PDA

View Full Version : How do you turn on Line of Sight?

tysonxy
March 1st, 2020, 17:06
I might be completely missing something obvious here. But I cannot figure out how to turn on LOS. I am using maps from DnD 5E, Draghon Heist. Last I saw the walls and stuff were there from FG and shouldn't need to be put in manually.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Kelrugem
March 1st, 2020, 17:12
I might be completely missing something obvious here. But I cannot figure out how to turn on LOS. I am using maps from DnD 5E, Draghon Heist. Last I saw the walls and stuff were there from FG and shouldn't need to be put in manually.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

Do you know of this wiki page: https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950633/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM#Using-the-Image-Control ? :)

In the play mode is some eye button, that will activate the LoS :)

tysonxy
March 1st, 2020, 20:18
That's Great! Very helpful. However, I still can't quite figure it out.

Here is a more detail explanation.

I use FG to run out DnD game and project it on the table with a projector. I use it for the map almost exclusively. I run one instance as the DM to move all the tokens around. I run a second instance on the same PC and display it on the projector as a second monitor. That way the players only see what is on the projector.

What I would like to do is have that second player screen(the projector) have line of sight on so I don't need to manage it.

After looking through the info you linked to me, I can see that the walls/doors and everything are there for LoS to work. But if I drop a token down(PC or NPC) LoS does not seem to work. It just stays masked. I feel like there is probably something really basic that I am missing. Like a way for a token to be enabled for LoS. Is that the case?

Thanks for any help. I know it's probably something really basic I'm missing.

Halfront
March 1st, 2020, 20:31
In the second instance as a player do you a PC under control and selected?

tysonxy
March 1st, 2020, 20:44
In the second instance as a player do you a PC under control and selected?

I’ve tried it with the player/token under my control(as the DM) AND with the second instance (as the player) having control. And just for good measure NPC’s as well.

It almost seems like all characters and tokens are being treated as NPC’s as far as the mask goes.

LordEntrails
March 1st, 2020, 22:05
Where are you dropping the token down from? If you are not draging/dropping the token from the combat tracker, then it is not a PC token (even though you might think it is).

Zacchaeus
March 1st, 2020, 22:08
Only the DM can turn on and off LOS on the DM client. You can't affect such things on a player client. Make sure then that you drag the PC/NPC tokens from the CT onto the map on the DM side. As soon as you do so then the LOS should work on the client side. Selecting the token DM side or client side and moving it should then change the LOS.

tysonxy
March 2nd, 2020, 03:16
Only the DM can turn on and off LOS on the DM client. You can't affect such things on a player client. Make sure then that you drag the PC/NPC tokens from the CT onto the map on the DM side. As soon as you do so then the LOS should work on the client side. Selecting the token DM side or client side and moving it should then change the LOS.

Is there a specific option I need to choose as the DM client to turn LoS on? I have not done that. I haven't seen anywhere to denable/disable that. Maybe that is what I am missing???

I am also dragging the token from the CT.

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2020, 03:32
Is there a specific option I need to choose as the DM client to turn LoS on? I have not done that. I haven't seen anywhere to denable/disable that. Maybe that is what I am missing???
Are you in Play Mode?

See the last section in the wiki page linked previously; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950633/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM#Using-Dynamic-Line-of-Sight-for-Maps

Copernicus219
March 2nd, 2020, 03:36
So here is what I've found by messing around with LOS. If you have a map that is opened from the Images & Maps button, your map will be displayed. To see options for the map, go to the top right of the map window and unlock the little lock icon. Once unlocked you should see the tan box that has all the map options. To see exactly where your walls and doors are set up, click on the icon that looks like a brick, then you will see a lot of red lines on the map, click back on the Icon that looks like a 20-sided die to enter the play mode. To toggle the LOS, click the icon that looks like an eye. I've attached an image pointing out these icons. If these steps aren't working, it could be a bug.

ddavison
March 2nd, 2020, 21:42
You should be able to test it out purely on the GM side first and then once you confirm that it works, share it with the players and run from there.
https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/950633/Working+with+Images+as+the+GM#Using-Dynamic-Line-of-Sight-for-Maps

On the player side, please note that you can select multiple PCs as well.

OutaYerElement
April 2nd, 2020, 00:21
Are there any plans to change the workflow for getting LOS on for running a map? As a first timer to fantasy grounds, this seems incredibly arcane (and not in a good way!). Why should the map with built-in LOS have to be unlocked to enable the thing that is integral to it? I spent two hours last night trying to make this work on my LMOP purchase with my unlimited license (and yes, I tried looking in the manual - that's arcane, too! when you're trying to "run a game" who would think to look in "working with images as the DM?") not trying to rant - glad this forum is here, and I'm still excited about fantasy ground unity as a whole. just wondering how things may be improved. cheers.

Moon Wizard
April 2nd, 2020, 00:26
I can think of several reasons. I'm sure there are others, but that's just off the top of my head.

1. You don't want to accidentally be changing LoS while you're just trying to play.
2. There are so many tools for LoS and other new features, that there needs to be a new space to place all that information.
3. You don't want/need all the tools, if you're just trying to show an image handout to the players.

Regards,
JPG

OutaYerElement
April 2nd, 2020, 00:34
I'm just saying wouldn't it be cool and intuitive to use if a consumer who bought the module with the "LOS" icon there could just drag tokens from the combat tracker to the map and LOS just started working. Having to unlock the map to make LOS work in the first place adds risk that you "accidentally be changing LoS while you're just trying to play." (or at least just get ready to). I'm ok with a new space to add all that new information like you mentioned, and I totally know it's beta - that's totally cool - my question was "are there plans to change the workflow?" How can we make this easier and more intuitive?

OutaYerElement
April 2nd, 2020, 00:37
maybe separating images (as in handouts to players) from maps would be a simple way to differentiate.

ddavison
April 2nd, 2020, 01:05
Thanks for the feedback OutaYerElement. I could see some benefit to having the LOS toggle available on the toolbar that is available even when the image is locked. We will talk it over internally. Sometimes there are other considerations that we need to work through to find the best solution.

pollux
April 2nd, 2020, 02:07
Thanks for the feedback OutaYerElement. I could see some benefit to having the LOS toggle available on the toolbar that is available even when the image is locked. We will talk it over internally. Sometimes there are other considerations that we need to work through to find the best solution.

FWIW, I also find the toolbar plus the edit sidebar to be quite a weird experience, nearly everything in the toolbar is duplicated in the sidebar... which also has much more stuff and has a better structure for adding more things in the future. Consider:

Move ALL the toolbar functionality into the default page of the sidebar.
Move the lock/unlock toggle into the sidebar.
Leave some mechanism to show/hide the sidebar lying around... either right-click or a button in permanent view, or just mouse-over the edge of the image.
Gray-out the additional tabs in the sidebar until the the unlock toggle is flipped. Once in edit-mode, the additional tabs become clickable and we can leave the default sidebar page to perform read/write activities that require the image to be unlocked like LoS and map-editing.

This would reduce the number of duplicate ways to perform the same task that exist between the toolbar and sidebar, eliminate the "edit to enable LoS" problem (which I agree with OutaYerElement is a conceptually a play task and not an editing task), and it would consolidate functionality in the sidebar... which is a well-crafted UI element that is structured to scale to a large number of operations (much more so than the toolbar or the radial menu).

Tindjin
August 15th, 2021, 01:21
how does a person get access to this site? I signed up but it still gives me a denial for a restricted place. Thanks.

LordEntrails
August 15th, 2021, 03:14
how does a person get access to this site? I signed up but it still gives me a denial for a restricted place. Thanks.
To what site?
The help/wiki site has moved in the last year. Use the links on the top of the web page (Help > FG Unity Wiki) when links you find to any of the atlassian sites don't work.