay! This is great!

Willot
July 14th, 2021, 11:54
Cool! ya worked it out (have fun!)
Here is the original with blue abilities and I up'ed the font text size a bit in places too
Larger Merriweather Font (blue) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bMNtp5cWH5KyFWS5-73lzyRVcGO0YAL3/view?usp=sharing)

CHALLENGE TWO!

Theme (Pathfinder) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ETdEBLTSXWun60pGXAi7In3WlLsoTMSG/view?usp=sharing)

The art is all copyright so I cant give anyone it, you just have to work it out ya self, but fonts is a good start (also I believe the way buttons work has changed since I did this)

Nylanfs
July 14th, 2021, 19:05
Watch out, that's a slippery slope there...

Nylanfs
July 14th, 2021, 19:07
Are those all using the Community Use Package (https://paizo.com/community/communityuse/package) images? If so you could release it using the Community Use Policy (https://paizo.com/community/communityuse) and be fine.

Willot
July 15th, 2021, 05:03
Are those all using the Community Use Package (https://paizo.com/community/communityuse/package) images? If so you could release it using the Community Use Policy (https://paizo.com/community/communityuse) and be fine.

Honesty I made it sooo long ago I cant remember. I think most of the icons are; the modified picture in the centre would not be.

BattleBrisket
September 5th, 2021, 00:17
Window Magnifier , I also have poor eyesight and the pretty 4k screen have become good with Windows Magnifier

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-7-magnifier-tips-tricks#:~:text=To%20run%20the%20Magnifier%2C%20typ e%20%E2%80%98%20magnifier%20%E2%80%98,You%20will%2 0see%20it%20appear%20on%20your%20desktop.