PDA

View Full Version : creating module: doesn't seem to export "notes" -- is this correct?

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 02:02
just finished creating contents and then exported fresh module.

after /reload and loaded new module, notes that were added as links don't seem to have exported with module. is this correct?

bummer if they don't {:-[

mattekure
March 7th, 2020, 02:10
notes are not exportable. For an exported module, always use story entries

mattekure
March 7th, 2020, 02:11
Notes are really intended to be created by and used by players.

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 02:15
ouch.

did not know. created a load of notes as links.

thx

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 03:36
dang it! and pins don't export either?!

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 03:39
oh man... this is a mess. is there a post of q/a as to what *would* export?

my links to bestiaries need them to be loaded :-P

can i export a module without dependents? do i have to created dupe creatures in order to export them independent from bestiaries?

(edit) maybe i unloaded everything before exporting -- is that why creatures aren't referenced and exported?

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 03:54
The only thing that doesn't export is notes. Pins to anything else should have exported, assuming you selected the object type to export. See the link in my signature for some best practices.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2020, 10:30
dang it! and pins don't export either?!

Yes they do, as long as you export the image to which they are attached.

oh man... this is a mess. is there a post of q/a as to what *would* export?

my links to bestiaries need them to be loaded :-P

can i export a module without dependents? do i have to created dupe creatures in order to export them independent from bestiaries?

(edit) maybe i unloaded everything before exporting -- is that why creatures aren't referenced and exported?

If you create a link in a story or whatever to an NPC or anything else that exists in a module - that is, it doesn't exist in the campaign you are exporting from; then when you open the exported module in another campaign you will also need the modules that you linked to open as well. When you export only those things which exist in the campaign get exported. So if you create an NPC in the campaign that will get exported but data which exists only in a module open in the campaign won't get exported.

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 13:18
Yes they do, as long as you export the image to which they are attached.

i had pins of images as well as stories on map as events / descriptions in specific locations. and they didn't export. have to do more test exports to verify... :-P

also, from @lordentrails best practices, it seems basically i would need to create an instance of everything (a copy of items for parcels or npcs for encounters, etc) when preparing a module. this would allow new module and its contents to exist independently, i.e. without having the need for bestiaries or other dependent modules to be loaded.

thanks both.

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 14:45
ok... pins still not exporting. here are my steps:

- open map
- place pins (that are links to story entries)
- place map image with pins into a new story entry
- export

what am i missing?

(update) poked around in forum and found a post with same problem (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46352-Exporting-Query&highlight=pins+export); said to export with "read only" off and with no extensions.
tried both of these and still no pins exported

(update) success!
- enhanced image extension might have something to do with this issue
- tried without this (or any) extension loaded: no pins exported (still no answer why not)
- tried with this (and all) extensions loaded: success; however, the pins need to be placed on the bottom-most "background" layer

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2020, 17:22
Yes, if you are using any of the layers extensions you need to be careful what you are doing. And I think also you would need the extension loaded in both your creation and working campaigns. Although I'm shooting in the dark here since I don't have any direct experience with such extensions.

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2020, 18:22
I recommend not using any extensions when exporting. It just creates possible complications. Save extensions for when you are playing only.

Regards,
JPG

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 18:39
thx all.

an unrelated question: i just noticed a map function (via extension, i think) that was really helpful is no longer showing on my maps: it's the one where you click icons to (de)select all friendlies or foes? what is the extension called? i am wondering why it's not there anymore, whether i removed it because it didn't work with update 3.3.10.

thx

Kelrugem
March 7th, 2020, 18:48
thx all.

an unrelated question: i just noticed a map function (via extension, i think) that was really helpful is no longer showing on my maps: it's the one where you click icons to (de)select all friendlies or foes? what is the extension called? i am wondering why it's not there anymore, whether i removed it because it didn't work with update 3.3.10.

thx

That's natively in FG :) But I just had a similar problem in a campaign without extensions; to fix that, add a token to the map and redo the grid and it should reappear :) But after reloading the campaign (or closing and opening the image) these buttons disappear again. Maybe a problem with 3.3.10? You might want to open a separate thread as a bug report

tahl_liadon
March 7th, 2020, 18:58
That's natively in FG... to fix that, add a token to the map and redo the grid and it should reappear

you're awesome! works again thx.

(phew! i was thinking someone would respond to my post saying something dire, like "no longer supported extension" or something X-D -- such an awesome encounters timesaver function!)