PDA

View Full Version : Making a Die that rolls 0 or 1, or 0, 1 or 2

Icy
March 7th, 2020, 17:49
Hi, complete idiot here when it comes to coding and extensions. Help would be greatly appreciated. IDIOT's GUIDE type help. The goal is to actually have a usable die or dice that appear, can be dragged into a weapon or item etc. without having to type or do it all manually. Maybe this has been done over and over and I don't realize where, or maybe it can't be done. Thank you in advance. Also, I am aware of the custom dice attached to the d6 in 5e, and I utilize the d2 and 3 a lot. Not exactly sure what the D0 is for as it only rolls a 0? again, likely idiot here.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2020, 18:11
I think it might help if you explained a little more about what you want to do. Like where does this dice appear from? What's the scenario that you are thinking of?

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2020, 18:18
Could you just roll d2-1 or d3-1?

JPG

Icy
March 7th, 2020, 18:25
I am as an example trying to create a magic weapon that only works sometimes, so randomly applies a +1 to hit, other times it does not. I don't think this can be done in the actual weapon, but if a die existed it could be done as an effect. And I tried d2-1, but it doesn't roll 0, just 1, unless I am missing something. thanks.

Icy
March 7th, 2020, 18:40
I was able to accomplish what I desired through an effect chain, however, to the underlying inquiry - is it possible to attach a zero to a die, as a possible damage, attack, save or check roll result; or would that have to be done through recoding in the data of the fantasy ground system I'm currently using. If the latter, is there reference material on how to do this correctly?

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2020, 20:01
You would have to use an extension to code a brand new die asset to be used, and tell it which die model to use and provide a script for how to interpret the roll.

I'm still not sure why you can't add a d2-1 directly to the weapon entry on the PC sheet, or set up an effect like "DMG: d2-1".

Both of those options seem to work for me. The standard "Battleaxe" damage was rolled with effect "DMG: d2-1"; and the "Another Battleaxe" was rolled with the d2 and -1 added directly to base damage for weapon.

Regards,
JPG

Kelrugem
March 7th, 2020, 20:30
You would have to use an extension to code a brand new die asset to be used, and tell it which die model to use and provide a script for how to interpret the roll.

I'm still not sure why you can't add a d2-1 directly to the weapon entry on the PC sheet, or set up an effect like "DMG: d2-1".

Both of those options seem to work for me. The standard "Battleaxe" damage was rolled with effect "DMG: d2-1"; and the "Another Battleaxe" was rolled with the d2 and -1 added directly to base damage for weapon.

Regards,
JPG

Is there in 5e some minimum value for the rolled value of the damage die like in 3.5e? I.e. something like the damage rolled is always at least 1? (effects like RESIST etc. can reduce it to zero though, I am just speaking about the pure roll rolled :) ) Then that is probably what Icy observed because Icy probably just tested only the d2-1 without the original damage die of the weapon. (Because Icy wrote that 0 was never rolled)

But when it is always an additional die to an existing one then it should normally not be a problem because then the minimum of the total value rolled can not be zero (without additional rules about minimum values) except when the strength modifier is negative

EDIT: A minimum damage in 5e is 0. So disregard this post when it is about 5e :D (probably one could extend my following argument also to this value, but not important :) )

(e.g.: Let's say we have an original die of d8-2 and want to add d2-1 then FG would collect the modifiers to -3 (in total d8+d2-3). When then the outcome of the d8 is 1 and the outcome of d2 is 2, then one would say that the additional modifier by the d2-1 is 1 while the damage of only the weapon without this additional die is 1 (d8=1 and then - 2 but minimum damage of 1 when such a thing exists in 5e). Thence we would expect a total of 2 damage points. But FG treats it probably as (d8=1)+(d2=2)-3 which results again into the minimum damage modifier of 1 which is different than the expected result. But that is only an edge case arising with negative strength modifiers in the damage die which collide with this minimal value condition :) Can't test that right now)