PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody been able to host a game with FG Unity on a Mac?

sthibault
March 7th, 2020, 12:18
Running Mac OS 10.15.3
I've been struggling with no luck. The latest try...

I downloaded the march 3rd Mac installer posted in the forums.

Ran that, it removed my older FG Unity install.

Ran FG Unity after the install, and clicked on update. Seemed to complete fine.

Launched FGU. Clicked on Host, clicked on LAN, entered a DM name "Steve" and port "1802" and Clicked start. I then waited for FGU to launch to the normal GM UI...

Tried to connect from other systems with a similar setup. They all said "Attempting direct connecting to server. [server IP address:1802] but never were able to connect.

After a suggestion from a moderator in another thread, I verified that my firewall is off, and ran a port scanner. The port scanner shows nothing listening on port 1802. I've tried a number of things to assure my DM Host Mac can connecting to the network. Outbound web pages work, and I even setup a local web server and was able to connect to it and verify by the same port scanner that the web port is open for that app, I even tried some custom ports for this web server, and I could reach them from other computers on my local. So my system is capable of accepting connections in my local network, but I can't seem to get FGU to accept connections, or it seems even listen for connections, since the port scanner shows no open ports when FGU is running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sthibault
March 7th, 2020, 14:21
Do I need to enter a license key to host a game in fantasy grounds unity? I have a license from steam, which is sync'd with my account, and it works with FG classic. But I haven't entered a license key into FG Unity, I've just logged into it with my account. Is a key required to host a game as a GM?

damned
March 7th, 2020, 14:34
Do I need to enter a license key to host a game in fantasy grounds unity? I have a license from steam, which is sync'd with my account, and it works with FG classic. But I haven't entered a license key into FG Unity, I've just logged into it with my account. Is a key required to host a game as a GM?

Im pretty sure that while the system is in beta that you need a key to host a game.

sthibault
March 7th, 2020, 14:43
So I got an ultimate license monthly, entered it in the FGU settings, and it tells me invalid key. Where does a FG Unity license key come from?

Ulric
March 7th, 2020, 14:45
I have run FGU Starfinder using 100% Mac computers without any problems. My GM Mac has my FGU Ultimate License and the player clients have the FGU free demo client.

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 14:46
FGC keys are not valid for FGU. FGU requires a FGU key to host a game. The only place you could have gotten an FGU key is during the kickstarter. If you did not back the kickstarter then you will have to wait for the public release.

sthibault
March 7th, 2020, 14:48
FGC keys are not valid for FGU. FGU requires a FGU key to host a game. The only place you could have gotten an FGU key is during the kickstarter. If you did not back the kickstarter then you will have to wait for the public release.

I just missed the kickstarter, and thought the public beta meant I would be able to join. That makes sense now. Thank you.

damned
March 7th, 2020, 15:03
I just missed the kickstarter, and thought the public beta meant I would be able to join. That makes sense now. Thank you.

At this stage you can only connect to a licensed host.

notrealdan
March 7th, 2020, 16:10

Hi, it’s not a public beta. It’s a closed beta for Kickstarter backers, though there is now a “demo” version for FGU Ultimate backers to use to allow non-licensed users to connect to a licensed host, similar to how it works in FGC. It still requires a valid license to host. If your GM has an FGU Ultimate license, you should be able to join their game with the copy you have installed.

Just FYI, keep in mind that it is very much a beta, so it *does* have bugs, some likely to be game-breaking, and use is subject to an agreement with Smiteworks.

More info here, including the playtest agreement:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50373-FGU-Playtest-Overview-and-Download

Virtual
April 13th, 2020, 01:49
First post so I know nothing.

I have a mac running 10.15

Unity will be the best choice for me.

Any idea when I would be able to run a game... get a key.... again.. I don't know a darn thing :)

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 02:19
First post so I know nothing.

I have a mac running 10.15

Unity will be the best choice for me.

Any idea when I would be able to run a game... get a key.... again.. I don't know a darn thing :)
You should be able to run a game now. Their was an update on April 4th that fixed most (all?) known network issues including this one.

damned
April 13th, 2020, 02:21
Welcome Virtual

You can buy Unity now here on the store and run games on Mac OS Catalina.