PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Basic D&D ruleset and modules?

theexxman
March 4th, 2020, 15:41
My question is, is there a Basic D&D rule set for Fantasy Grounds and modules like the Rules Cyclopedia and such. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Zacchaeus
March 4th, 2020, 15:49
I'm not sure what you mean by a basic ruleset. The 5e ruleset that comes with FG is a complete ruleset.

I think you may mean are there basic rules? If so then yes, you can find the basic rules in Library>Modules>D&D Basic Rules

pindercarl
March 4th, 2020, 15:56
I think he's referring to the BECMI rules. There is not an officially licensed ruleset for the Mentzer edition.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2020, 15:57
I'm not sure what you mean by a basic ruleset.
D&D Basic. The Red Box!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Basic_Set

There's no official Basic D&D ruleset or data. There are some threads in this forum discussing it: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?73-Classic-D-amp-D And I believe there is an application to scrape the Cyclopedia data, but I can't find it with a limited search.

theexxman
March 4th, 2020, 16:17
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Maybe I can find something. I'm also interested in 1st Edition AD&D and 2nd AD&D, but I have that ruleset and the PHB, DMG, and MM. I forgot about the Classic D&D section in the forums.

damned
March 5th, 2020, 02:55
Go with the AD&D ruleset for now. It really is very good.

Hybban
July 5th, 2020, 14:03
Go with the AD&D ruleset for now. It really is very good.

It's second edition, and I'd rather have 1st if I have to get over BECMI.

damned
July 5th, 2020, 15:33
Welcome Hybban

Both 1st and 2nd Editions were called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.
https://www.google.com/search?q=d%26d+2e+logo&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&biw=1920&bih=928

The rule differences between the two are not significant - certainly not relative to the similarities.
There is an extension to run 1st Edition pretty closely with the 2nd Edition ruleset.

celestian
July 5th, 2020, 19:52
It's second edition, and I'd rather have 1st if I have to get over BECMI.

What particular rules difference in 2E and 1E do you see makes 1E closer to Basic? I always thought the RulesCyclopedia of basic was closer to 2e than 1e. Other than the "attack matrix" which even is basic was ignored for THACO at times.

vainazzo
July 5th, 2020, 23:37
Yeah 2e didn't have much of a difference from 1e they were just trying to get Gary's name off if it so they didn't have to pay him anymore.

GavinRuneblade
July 18th, 2020, 20:17
What particular rules difference in 2E and 1E do you see makes 1E closer to Basic? I always thought the RulesCyclopedia of basic was closer to 2e than 1e. Other than the "attack matrix" which even is basic was ignored for THACO at times.

Going by memory, I think the biggest differences are what rules didn't exist in 1e originally, but got added over time and all were included in 2e. I agree with you I think 2e is closer to BECMI including the Expert and Companion rules. I think Basic specifically is closer to 1e. For example, paladins and bards. Originally didn't exist in 1e but got added along the way and were included in 2e. Similarly Paladins weren't in the Basic rules, but got added with Expert and Companion, bards never existed in BECMI. Half-elves and half-orcs also, not in BECMI, not originally in 1e, but are in 2e and orcs got added late in the BECMI run with the Gazeteer for humanoid races.

It's been a long time, and I never played much 1e or 2e so I might be misremembering. Despite the name, I always found them overly simplistic compared to BECMI which I preferred.

celestian
July 18th, 2020, 20:52
Originally didn't exist in 1e but got added along the way and were included in 2e.

oD&D did not include Paladins but 1E had them from the start. Also the Bard tho it's version is much different than current versions.

I like Basic up to 2e, it's all so similar that you can mix/match between them. The only thing I found annoying in some of them is the use of a matrix versus THACO. I found having to use a chart for hit/misses was a little to tedious for me ;)

GavinRuneblade
July 19th, 2020, 18:48
oD&D did not include Paladins but 1E had them from the start. Also the Bard tho it's version is much different than current versions.

I like Basic up to 2e, it's all so similar that you can mix/match between them. The only thing I found annoying in some of them is the use of a matrix versus THACO. I found having to use a chart for hit/misses was a little to tedious for me ;)

Thanks! Appreciate that clarification, I thought I might have been misremembering. And yes, the use of tables for everything was not my favorite part of some editions.