PDA

View Full Version : FGU Wishlist

CatDadCode
March 6th, 2020, 21:19
***Updated 3/26***

My group and I are already enjoying FGU! It seems to finally be to a point where it's quite usable. The only freezing issues we've had are while browsing the asset manager, so I try to get that out of the way early before I invite my players and then everything has worked fine. I figured I'd make a post with our compiled wishlist of items. I intend to keep editing and updating this post as we come up with more wants/needs going forward :)

Note: I know many of these are known issues. This is just a place for myself and my group to compile the things we care about most so far. Feel free to browse it and provide feedback if you choose but you guys are busy and it's not expected :) I just wanted to provide a peek into our experience for anyone interested.

Map Synchronization

FGC allowed me to go to the share menu and synchronize the players to my map view (position, zoom, etc.). Currently we work around this by unsharing and re-sharing the map, but it's a bit jarring because unsharing it closes the map for everyone and then it re-opens. Even cooler would be the ability to hit some sync lock button or something and have the map perspective synchronize in real-time between me and my players. While perspective is locked they would just always see what I see on a given map. But that's an unneeded extra. The minimum we need would just be a sync button like we had before.

Works now! Woohoo!

Mac updater opens behind other windows.

Very tiny issue, but two of our people use Macs and they both thought FGU crashed when they clicked "Check for Updates". Really the updater window just opened up behind their other open applications and they had to click the FGU icon on the dock to bring it to focus. I went to my Macbook to check and sure enough it did the same. Very minor, but very confusing for new peeps.

https://i.imgur.com/4ywdZ8a.gif

Eraser

The eraser tool in the painting tools is fine because I can adjust the size of the brush. However, the eraser in the basic drawing mode accessed through the right-click menu is pretty tedious as it only lets you erase tiny lines. We miss the old eraser tool where we could basically draw an area to be erased.

The normal draw eraser now has a wider radius which seems to help (though I still miss the old eraser), but now it's the GM brush eraser that doesn't seem to be working. When you first select the eraser tool it shows a little circle but once you click to erase it goes away and nothing is erased.

https://i.imgur.com/Q3THUd2.gif

Locking Tokens

I miss the ability to lock tokens. My players can't help themselves. They will draw everywhere on the maps and mess around with tokens without realizing how much it's throwing me off my DM game, lol. I can lock drawing down which is nice but I cannot lock tokens down yet. I believe this one is planned and not yet implemented so no biggie. Just tracking it here.

FX Layer

It seems odd that I have to manually add an FX layer to use effects. If I start drawing with the draw tools it will add drawing layers. Seems like the tool should auto-add an FX layer if there are none when I select an effect from the dropdown. Very minor issue but totally not intuitive at all. Had to search this forum and the wiki until I found a mention of the need to add the layer first.

https://i.imgur.com/bkrxvaP.gif

Clear Chat Context Menu

This one's not a big deal since there's a /clear command but I love the little radial menus in a pinch and boy is it hard to get the right context menu to pop up when the chat window is full of rolls. I have to click around the edges and stuff until I can finally get the menu to pop up with the option to clear chat. Just a little header bar on the chat window or something that always exposes that particular context menu when right-clicked would eliminate that frustration.

https://i.imgur.com/aXYiC67.gif

Note: This was an issue in FGC as well.

Ctrl + Mousewheel on combat tracker initiative field

This is minor once you train yourself to stop doing it, but I often adjust number fields by holding the CTRL key and scrolling the mouse wheel. This works great everywhere except for the initiative field in the combat tracker. The entities in the tracker are sorted by initiative so as soon as you start CTRL+scrolling it changes the sort and suddenly you're now CTRL-scrolling a different entity's initiative field. This cascades through the whole list very quickly. In one or two seconds you can completely screw up the initiative rolls for all entities in the tracker.

https://i.imgur.com/eUOgGUQ.gif

This could be solved by adding a delay to the re-sorting of the entities. Add like a 750 millisecond delay after the field is modified before triggering a sort and I believe that would prevent this issue. An easy alternative would be to just disable CTRL+scrolling for the init field altogether.

Note: This was an issue in FGC as well.

Color Palette

I absolutely hate the color palette tool. I would much prefer a standard color picker. This is a nitpick and I'll survive if it never changes, but yeah, it's a monstrosity.

Script error when rolling on tables

Console opens to reveal a script error whenever I roll on any tables in FGU. Though the roll does appear to succeed in spite of the error.

Script error when adding characters from other campaigns

This one half succeeds despite the error. The sheet seems filled out but the portrait and token do not propagate.

Appears to have been fixed :)

Languages are invisible while you type them.

On 5e character sheets if you go to add languages to the abilities tab the text is invisible while you're typing. You have to unfocus the field before the text appears.

Fixed!

5e Character Sheet intermittent layout issues

This bug manifests in a variety of ways. Two of them are the most frustrating. Twice now I've seen a character sheet's skill tab be completely invisible. i.e. I can't see any of the skills or their modifiers. The second version of the layout bug often ends up hiding the weapons on the actions tab. It's as though the weapons field is scrollable and is scrolled down so the weapons are scrolled up and hidden behind the weapons header. However it's not technically scrollable and so far the only way I know of to get it to show up is to restart the entire game.

Haven't seen this issue in a while. Going to assume it's fixed for now :)

Adding categories to the maps/images window is super janky

At first I thought clicking the plus button to add a category did nothing. Had to come to the forums before I found out that it adds a category called "Group 1" and you have to scroll through the existing categories to find it. The UX here could use some tweaking.

Still a bit janky with the way it refreshes the whole window but it does correctly scroll to the new field and place the cursor inside now.

FG has a steep learning curve

FG would GREATLY benefit from an interactive tutorial when you first load it. I have found myself putting together custom videos, screenshots, and even tutorial sessions with my players. An interactive tutorial would really show off just how fun and powerful FG is as an RPG tool. Show users how the combat tracker works, the party window, the chat, the shortcuts, the dice, the modifiers, the modifier stack (didn't even know that was a thing until I read the wiki), the syntax for effects, the character sheet, how to level up a character, etc. There's so much here that the learning curve becomes very steep and my players are continually surprised by things I show them. They didn't even know we could be using targets until recently. I also didn't even know I could drag the combat tracker faction icons onto the map to move a bunch of enemy tokens all at once. It's so nice!

Character Sheet Rewind

This one is a big ask and I understand it probably won't ever happen, but it's on the wishlist anyway. DnDBeyond has spoiled us. Being able to add class levels and pick abilities then change your mind and simply reduce the level and have the abilities and features just disappear with it is sooooo nice. In FG it's easier to start a sheet over completely than it is to try to identify what a new class level added to the sheet and remove it all. If we could make 5e character sheets work more similarly to dndbeyond we'd be over the moon!

Exit to Main Menu

Going between campaigns or tweaking the cloud entry for my server requires killing the game and coming back in. Would love an option to quit to the menu.

Preload Images

Some of my maps are big and in FGC there was the ability to force the images to pre-load onto player machines before I share it for the first time. Currently I have no choice but to share something for the first time and then have everyone wait until they can all see it.

That's all I got for now! Thanks so much for all your hard work, guys!

CatDadCode
March 6th, 2020, 21:42
***deleted in favor of editing original post with new items***

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2020, 21:46
As you say most of these are known items and are being tracked on the known issues thread.

There is a new character wizard being developed for 5e; the final form of it isn't ready for release yet.

For tutorials there's a list of them here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

CatDadCode
March 7th, 2020, 00:08
Yeah the forums and wiki are alright, but IMO there's no substitute for the power of an interactive in-game tutorial. I might be the type to read the entire wiki and scour this site for info, but I think this app would have far greater reach if the user had their hand held after initial install. All these roll20 vs FG threads are so heavily in favor of roll20 and most of the arguments are misinformed simply because only a handful of the people arguing even understand how much more FG is capable of. No offense to roll20 as their product is fine but FG is like roll20 on steroids and it can actually take advantage of your GPU now that it's built in a proper engine. I just want FG to succeed and I have this perception that it's kind of a hidden gem in the RPG community that wayyyy too often gets overlooked. There's nothing that even comes close to it in terms of completeness, but the learning curve seems to overwhelm a lot of people. The UX in FG is a tad unconventional. Where to find which context menus, how to toggle editable states, etc. is not bad by any means but it's not completely intuitive at first. I'd love to see this thing get what I like to call "kid polish". The most successful games always have it. Granted it doesn't need to be nearly as hand-holdy as a game actually made for kids, but just a quick interactive run-through of all that FG can do would really squash that learning curve without overwhelming the user or expecting them to seek out external resources. I have a fondness for FG because as a programmer the experience really feels like a program made by programmers rather than UX designers, which speaks to my soul to be honest, lol! But as a programmer I'm acutely aware of this fact and have learned to depend on my UX guys because they know how to make my apps usable and enjoyable for my grandma, not that my grandma would care about D&D but you get the idea XD

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 00:45
Want your hand held? Go take a free class at https://fantasygroundscollege.net/

CatDadCode
March 7th, 2020, 01:35
Hehe, I'm already there :D, very useful, but as I said I'm not the one who needs that. I'm talking at a higher level about something I think would greatly benefit FG in the long haul.

damned
March 7th, 2020, 01:51
Hey Chev

If you have time open the 5E Sample Campaign and run thru it and then think about what else could/should/would be good to have in there.
Send that feedback because that is something that could likely be achieved.

CatDadCode
March 7th, 2020, 01:59
Sure! I'd be happy to. I have gone through it a bit already but I'd be happy to give it a closer look and compile some feedback.

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 03:52
Note, I just re-read my earlier post, kinda sound now like I was being a @**. Not what I meant and hope no one took it that way.

CatDadCode
March 7th, 2020, 05:48
I was already half-expecting someone to make a snarky remark about wanting my hand held so I was predisposed to taking it that way, but you clarified and now I know. So no worries :D Thanks for all you guys do <3

Trenloe
March 7th, 2020, 07:15
An interactive demo is a good idea. It’s just very time consuming to make (especially with all the different rulesets) and then update with each new release. Hopefully SmiteWorks have some cool ideas for introducing users, both old and new, to Fantasy Grounds Unity.

CatDadCode
March 7th, 2020, 07:29
Yeah I totally understand. It would be an undertaking for sure but I can't help but feel like the return on that investment would be worth it. I hate to see good products be underappreciated. There's a game on Steam called Creativerse. It's great! It's Minecraft but way better in 100 different ways. But nobody knows about it. It's a perfect example of a great product that is just failing badly in the marketing department. FG is in a better spot because people are on the hunt for good RPG software and plenty of people know the name Fantasy Grounds. I just perceive a retention problem. All of this is very anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt of course.

When I first found FG a year ago I would have said the biggest issue was forcing users to have to deal with port forwarding, but now FGU solves that. The only big hurdle I see left if I'm putting myself in last years shoes is to squash that learning curve in an intuitive and simple way. Other than that I can't think of any other big problems that would prevent FGU from spreading like wildfire. It's a damn fine product and you devs are awesome!

Fable
March 7th, 2020, 12:16
Map Synchronization

FGC allowed me to go to the share menu and synchronize the players to my map view (position, zoom, etc.). Currently we work around this by unsharing and re-sharing the map, but it's a bit jarring because unsharing it closes the map for everyone and then it re-opens. Even cooler would be the ability to hit some sync lock button or something and have the map perspective synchronize in real-time between me and my players. While perspective is locked they would just always see what I see on a given map. But that's an unneeded extra. The minimum we need would just be a sync button like we had before.

I had to do some searching to find this item on someones thread but I would like to say this 100%. In addition to what is being said, sharing it, adding the tokens and then unshare/reshare removes all the tokens. This is done every time a user drops game. I had an issue last week where one player just was having issues. We figured out they could look it up, but I miss the Classic just Share it and it syncs with everyone. It was much easier and didn't slow down the action.

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 14:52
I was already half-expecting someone to make a snarky remark about wanting my hand held so I was predisposed to taking it that way, but you clarified and now I know. So no worries :D Thanks for all you guys do <3
Thanks, my wife keeps telling me I need to use more words. Bah humbug!

Let me re-emphasize, FGC is a pretty awesome group of folks. Of course they are pretty much the same folks as here, so it goes that the whole FG community is pretty good :) Anyway, with FGC they have classes, such as character creation, introduction, DM 101, etc that they do in different formats, the intro ones really are hand holding where they walk you through step by step how to do the basics. Most are 2 hours or less and they try to schedule them on all different days and times so people anywhere in the world can find a time that works. And when you can't, you can put in a request for a class and they will work hard to find an instructor to teach the class you want when you want it.

For a volunteer organization that provides free classes, it's pretty dope!

CatDadCode
March 26th, 2020, 18:19
I updated the original post here. Scratched off things that have been fixed. Updated a few to highlight the issue or any new issues I'm seeing. I also took the time to add some animated GIFs for the ones that could use a visual reference. I am going through the 5e sample campaign and have realized it's not updated for FGU at all; I'll try to compile some feedback for it when I get some time but yeah, pretty much the whole sample campaign needs a big update for FGU features.

pollux
March 27th, 2020, 00:32
FX Layer: It seems odd that I have to manually add an FX layer to use effects. If I start drawing with the draw tools it will add drawing layers. Seems like the tool should auto-add an FX layer if there are none when I select an effect from the dropdown. Very minor issue but totally not intuitive at all. Had to search this forum and the wiki until I found a mention of the need to add the layer first.

I'd hope they go the other way on this and not display the fx dropdown unless you're in an fx layer. So you ALWAYS have to add an fx layer in order to have the dropdown at all. If you auto-add layers, what happens if you:

Add an fx layer implicitly
Then unselect your new fx layer. Maybe you select a map layer to draw a new wall, maybe an LoS layer to add an occluder. Maybe you click to a story entry and the map doesn't remember what layer you were on when you came back.
You don't like this effect, you want to switch to the other water effect. You select it from the dropdown, which adds ANOTHER new fx layer. Now you're confused.

This is no better if you reuse one fx layer over and over either because it now becomes complicated to add a rain and a water effect simultaneously. If fx are layers, then you need to add an fx layer before you can add an effect... so don't display the dropdown until you have an fx layer selected. More generally, that area becomes a layer-specific options area so mousable/discoverable versions of LoS keyboard shortcuts could go there, etc.

LordEntrails
March 27th, 2020, 00:46
There is an official wishlist; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Threads in the forums are likely to get lost and their is no voting functionality.

MadScientist317
June 19th, 2020, 12:34
I have only been using FGU for a month or so and have found it incredibly useful/powerful. The one request I have at this point (and perhaps I just need guidance on how to make it happen) is for there to be some divide in the character sheet inventory for Magical vs Non-Magical equipment. Since FGU is to be used for different game types, if there were away to add your own categories to organize it would be great. As quick fix I have been writing "magical" in the location to find them. Adding a different color could be helpful as well (normal - black text, magical - blue text)

LordEntrails
June 19th, 2020, 17:20
I have only been using FGU for a month or so and have found it incredibly useful/powerful. The one request I have at this point (and perhaps I just need guidance on how to make it happen) is for there to be some divide in the character sheet inventory for Magical vs Non-Magical equipment. Since FGU is to be used for different game types, if there were away to add your own categories to organize it would be great. As quick fix I have been writing "magical" in the location to find them. Adding a different color could be helpful as well (normal - black text, magical - blue text)
Please see the post directly about yours.

bam
June 20th, 2020, 13:23
How about the ability to adjust font size? The font is rather small mattering on how you use the tool, particularly when using a laptop. A way to increase the font size would be really helpful, particularly in the books.

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2020, 17:49
Please post any feature requests on the official wishlist; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

If your feature request would benefit from a discussion in the forums, start a new thread in the appropriate forum. The appropriate forum is either the General forums or the one for the specific ruleset for your feature request.

MOD: closing this thread so people stop posting here and instead read the above statement.