PDA

View Full Version : Unable to lock tokens

Copernicus219
March 6th, 2020, 01:35
Running Pathfinder 1e w/ Official Pathfinder theme

There is currently no lock function for tokens like there was for FGC. This was useful for measuring distances and keeping people from moving when they shouldn't (or from spinning tokens or making them gigantic because my players sometimes think that's funny, lol). Is this a bug or will it be added at some point?

Zacchaeus
March 6th, 2020, 01:42
It hasn’t been added yet.

Dr0W
March 6th, 2020, 13:37
I wonder if it will be implemented like fgc or if they will come up with a different solution for locking tokens. Because of Los, maybe a different system for counting steps would be better.

Either that or implement a way for me to slap my players who think spinning and resizing tokens is funny.

CatDadCode
March 6th, 2020, 21:45
lmao I have the same issue. There's always one or two players that think it's funny to draw dicks, spin/resize tokens, etc. Can't wait for the ability to lock tokens. There is the ability to lock the drawing layer, but there's currently a bug where if the player is already in drawing mode then it actually locks them into drawing mode; so not only can they continue drawing penises, but they can't exit drawing mode at all until you unlock it XD

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 00:53
What's funny is when you drop a red dragon on the map and start with breath weapon attack.

Copernicus219
March 7th, 2020, 12:39
What's funny is when you drop a red dragon on the map and start with breath weapon attack.

Are you saying you retaliate from them messing with tokens by throwing a red dragon on the board? If so, that's a great idea, haha.

LordEntrails
March 7th, 2020, 14:54
Are you saying you retaliate from them messing with tokens by throwing a red dragon on the board? If so, that's a great idea, haha.
Yes, that's pretty much what I would do. Never actually had players mess with the tokens more than learning what they can do. But yeah, wherever you are drop something big and scary into the CT and the map and give it a round or two of slaughter combat before it vanishes as an illusion from the god of Don't **** Around.

Copernicus219
March 7th, 2020, 15:10
Yes, that's pretty much what I would do. Never actually had players mess with the tokens more than learning what they can do. But yeah, wherever you are drop something big and scary into the CT and the map and give it a round or two of slaughter combat before it vanishes as an illusion from the god of Don't **** Around.

LMAO, I'll have to try that one.

DM Wyvern
May 4th, 2020, 02:00
Running Pathfinder 1e w/ Official Pathfinder theme

There is currently no lock function for tokens like there was for FGC. This was useful for measuring distances and keeping people from moving when they shouldn't (or from spinning tokens or making them gigantic because my players sometimes think that's funny, lol). Is this a bug or will it be added at some point?

Hi. First post on FG, proud of owner of a bucketload of AD&D FG products and loving this VTT. I would like to add here that I very much would like to see token locking implemented too - or at least an option to toggle FGC-like token locking, alongside whatever alternative the Smite team might be brewing up. ^_^

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2020, 06:58
Hi. First post on FG,
Welcome! Glad to have you with us :)

pollux
May 6th, 2020, 15:31
I wonder if it will be implemented like fgc or if they will come up with a different solution for locking tokens. Because of Los, maybe a different system for counting steps would be better.

I believe the dev team has commented in other threads that the reason token-locking isn't implemented is that they felt that it definitely did need adaptation to work in conjunction with LoS, so I'd expect variation from FGC.

Either that or implement a way for me to slap my players who think spinning and resizing tokens is funny.

Send all your players one of these and whip up an extension to control it remotely from a slash-command: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7akbIH-IsHA

WinterSoldier7
June 22nd, 2020, 18:25
Anyone know when this is going to be implemented? I spent ages setting up LoS and hidden enemies just for players to move their token around and reveal it all.

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2020, 18:42
No. But I don't think it's considered a feature that is required for full release. Meaning it will be some time until it is implemented.

My suggestion is if talking to your players and telling them not to do that doesn't work, their is a simple cure. Next time it happens and you notice, tell everyone to hold on. Then comment that they their actions have summoned the Dragon Lord of Nosy Players, then drop an ancient red dragon on the map where they revealed it and have them roll initiative. After the TPK, I bet they won't do that again :)

WinterSoldier7
June 22nd, 2020, 19:32
Haha, harsh.
Then again, if I could, I would have their mouses emit a little shock to their fingers every time they decided to spin their characters on the pot.

Modu
June 22nd, 2020, 20:21
No. But I don't think it's considered a feature that is required for full release. Meaning it will be some time until it is implemented.

The way the devs have prioritized features for Unity have pretty much forced me to stop using FG. It's because of decisions like these that I don't want to use FG any longer. I don't know who is prioritizing these features, but, it's pretty sad when you lose major features upgrading. We used Lock Tokens *every* session. I assume you guys actually use FG to run games, but, when you make decisions like this (and others), i start to wonder.

Also, when Smiteworks says it will be some time, I can only assume that means several years to get back a basic feature that was in Classic.

https://www.plan-nine.org/images/top2.jpg

After waiting 4 years for Unity, it was a huge let down. You had a chance to not only catch the competition but really put them behind you. Unfortunately, because people thought certain features weren't required for release, the release is actually pretty terrible.

LordEntrails
June 22nd, 2020, 20:48
The way the devs have prioritized features for Unity have pretty much forced me to stop using FG. It's because of decisions like these that I don't want to use FG any longer. I don't know who is prioritizing these features, but, it's pretty sad when you lose major features upgrading. We used Lock Tokens *every* session. I assume you guys actually use FG to run games, but, when you make decisions like this (and others), i start to wonder.
Note, I do not work for SmiteWorks. Nor do I do any contracting work for them converting official modules. I am a user like you.

These two items from the wish list that you are concerned about the devs have specifically addressed.

Unity does not support detached windows on multiple platforms like in the Gimp example. Therefore implementing such behavior is more than a significant challenge. They would like the capability themselves, and when someone develops a library for Unity that does this with stable cross platform support they will re-evaluate it.

Before you can get Dynamic Light sources, you need basic LOS. This too the devs intend to implement, but after they have the stable base upon which to build. Implementing features on top of a non-stable platform results in a less than desirable experience that works for some people and in some situations, but not others.

I too wish FGU was at a more capable place than it is. But it still does more than what I need it to do. But then I'm sure my preferences and requirements for a VTT are different than yours.

Modu
June 22nd, 2020, 21:32
Note, I do not work for SmiteWorks. Nor do I do any contracting work for them converting official modules. I am a user like you.

I too wish FGU was at a more capable place than it is. But it still does more than what I need it to do. But then I'm sure my preferences and requirements for a VTT are different than yours.

Apologies, realized after I typed that you do not work for them.

It's crazy to me that the #1 requested feature was basically ignored, making the vision update more or less worthless. Also we get no real timetable on when it will actually happen. I've actually stopped DM'ing currently because I wanted to run Dungeon of the Mad Mage with proper vision/lighting. I was a subscriber, kickstarted unity, but cancelled my subscription after Unity came out. I either have to find some competing software that does it right, or wait until FG can finally implement it. At this rate, however, it will be sometime during D&D 7th edition.

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2020, 21:57
I don't think it was ignored. After all the person who added dynamic lighting to the wish list is the Lead Developer and part owner of Smiteworks, Moon Wizard. So he wants it and if it isn't in there yet there are good reasons why it isn't there yet.

mdrichey
June 22nd, 2020, 22:07

On what do you base this statement?

Zacchaeus
June 22nd, 2020, 22:12
On what do you base this statement?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50483-FGU-Early-Access-Known-Differences-and-Is

Kelrugem
June 22nd, 2020, 22:19
Apologies, realized after I typed that you do not work for them.

It's crazy to me that the #1 requested feature was basically ignored, making the vision update more or less worthless. Also we get no real timetable on when it will actually happen. I've actually stopped DM'ing currently because I wanted to run Dungeon of the Mad Mage with proper vision/lighting. I was a subscriber, kickstarted unity, but cancelled my subscription after Unity came out. I either have to find some competing software that does it right, or wait until FG can finally implement it. At this rate, however, it will be sometime during D&D 7th edition.

As LordEntrails mentioned, for dynamic lighting you actually need automatic line of sight :) so, they are actually working towards that :) (and as Zacchaeus mentioned, the lead developer created that wish there :D)

Modu
June 23rd, 2020, 01:21
As LordEntrails mentioned, for dynamic lighting you actually need automatic line of sight :) so, they are actually working towards that :) (and as Zacchaeus mentioned, the lead developer created that wish there :D)

Him filing the wish just makes me think it really should have been there at release. :)

The wish has been there for a long time. Saying they are working on it is fairly meaningless at this point. They are pretty adamant about not promising anything, and I've worked in software development for a really long time, I can speculate on how long it's going to take.

I ran a few games of Unity where I just let people have unlimited vision range on the planet Perpetual Sunlight, and it was sooo refreshing not having to deal with the mask. Yet, it just doesn't work because I'm not sure what games you all are playing, but in my games it actually gets dark, and not everybody can see in the dark, let a lone for unlimited range.

Kelrugem
June 23rd, 2020, 01:36
Him filing the wish just makes me think it really should have been there at release. :)

The wish has been there for a long time. Saying they are working on it is fairly meaningless at this point. They are pretty adamant about not promising anything, and I've worked in software development for a really long time, I can speculate on how long it's going to take.

I ran a few games of Unity where I just let people have unlimited vision range on the planet Perpetual Sunlight, and it was sooo refreshing not having to deal with the mask. Yet, it just doesn't work because I'm not sure what games you all are playing, but in my games it actually gets dark, and not everybody can see in the dark, let a lone for unlimited range.

I certainly also want dynamic lighting, but there are also surely reasons why it takes longer :) That is basically what I like about FG development, it is maybe slower than some want but it is steady, things are only really released when they really work (of course, bugs can always happen). In my opinion the main time sink of FGU was first of all backwards compatibility, so they solve that first before adding dynamic lighting. Now it is about performance and networking, or more abstract: As long as it does not do what FGC already does they won't look at any new separate feature and that makes sense of course :) (though they probably already look at such things like dynamic lighting; I have already seen a circle underlay for tokens which may be used for light sources. Check the reach underlay while you have turned on a hex grid)

And dynamic lighting will surely be some of the first new features after release; basically everyone knows that this is one of the main advantages of other VTTs, so it makes sense to adapt that, also in sense of competition :)

YAKO SOMEDAKY
June 23rd, 2020, 01:51
I would not say only dynamic lighting, but spreadsheets similar to those present in books, a different way of making important dialogues, audio on the platform itself, the ability to customize the data, speed when connecting and opening things in games, animated spells, I know which are silly things, but it’s what attracts the public, especially those who are new and came from the generation of electronic games.
I believe that in the future and I hope that this future is not very far, FG will adapt, match up and do better than the others, so I can say Okay! It took but I love FG!

WinterSoldier7
June 23rd, 2020, 09:09
Where can I go to ensure I find out immediately when token locking is available?

Zacchaeus
June 23rd, 2020, 11:50
Where can I go to ensure I find out immediately when token locking is available?

It will be in the patch notes whenever it gets released. Those will generally appear as a beta first here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?55-The-Laboratory

This assumes the same pattern will be followed for updates to Unity as it is for Classic. Since this will be a new addition and it will only apply to Unity it remains to be seem how the devs will handle future Unity only updates as opposed to ruleset updates which of course will span both Unity and Classic.

Padre Moto
July 19th, 2020, 03:24
Hi, I think this is a related question.

I recently purchased Meanders Map Pack: Victorian Mansion Special Edition, and thought that the furniture tokens would be something I could add to the map layer in FGU. I've been able to do this with Torstan's Asset Pack tokens such as chairs, tables, benches and such.

When I add one of Torstan's tokens, I can manipulate it. It has various sizing options when you click on it.

However this doesn't happen with Meander's tokens.

Is this because Torstan's tokens have some built in feature that places them on the map layer, whereas Meander's do not?

I was hoping I could use Meander's furniture tokens in the same way I use Torstan's.

Thoughts?

P.S. New to all of this, and so the answer may be simple, and I'm missing it.

Thanks!

Padre Moto
July 19th, 2020, 04:25
I may have found my answer.

The Torstan assets that I thought were "tokens" are actually "images" and can be added to the map layer.

The Meander furniture tokens are just that: tokens, and not listed under images and so can't be added to the map layer.

Apparently not all .png files are made the same?

LordEntrails
July 19th, 2020, 05:29
Correct, 'tile' assets behavior differently than 'token' assets. But, I think you can place tokens as tiles and then they behave as tiles, but not sure.

But anyway, has very little to do with this thread, so should start a new thread if that doesn't answer your question.

Moon Wizard
July 19th, 2020, 06:52
We are working through the various map packs currently in the store; and converting them to be standard image assets for FGU (instead of tokens). It's taking some time, since we have to coordinate with the various DLC artists.

Regards,
JPG

Trazzm
July 23rd, 2020, 23:01
Just wanted to add my voice to the topic of token locking. I feel that this is a critical feature, especially with the LoS feature. Without LoS the GM could control access to information on the map with the manual masking process. If I want to use LoS with my maps in FGU I can no longer control access to map information. This makes me unwilling to switch from FGC to FGU until token locking is available. Thanks!

qdwag
July 27th, 2020, 06:28
Token locking is of paramount importance.
Just adding my experience from last weekend's game:

I migrated my players over from FGC to FGU. I thought I could trust them to not move around. Spent a lot of time building LOS walls. The minute they couldn't see anything, they'd grab their tokens and fly them around the map just to get a view of what was going on. I ended up having to nag them to stop but they'd still do it occasionally. This had never occurred in FGC for obvious reasons.

To me, it screwed up all the work I put into the map and the encounter. Please Smiteworks, get this feature in. It's been requested so many times already.