PDA

View Full Version : Multi Monitor Support

Kbrown
March 6th, 2020, 00:44
Hi guys I run 3 Monitors under windows 10 for extra area to work with ie 1 as main page, 1 as maps, and 1 as character info. Under FG current version is doesn't support multi monitors So does anyone know if the new Unity Software will?

LordEntrails
March 6th, 2020, 01:16
No.

You will have to stretch FGU across multi monitors like you can do with FGC. Their are significant technical challenges to other types of mult-moniotr support, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you what those are.

damned
March 6th, 2020, 01:49
primarily a lack of cross platform compatibility.

The High Druid
March 6th, 2020, 12:41
So does anyone know if the new Unity Software will?

No.

After waiting for several years for the update, this was a *huge* disappointment. Especially with it being the first item on the wishlist

damned
March 6th, 2020, 12:44
After waiting for several years for the update, this was a *huge* disappointment. Especially with it being the first item on the wishlist

Miss Universe contestants have been asking for World Peace for 25 years and it still hasnt happened.

Heres the choice -
Multi-monitor support but the Mac and Linux users cant play.
Or no Multi-monitor and Windows, Mac and Linux can all play.

Trenloe
March 6th, 2020, 13:41
I believe it was even more than just multi-platform support. There were limitation with doing it for Windows as well - it wasn’t really true multi, undocked windows.

notrealdan
March 6th, 2020, 15:37
The features that FGU will bring are well documented on the Kickstarter page. Please take a look:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/smiteworks/fantasy-grounds-unity/description

My understanding is that the main point of the move to Unity is to get FG on an engine that will allow the developers to add more features than the old engine would allow and also bring things like 64-bit support and cross-platform capability. Hopefully someday multi-monitor support will be one of those future features. I of course do not speak for Smiteworks, but they have been very clear IMO that FGU at release would be very similar to FGC so that they can get over the huge hurdle of getting FG onto the new engine in the first place.

New features take time and resources to develop and that's stuff their small dev team needs to be spending on FGU itself. After FGU releases and requires less development bandwidth, I'm sure they'll be looking at which features can and should be added next. Mutli-monitor support unfortunately is one feature that has some particularly difficult technical challenges (discussed many times before on this forum), so I would not expect it to come soon. I would love to see it happen, but it's just not realistic yet. The fact that you can already stretch FG across multiple monitors and the existence of extensions like FGTabber help mitigate the screen real estate issues in the meantime.

Nylanfs
March 6th, 2020, 17:21
There are very few professional programs that handle multi-monitor support well.

Valyar
March 6th, 2020, 18:23
First world problems.

The High Druid
March 6th, 2020, 21:31
Heres the choice -
Multi-monitor support but the Mac and Linux users cant play.
Or no Multi-monitor and Windows, Mac and Linux can all play.

I do wonder if the choice were really that simple.

For example, could we have had:
- multi-monitor for windows and have Mac and Linux using emulators, as they have to do for quite a lot of games anyway?
- multi-monitor for windows, and single screen for mac and Linux?

Fantasy Grounds eats screen real estate, and the window management is almost non-existent, so this feature would have made a huge quality-of-life difference for running games.

I'll keep making a bit of noise every time the subject crops up, in the hope it'll one day get sorted.

notrealdan
March 6th, 2020, 22:17
I do wonder if the choice were really that simple.

For example, could we have had:
- multi-monitor for windows and have Mac and Linux using emulators, as they have to do for quite a lot of games anyway?
- multi-monitor for windows, and single screen for mac and Linux?

Fantasy Grounds eats screen real estate, and the window management is almost non-existent, so this feature would have made a huge quality-of-life difference for running games.

I'll keep making a bit of noise every time the subject crops up, in the hope it'll one day get sorted.

Cross-platform support in the form of native Mac and Linux clients was a promise for FGU. Going back to WINE or something would be a big blow to those users. So would treating them like 2nd class citizens by leaving them out such a feature. I don't think either of those particular examples were ever viable options.

The devs at Smiteworks are smart. They're clearly aware of the desire for this feature and will probably do something about it when it's possible and practical. It's been discussed and is already on the top of the wishlist, so I don't see the value in making noise.

elJefe991
March 22nd, 2020, 14:50
First world problems.

Well, we're talking about playing imaginary elf-games on a computer, so yeah.