PDA

View Full Version : Monster's Spell Casting ability modifier

Lord Stark
March 6th, 2020, 05:03
Some spells add ability modifier to damage rolls.

I cannot find anywhere what is the spell ability modifier for creatures in the Bestiary for the purpose of adding it to the damage rolls

I can see the magical Tradition but that is not necessarily connected to a specific ability modifier.

Example: the Kobold Dragon Mage is a Spontaneous Arcane caster

He can cast Electric Arc.

Do I add his Charisma modifier or his Intelligence modifier to the damage roll of Electric Arc? It does not say if this Kobold is an Intelligence or charisma based caster

Need Help !!

Trenloe
March 6th, 2020, 08:34
Even the creature building rules in the GMG don’t mention spell casting abilities (unless it’s hidden somewhere and I’ve missed it). And then the DCs and Attack bonuses listed in the GMG Table 2-11 don’t really match up with spell casting creature stats in the bestiary.

Unlike PF1, PF2 doesn’t have hard and fast rules for creature creation.

For me, I’d just eyeball the stats - the Kobold Dragon Mage has a spell DC of 20, they’re level 2, so I’d assume they’re probably expert proficiency (as they’re a mitey dragon mage!), so 2 + 4 + ability mod = 10. Charisma has an ability mod of +4, so this is the one I’d use for their spell casting ability. Just what I’d do, but this general approach seems to make sense in most of the spell casting statblocks in the Bestiary - but there will always be exceptions.

In the end go with what appears to make sense for you in your game.

Lord Stark
March 6th, 2020, 13:15
That makes sense, hopefully the developers clarify this in the future

Milke
March 8th, 2020, 19:58
"Mitey." I see what you did there, Trenloe.

That makes sense, hopefully the developers clarify this in the future

The Paizo devs did post creature building/converting rules for free online. They were taken from the new Gamemastery Guide for PF2.
Designing creatures (and converting them) is so much easier now. Because instead of juggling target numbers of hit dice, BAB, and other things, and then still trying to come out with overall stat target numbers... you just have final target numbers with Low to Extreme numbers based on what type of creature it is (An ogre will likely have low Will and high Fort, for example). And you don't have to justify the numbers or explain them, by citing source modifiers or anything. The creature gets that number because that's what you gave it.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2020, 22:02
"Mitey." I see what you did there, Trenloe.
Hahaha! I was wondering how many PF2 GMs would get the reference. :)

MaxAstro
March 12th, 2020, 15:49
Milke has the right idea here, although for cantrips specifically it's a little tricky since the official statblocks mostly don't provide cantrip damage.

You probably wouldn't go wrong just always using the creature's best mental attribute, though.

ShadeRaven
March 14th, 2020, 14:45
When creating my Bestiary to hold us over, I generally tried to stick to the Best Stat Available idea (as Max suggested). It's not officially correct, but seemed a good starting point to be certain. GMs can obviously adjust as they see fit based on actual gameplay dictates. :)