PDA

View Full Version : 5E Monster Concentration

Klandare
March 3rd, 2020, 05:48
I was talking with another FG DM today and he was complaining about one thing he was running into with some monsters/NPC's in FG. Not all of the spells they may have the spell block setup needed for concentration. Specifically he was mentioning one of the mages in Dungeon of the Mad Mage has Wall of Force but there is not concentration effect that he could drop on himself so it had the possibility of it getting knocked off during the fight (he ended up just having it up the whole fight).

I did figure out that if you just throw a new effect on the monster of (C) then it will take that as concentration and roll when needed.

Is it just an oversight that not all of the spells/effects that require concentration are listed for monsters? (Oddly enough, there are spells on the same monster that DO have the concentration effect as something that is there when needed but I think they are mostly when you are applying an effect against another creature.)

Thanks.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2020, 11:34
Yes, not every spell has an effect created for it. Most spell effects are created using the internal parser but some are 'hard coded' because the parser just can't figure out what is required from the wording. I'll mention this one to Moon Wizard and perhaps he can add it to the hard coded list in due course.

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2020, 18:29
This is addressed in v3.3.10. NPCs will have a highlighted effect for "Duration: Concentration"; and PCs will automatically create an effect action if no other effects exist.

Regards,
JPG

4wire
March 3rd, 2020, 21:30
This is addressed in v3.3.10. NPCs will have a highlighted effect for "Duration: Concentration"; and PCs will automatically create an effect action if no other effects exist.

Regards,
JPG

Awesome!

Klandare
March 4th, 2020, 05:17

Regards,
JPG

Great work!

Thanks.