PDA

View Full Version : New installers for Windows and Mac

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2020, 00:36
We just pushed new installers and updaters for Windows and Mac to address crash conditions that some users were having.

Windows Installer
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.exe

Mac Installer
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.pkg

Thanks,
JPG

Cdub
March 3rd, 2020, 01:01
That worked, my previous v0.33 error is now gone on Mac.

niknas
March 3rd, 2020, 15:14
Not sure if it's related, but had a working FGU and haved had multiple successful updates, but today the updater itself was updated (!) and after having done it's business just closed itself off. Trying to run FGU and update gives me:
[3/3/2020 4:14:20 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/3/2020 4:14:23 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (D:/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

Attached screenshot of current FGU directory.

Windows installer btw.

tiawaz
March 3rd, 2020, 15:16
Unfortunately i am still stuck with a non working v0.33 updater with this version.

Tried uninstaller script, which does not work btw.
Manually removed the install and reinstalled, no success.
Let the installer remove the installed version, no success.
Manuall removed the Logs folder and unity.smiteworks... folder from $HOME/Library/Logs and $HOME/Library/Application Support, no success.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2020, 17:28
Not sure if it's related, but had a working FGU and haved had multiple successful updates, but today the updater itself was updated (!) and after having done it's business just closed itself off. Trying to run FGU and update gives me:
[3/3/2020 4:14:23 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Updater: Unable to locate program (D:/Fantasy Grounds/FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe)

Windows installer btw.

Delete the _OLD file and copy the contents of the _NEW folder into the directory and run FG.

redeyesofnight
March 3rd, 2020, 17:41
Unfortunately i am still stuck with a non working v0.33 updater with this version.

Tried uninstaller script, which does not work btw.
Manually removed the install and reinstalled, no success.
Let the installer remove the installed version, no success.
Manuall removed the Logs folder and unity.smiteworks... folder from $HOME/Library/Logs and $HOME/Library/Application Support, no success.

To help diagnose this error, could you take these steps please?
1: Run the updater, if you're getting the v0.33 error, you can force close it pretty quickly as the relevant info will already be in the log I need
2: Find the log file at ~/Library/Logs/SmiteWorks/FGUpdaterEngine/Player.log
(If you can't access it via finder, you could open a Terminal and copy it to your desktop - cp ~/Library/Logs/SmiteWorks/FGUpdaterEngine/Player.log ~/Desktop/
3: Email it to [email protected]

This should help me track down your issue.
Thanks!

redeyesofnight
March 3rd, 2020, 17:44

Windows installer btw.

I've seen similar reports.
If you haven't done as Zacchaeus said yet and the folder state is the same, could you please post (or email [email protected]) your FantasyGroundsUpdater.log?
There is no sensitive information in this log.
The other reports indicate that the updater can't delete some files and this is the cause of the trouble.

Neovirtus
March 3rd, 2020, 17:59
To be clear, should we be updating the old launcher and receiving this build? Or should we uninstall and use the new installer to get a new updater?

Moon Wizard
March 3rd, 2020, 21:29
Another round of new installers posted. Please try again, if you were having issues and let us know any details you have.

Regards,
JPG

redeyesofnight
March 3rd, 2020, 21:34
To be clear, should we be updating the old launcher and receiving this build? Or should we uninstall and use the new installer to get a new updater?

I would grab the new installer at this point.
I made several changes and fixes today and we just uploaded a new updater to test.

Neovirtus
March 3rd, 2020, 21:43
I would grab the new installer at this point.
I made several changes and fixes today and we just uploaded a new updater to test.

Great, thanks! I think the updater was one of the few things that still felt like beta software. If we're able to successfully patch up and connect to games reliably at this point I think we'll be able to get a lot more testing done. Appreciate all the bug squashing!

niknas
March 3rd, 2020, 22:10
Yep, my issues with win10 installer and not-relaunching updater after update of updater is working now.

tiawaz
March 3rd, 2020, 23:30
Downloaded the latest Mac Installer Version as recommended, and lo and behold, it started working.

tcdo
March 6th, 2020, 17:14
I've just read the Kickstarter project update #29 dated today (3/6/2020), which touts new installers for both FGC and FGU and announces v.3.3.10. I had read this thread yesterday, after which I downloaded and ran the new Mac installer for FGU (without deinstalling anything first; macOS users aren't used to deinstalling things and typically need instructions for what to deinstall if something really needs it). I've just quickly launched my copies of FGC (running on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 in a Wineskin) and FGU and run their installers just to see if there are any differences. Here's what I see:

FGC: welcome window shows v.3.3.10, updater says v3.3.8, nothing to update, nothing updated
FGU: welcome window shows v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-03-03), updater says v4.0.0, nothing to update but FantasyGrounds downloaded anyway and then not saved, which AFAIK is usual behavior when it didn't need updating (74.4MB is larger than the <70MB file of last week)

I *think* my software is all up to date but can't quite tell. Certainly 4.0.0 is beyond 3.3.10 and 3.3.8 is before it (but if it yields a 3.3.10 maybe that's just the label?). Is the FG download in FGU expected behavior at this point? Does anything about this look suspect to you (in particular the bandwidth downloading a file it then doesn't implement seems weird to me), or is it all working just fine given its beta status?

Moon Wizard
March 6th, 2020, 17:49
I believe that everything is fine. The v3.3.8 on FGC updater is because the updater for FGC hasn't needed to be updated since that version. The build date on FGU client (i.e. date after version number) is correct.

Just let us know if you have any trouble updating or running the app.

Regards,
JPG

Neovirtus
March 7th, 2020, 03:51
I just used this new installer, and installed to a secondary hard drive. After installing, it said the Updater would launch, but it did not. The shortcut on the desktop also did not work (because it was pointing to the .exe for the software which hadn't been installed yet due to the updater not running). After manually running the updater, everything seemed to work great. Now I'll keep my eye on the next couple updating processes.

redeyesofnight
March 7th, 2020, 16:03
I've just read the Kickstarter project update #29 dated today (3/6/2020), which touts new installers for both FGC and FGU and announces v.3.3.10. I had read this thread yesterday, after which I downloaded and ran the new Mac installer for FGU (without deinstalling anything first; macOS users aren't used to deinstalling things and typically need instructions for what to deinstall if something really needs it). I've just quickly launched my copies of FGC (running on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 in a Wineskin) and FGU and run their installers just to see if there are any differences. Here's what I see:

FGC: welcome window shows v.3.3.10, updater says v3.3.8, nothing to update, nothing updated
FGU: welcome window shows v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-03-03), updater says v4.0.0, nothing to update but FantasyGrounds downloaded anyway and then not saved, which AFAIK is usual behavior when it didn't need updating (74.4MB is larger than the <70MB file of last week)

I *think* my software is all up to date but can't quite tell. Certainly 4.0.0 is beyond 3.3.10 and 3.3.8 is before it (but if it yields a 3.3.10 maybe that's just the label?). Is the FG download in FGU expected behavior at this point? Does anything about this look suspect to you (in particular the bandwidth downloading a file it then doesn't implement seems weird to me), or is it all working just fine given its beta status?

As Moon Wizard said, this sounds like it's working properly, though a little bit hard to tell what you mean in some parts.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "updater says v4.0.0, nothing to update but FantasyGrounds downloaded anyway and then not saved". When you were in your existing Fantasy Grounds install, was the "update" button not glowing? Was Fantasy Grounds just the same version date) as it was previously?

It sounds like basically you were up to date, then tried the new installer, yes? Which then went on to update Fantasy Grounds anyway, possibly with the same version? There's a few checks in the updater client to see if things need updating, between file integrity check and checking the actual build number in our build system for a product. I'm not sure exactly the incongruity here, but generally FG is expected to download after a new install, so your experience sounds basically as expected.